Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Special Border police made up of Canadians and Americans with equal access

Special Border police made up of Canadians and Americans with equal access
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2012, 04:45 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/07/10/cross-border-policing-integration-sovereignty.html?cmp=rss

I thought I was going to have a problem with this when I first read the reactions on facebook then the start of the article. But I am actually ok with this. Only because it works both ways and the officers are under the direction of citizen of the country which ever side of the border they are in. Its currently only marine coverage but is expected to extend to land protection soon. I do wonder what kind of uproar will occur if a situation ever results in a American cop killing a Canadian on the Canadian side or a Canadian cop killing a American on the US side. This has been pretty quiet, its the first I've seen about it. Im curious of other peoples reactions of foreign cops operating on both sides of the border.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2012, 04:08 PM

I don't have problem with this in principle. But then, I realize this is merely about the pointless War on Drugs, and my comfort level tips over.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 13, 2012, 04:35 PM

One would assume that after an arrest, the suspect must be taken to a police station in the same country. That this isn't a fishing license, to hot pursue anyone and drag them across the border.

Forum Links
Forum Rules