Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Long Delay for Connection after Wake Up

Long Delay for Connection after Wake Up
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 08:14 AM

As I discussed in this iMac thread, when I wake my iMac (mid 2007 aluminum), it takes quite a while for it to connect to the Internet. I have it wired to my router so wireless interference or negotiating a connection isn't a real problem, but I do also have my AirPort card turned on.

I thought it was a DNS issue and messed with (actually fixed) my server settings and that seemed to help for a short time, but now I again have the long delay before getting a connection.

Should I turn off the AirPort card and see if that helps? I'm 100% certain my cabling is OK, because once I get a connection everything is quite fast.

Any other ideas?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2009, 08:46 AM

You can reorder your network interfaces in the System Preferences' Network pane.

Check that Airport is listed first in order.

When you wake up the machine, it attempts to get connected to a network, working through the devices in the order listed there.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 08:49 AM

I'd try these things:

• shut AP off, see if the issue persists with Ethernet only

• use only OpenDNS IPs (that means setting them on the AP base station and your iMac and removing all others)

• see if the issue persists if you run an app like Skype - for some reason it seems to be very good at opening connections or probing for new connections

• is it a NAS router? Does bridge mode change anything? Or (if you can) plug the iMac directly into your cable/DSL modem. Any change?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 17, 2009, 05:02 PM

It might be the computer itself because I have a similar problem with my PowerBook but not with my desktop PowerMac. My PowerBook takes a few seconds to reconnect to the internet but my PowerMac is almost instant when it wakes from sleep mode.

I always thought it was related to the physical technology of the computer itself and not software related because my PowerBook has had three generations of OS X installed while having the same connecting issue when it wakes up.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 18, 2009, 05:55 PM

Well I've turned off the AP card and it seems to be quicker now. Not as fast as my wife's MB, but definitely quicker. I haven't switched the DNS settings yet-I want to see if this improvement actually sticks first.

Endless, I think it's something I've done since I set the machine up, not the machine itself. I just hadn't gotten fed up enough about it to start complaining until recently. I have managed to fill the waiting time (starting many solitaire games while waiting), but I just finally decided enough was enough.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

I have this problem on my iMac also. While the Airport connection is hooking back up after sleep, I can't even access any other apps but the finder. It takes about 10-15 seconds.

I have opendns domains in the base station; the dns server in the network pane is the base station; the domain there is open.dns.

I don't know what generation my iMac is, I lost track--I got it new some months back.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules