Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 03:31 AM

The game comes out tomorrow. With all the hype it's generating, I'm surprised no one has created a thread yet. So far it looks like kcrosbie, Rumor & I are the only ones getting this game. Sek is still on the fence. Anyone else getting it?

I heard that the first 5 minutes of ME 2 has a nice recap of what happened in ME1. That's nice because I haven't played the first one yet. I was surprised to read that decisions you made in the previous game actually effect the outcome of ME 2.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Rumor
Jan 26, 2010, 04:36 AM

While I have it on pre-order, I will probably wait until Thursday to pick it up. This will give me enough time to finish the first one and not interfere with school until then.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Jan 26, 2010, 04:27 PM

Couldn't wait. However, i will finish the first one tonight before firing up ME2.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2010, 06:44 PM

Played the first one... beat it... probably won't buy this one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2010, 12:18 AM

Big question for me is, do I bother with the first one, which I have sitting on my shelf?

Who the **** am I kidding? I still haven't finished Fallout yet.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2010, 01:00 AM

Well I bought it tonight, but haven't played it yet. I will be here shortly. I pre-ordered it at GameStop to get the Terminus armor and the black hole gun. I thought it would be as easy to just input it in the code redemption on X-box live, but nope. You have to register at EA's website and enter the code there. Before you do it, make sure your account is linked to your gamertag or you'll waste your code!

Rumor
Jan 27, 2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Well I bought it tonight, but haven't played it yet. I will be here shortly. I pre-ordered it at GameStop to get the Terminus armor and the black hole gun. I thought it would be as easy to just input it in the code redemption on X-box live, but nope. You have to register at EA's website and enter the code there. Before you do it, make sure your account is linked to your gamertag or you'll waste your code!
Damn, I was hoping those directions were for the PC version.

What also sucks: I can't find my code for the Blood Dragon armor. It was something you could get for ME2 if you had pre-ordered Dragon Age. While I didn't pre-order it, it did come with the copy of DA I bought from Gamestop.

Rumor
Jan 27, 2010, 02:57 AM

Seems that since I have game data on my HD for DA, the Blood Dragon armor was available for download.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
After you enter the code in, it'll let you download the files for the PC version as well. At least, it gave me that option.

I'm digging it so far. Great opening sequence. I forgot a lot of the story of the first Mass Effect, but they did a great job of recapping what happened.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 12:06 PM

Great game so far. I like the upgrading system a lot more, and load times are a huge update. I was up till about 11 playing it. Running great maxed out at 1920x1200. I can see going through this one several times like I did the first just to try different scenarios.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2010, 01:56 PM

What also sucks: I can't find my code for the Blood Dragon armor. It was something you could get for ME2 if you had pre-ordered Dragon Age. While I didn't pre-order it, it did come with the copy of DA I bought from Gamestop.
I haven't bought the game yet, but MS mistakenly posted all of the free pre-order DLC on the store for anyone to grab the other day. Luckily I was able to get them all before they were removed.

Now I just need to beat the first one and buy the second.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Rumor
Jan 27, 2010, 02:29 PM

Lucky for you.

It looks like I will be getting on the horn with EA customer support later since my gamertag seems to be attached to another account.

I am not happy with the way they required obtaining the pre-order DLC. It really just seems like masked data mining. I really don't want to jump through hoops to get it. Entering a code (like with the Cerberus network code included) works just fine.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I haven't bought the game yet, but MS mistakenly posted all of the free pre-order DLC on the store for anyone to grab the other day. Luckily I was able to get them all before they were removed.
How many DLC content packages were there and what were the names? The only one I got was the Normandy crash site.

Lucky for you.

It looks like I will be getting on the horn with EA customer support later since my gamertag seems to be attached to another account.

I am not happy with the way they required obtaining the pre-order DLC. It really just seems like masked data mining. I really don't want to jump through hoops to get it. Entering a code (like with the Cerberus network code included) works just fine.
Sorry to hear your code doesn't work. Yea like I said earlier, it's kind of a pain. I hate registering on a website that I'll never use. Just let us put the damn code in X-Box live and be done with it!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 10:39 AM

How many DLC content packages were there and what were the names? The only one I got was the Normandy crash site.
Here are all the ones I got:

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Rumor
Jan 29, 2010, 12:58 AM

Damn, why didn't you tell anyone about this?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2010, 11:20 PM

Damn, why didn't you tell anyone about this?
Yeah! What he said! WTF!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2010, 09:43 PM

Christ! The game hasn't been out for a week and Toys R Us already has Mass Effect 2 on sale for $44.95!

If this kind of stuff keeps happening with new releases, I ain't gonna pre-order games anymore and buy them the day they come out! Don't care what exclusives they come with!

Just watch. Someone will put a sale on Bioshock 2 shortly after its release date.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; Jan 31, 2010 at 09:53 PM. )

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 06:14 PM

How is the gameplay performance on the 360 compared to the first ME? I really liked the first one a lot but my pet peeve was the choppy gameplay.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2010, 05:47 PM

Much better. Not nearly as choppy. The upgraded weapons/armor system is much more simplistic in the 2nd one. I'm about halfway through it. Taking my time trying to upgrade everything in the game. Lovin' all of it!

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 06:19 PM

Just watch. Someone will put a sale on Bioshock 2 shortly after its release date.
The PC version already has a darn good sale. Pre-order it, get $5 off and Bioshock for free.

In other news, I picked up Mass Effect 2 today. Haven't played it yet, but I'm certainly excited.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 09:06 PM

Who cares? We're getting it for free.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2010, 05:31 PM

Umm?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2010, 11:34 PM

Our brother works for 2K Sports. He's gonna hook us up a copy since it's a 2K game.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 12:14 AM

Cool, you've got connections in the industry.

If I get it, I'll probably get "free" with one of the gift certificates I've received.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 04:12 PM

Very good game. Finished it in about 18 hours spending plenty of time on side quests and upgrading.
Still much much to short in my books. The first one took about 10 hours and 9 of them were spent in an elevator.

All the huge problems from the first are solved. No more horrible frame rate (other than some cut scenes), no more elevators, no more cluttered inventory.

Just wish the damn thing was longer!!!!

Oh and I heard at least 2 BSG actors in it.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2010, 10:41 PM

Sprinkles, did you get to level 30 on your first playthrough?

Rumor
Feb 14, 2010, 05:02 PM

I doubt I am the only one who thinks gathering resources is tedious at best.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 06:39 PM

Nope, launching probes and scanning planets took 30% of my time and I LOVED IT!

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2010, 10:05 PM

I do despise the resource gathering... And the galaxy map, when you have to fly around. It just seems awkward and unnecessary.

Love the rest though!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Very good game. Finished it in about 18 hours spending plenty of time on side quests and upgrading.
Really? Only 18 hours? Dude, I just beat it last night and had a total of 48 hours, although I did spend an enormous amount of time scanning. I did every side mission possible, upgraded everything, got to level 28 and kept my entire team alive through the end of the game. I just started the game in insane difficulty so I can go for my last achievement. Going to be fun!

Great f'n game! Can't wait for ME3!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2010, 02:59 PM

Really? Only 18 hours? Dude, I just beat it last night and had a total of 48 hours, although I did spend an enormous amount of time scanning. I did every side mission possible, upgraded everything, got to level 28 and kept my entire team alive through the end of the game. I just started the game in insane difficulty so I can go for my last achievement. Going to be fun!

Great f'n game! Can't wait for ME3!
So you can get through the whole game without any teammates dropping dead? I had 2 of them die on the final mission. What can you do to prevent it? Choose the right one?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2010, 10:55 PM

So you can get through the whole game without any teammates dropping dead? I had 2 of them die on the final mission. What can you do to prevent it? Choose the right one?
No one left behind achievement

Many guides there. There are many ways to do it. Keep these in mind:

- You need to fully upgrade the Normandy (Silaris Armor, Cyclonic Barrier Shielding, and Thanix Cannon).
- You need to have either enough Paragon or Renegade points to keep all your team mates loyal when they get upset with each other (you have to have the ability to say something good or evil when they're squabbling).
- You need to gain the loyalty of all characters.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 02:56 PM

I thought it was tedious until I got the Normandy upgrade that speeds up probing considerably (about 3x as fast). I can't remember what the upgrade was called, though.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 02:59 PM

Much better. Not nearly as choppy. The upgraded weapons/armor system is much more simplistic in the 2nd one. I'm about halfway through it. Taking my time trying to upgrade everything in the game. Lovin' all of it!
Thanks for this feeback, btw. After reading this I decided to pick up the game and am loving it. The gameplay is MUCH smoother overall then in the first one, which is awesome. I do wish they hadn't simplified things quite so much, but overall I'm liking ME2 more then ME1.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 03:08 PM

No one left behind achievement

Many guides there. There are many ways to do it. Keep these in mind:

- You need to fully upgrade the Normandy (Silaris Armor, Cyclonic Barrier Shielding, and Thanix Cannon).
- You need to have either enough Paragon or Renegade points to keep all your team mates loyal when they get upset with each other (you have to have the ability to say something good or evil when they're squabbling).
- You need to gain the loyalty of all characters.
Strange I thought I had all those things. Perhaps not the Paragon though. Lost my 2 fav characters

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2010, 04:06 PM

Which 2 characters?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Which 2 characters?
Robot and big lizard dude.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 12:21 AM

Robot and big lizard dude.
Legion...

Then the Krogan called Grunt or the assassin Thane?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Legion...

Then the Krogan called Grunt or the assassin Thane?
Grunt. Both got offed in a cut scene with no warning in the last ship levels,

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2010, 12:16 AM

You have to choose the correct characters when you choose. Refer to the link of the guides that I posted earlier in the thread.

So anyways, I'm going through the game on insane difficulty and I gotta say, it is way tougher than normal. The entire strategy on how you play is changed. Using your biotics, ducking and covering, assigning squad teammates to certain areas and using the right ammo is key. I've gotten so much better at the game by playing on insane it's ridiculous! Not to mention, the first time I played through, I made all paragon choices. It's fun seeing it though the 2nd time around now that I'm doing all renegade choices/answers.

Rumor
Feb 23, 2010, 09:51 PM

Just beat it last night, made it to lv 27.

I started a second playthrough at lv 27 and hoped I would be able to choose a new class. Since I can't, I may start from the beginning with the imported ME1 character.

Rumor
Feb 25, 2010, 09:56 PM

I imported my ME1 char and made him an Infiltrator. I also put it on Insanity. Anyone played a bit with that class?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2010, 04:19 PM

Just beat it last night, made it to lv 27.

I've always played the game as a soldier class. Maybe I should switch it up once I beat the insanity difficulty. Still got a ways to go.

Here's an announcement regarding the next DLC on the Cerebus Network:

Bioware has announced more DLC hitting the Cerberus Network in late March. The new batch of DLC will include the Hammerhead Tank and five new missions.

The Hammerhead tank zooms across the battlefield at speeds up to 120 kilometers per hour (that is almost 75 miles per hour for us Americans).While hovering or maneuvering around enemy fire, the Hammerhead features a guided missile system that allows you to blow enemies sky high, and still enjoy that refreshing cup of coffee.

I'm always down for some extra missions!

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2010, 04:37 PM

Regarding Mordin:

Rumor
Feb 27, 2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Regarding Mordin:

Hmm, I didn't assign him to anything. Perhaps that was the problem.

Jessicam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2010, 11:16 PM

Mas effect 2 has a import save feature from mass effect 1, so I don't see how a PS3 version would work. The game is selling very well, there is no reason for a PS3 version. Just buy a 360 arcade unit if you want to play it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jessicam View Post
Mas effect 2 has a import save feature from mass effect 1, so I don't see how a PS3 version would work. The game is selling very well, there is no reason for a PS3 version. Just buy a 360 arcade unit if you want to play it.
Umm, Who in here mentioned the PS3? Did someone get their post deleted, I missed? If they wanted to that isn't a big deal. It would work like it currently does if you have and XBox 360 or PC and never played the first. Just create a new character and go, import is optional not mandatory.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2010, 11:20 PM

So I'm still going through the game on Veteran getting all the renegade points and...

Rumor
Mar 10, 2010, 12:30 AM

I imported my ME1 char and made him an Infiltrator. I also put it on Insanity. Anyone played a bit with that class?
Insanity is quite the challenge. It would probably be easier with the Soldier class.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2010, 11:19 PM

More goodies from the Cerebus Network

BioWare have revealed even more free DLC for their epic Mass Effect 2. This time, the freebie is a fancy new heavy weapon.

The 'Arc Projector' is now available through the Cerberus Network, which BioWare say 'is capable of discharging a massive electrical blast that can jump to multiple targets.' Nice.

May come in handy on my insane campaign.

Forum Links
Forum Rules