Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Webbie sony camera and iMovie

Webbie sony camera and iMovie
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi

I was wondering : is it possible to use this camera http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644610396 and edit the movies in iMovie ? The video output is H.264/MPEG 4 AVC.

Thank you
S k y p a t

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 16, 2009, 09:27 AM

I'm looking to get the same camera and have the same question. I am assuming it will work since it is h.264 mp4.
Unless I hear confirmation that it will not work then I'm going to get one in the next couple weeks and will try it myself.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2009, 11:13 AM

The ad says: "The HD MP4 format is highly versatile, making your media files small enough to easily transfer them to your PC or Mac via USB."

nexus5

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 16, 2009, 12:24 PM

I don't think there is any question whether the files can be moved to the mac. The question is whether they are natively (read: without transcoding) editable/playable in iMovie.

Thorzdad
Jan 16, 2009, 02:11 PM

This from the Features page would make me wonder...
With pre-installed Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Portable software, the Webbie makes it simple to pre-select videos or pictures for viewing on your PC. It also makes it easy to upload to popular internet sharing sites like YouTube�.
It sounds like you might need to go through the Sony software to get stuff onto your hd. I'd bet that it doesn't interface with iMovie directly, knowing Sony.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 16, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
This from the Features page would make me wonder...

It sounds like you might need to go through the Sony software to get stuff onto your hd. I'd bet that it doesn't interface with iMovie directly, knowing Sony.
Sony says the pc software does not work on a mac, but the videos obviously do (hence stated mac support), but you don't get sonys (probably no so good anyway) software. That is all.

Again, the only question is, will the videos, once copied from the camera/mem stick to a mac natively work in iMovie without transcoding. The assumption is yes since Sony is using a standard format that Apple likes. THe only issue might be if sony has it in some bizarre config that makes it not directly compatible. It's terribly unlikely but possible.

Things known:

1) The device works with a mac (stated support)
2) The videos will play back on a mac (again stated support)

Unknown: Do the videos, once copied from the device work natively, that is without transcoding, in iMovie for editing.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 21, 2009, 05:12 PM

It looks like the answer to this question is "no" iMovie will not natively edit H.264 mp4 video. it will have to be transcoded to something else to edit. As stated though QT will play the unaltered files though.

It so happens that this format though is the format of most (inc. Flip HD) of these small HD camcorders. So not much of a choice there.

My understanding is that h.264 mp4 is a intended as a "delivery" format, not an editing format. So it is more of a matter of h.264 not being designed for iMovie/FCP/FCE (a digital editor) than iMovie/FCE/FCP not being designed to support h.264.

I found some of this info from posts on the apple message board regarding FCP and the webbie.

So the question becomes, what is the best way to transcode the video for least quality degradation.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
It looks like the answer to this question is "no" iMovie will not natively edit H.264 mp4 video. it will have to be transcoded to something else to edit. As stated though QT will play the unaltered files though.
I don't have a camera that creates h.264 videos, but that's the format I convert all my movies into using QuickTime, and iMovie '08 has no problem taking these h.264 videos and editing them. No transcoding is taking place.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 22, 2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I don't have a camera that creates h.264 videos, but that's the format I convert all my movies into using QuickTime, and iMovie '08 has no problem taking these h.264 videos and editing them. No transcoding is taking place.
Hi TETENAL, that is interesting and good news, but conflicting with other stuff I have read. I ordered a Sony Webbie yesterday so I'll know for sure early next week on how iMovie deals with the h.264 from the webbie.

Thanks for your info.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:43 PM

So does it work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules