Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp freezing upon selection of Windows

Bootcamp freezing upon selection of Windows
MookieRah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 05:40 PM

I'm gonna preface this with the fact that this is the second time this has happened to me, and yet it is seemingly a very rare problem, as nobody seems to know the answer to dealing with this.

Basically what happened is that on my Windows partition I installed Alcohol 120 so I wouldn't have to switch to mac to burn something real quick. It required a windows restart to install. After that, whenever I selected the windows partition everything would freeze. The last time this happened someone mentioned to reset my PRAM and things were fine. This time I haven't been so lucky. I tried resetting my PRAM, and I got nothing. Thinking that maybe, unlike before, it might be a Windows problem, I deleted the partition and tried to reinstall it. Sadly, whenever it tries to load the cd on startup, it freezes, and if I select the windows cd on startup, it also freezes.

I only have one harddrive, so I can't time machine my way out of this. Does anyone really know how to fix this without me having to wipe my entire machine and do a clean install?

ibook_steve
Apr 15, 2009, 07:55 PM

So just to understand, you've tried using Boot Camp assistant to delete the Windows partition and then re-create it, again with BCA, correct? Then when you try to re-install Windows, you can't? Maybe you have a bad (scratched) install disk. As long as you can successfully create or remove the Windows partition with BCA, you don't have to reformat the whole drive.

Steve

P.S. On a side note, why don't you have an external disk for Time Machine? There's no reason (and no excuse) not to.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MookieRah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 08:22 PM

There's no reason (and no excuse) not to.
I'm a poor college student :-(.

I severely doubt that it's the disc, although I'll burn a backup here in a second just to make sure. The thing is that it has the same exact symptoms as my windows partition before the wipe. One should think that is an odd coincidence. It's also the same problem I've had in the past. I'm 99.9% sure it's a boot camp/mac problem, because it shouldn't carry over on a new partition if it was a windows issue.

Here is a link to the old thread, in case you guys were wondering:
http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...d/#post3645515
( Last edited by MookieRah; Apr 15, 2009 at 09:27 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules