Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 6)
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 09:35 AM

Bug #92398324727987432

When Finder is in browser mode and navigation toolbar is in text mode, there is only the possibility to browser back, but not forward.

When in the toolbar displays icons and text or icons only, one can browser both back and forward.

&$%#$%# Finder.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 01:46 PM

If any of your log files, or asl.db, get too large, syslogd will spike your processor usage to 100% for a few seconds every minute or so.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
When switching from Mac 10.5 to Vista and back. I have to adjust my time and date, the time always faster by 6 hours. Hope further updates resolves this issue.
I had to do this in Tiger as well, just not every restart like I have to in Leopard. Usually opening the Date and Time preference pane fixes the issue, but still annoying.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:07 AM

More Finder Bugs.. or whatever. And this was after I was messing around with Leopards internals and did a clean install.

I was thinking OH NOS.. BM IS BACK!

And no, that isn't a compressed JPEG. That is how it looked on my screen.

During the same time, all menus and menu items did this.

Rebooting fixed it.

I have problems sometimes ejecting disk images too.

*sigh*

BTW never touched this application till after it was installed, and got this error.

Even after 10.5.1 it still feels like a beta OS.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 24, 2007 at 06:14 AM. )

Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 11:59 AM

You seem to be very unique in having these problems... did you do something to anger the Apple Gods?

My Leopard is running pretty dang smoothly. The only problem I had was with Airport. A reboot fixed it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:35 PM

Naw, I am just pretty good at finding problems.

I've done the beta testing thing many times. That was on a fresh install too. Restarting fixed it. And I haven't gotten it to happen again.

But it is a weird glitch. The not being able to unmount images thing though, I am not alone on. I've read others with the same problem.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 25, 2007, 07:18 AM

BTW My dock will also not keep the magnification preferences that I set. It always goes back to some pref that I guess Apple has thinks I want it...

I created a script in Applescript to fix this at startup... but that is def something I shouldn't be having to do.

Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 01:55 PM

seriously... you might consider a reinstall...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2007, 01:59 PM

The dock disappears and SAFARI FREEEEEEEZES far too much.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

MartiNZ
Senior User
Nov 25, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
messing around with Leopards internals
I'm thinking it's time to consult a vet .

That brushed metal window was frightening. I thought maybe it might have shoved you into a lower colour setting but Thousands still shows the GUI correctly on my display, which is a step up from Tiger where it blurred/grained it a lot.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 03:45 PM

I'm not seeing any of the bugs Kevin is.

I don't **** around with my system, though.

At all.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 09:31 AM

Here's an interesting one. I lock my Mac (with the Keychain menu bar item) and my screen saver starts - all fine. Then I hit shift and the password dialog pops up - still all fine. Then I hit cancel. The MBP goes directly to sleep rather than going back to screen saver. I've been able to reproduce it every single time. Has anybody else experienced this?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
seriously... you might consider a reinstall...
This was after a clean install. Wiped the drive, zeroed it. Clean install. Didn't even mess with swapping preferences either.
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm not seeing any of the bugs Kevin is.

I don't **** around with my system, though.

At all.
Either did I when it happened. This happened AFTER I was messing with Leopard.

But the fact that you can now totally mess up your system doing stuff you could do in 10.4 kinda ticks me off. It has many other people too.

What if I want to remove some Intel code from Applications to save space? Some applications wont work after doing this. And it has nothing to do with functionality of the application.

So all these recent bugs I've been showing have been happening from a clean install. About the cleanest install you can get.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 02:00 PM

I have to agree with Kevin. Leopard feels like a beta. Disk images refuse to mount, applications refuse to quit or they quit but stay open in the Dock.

Safari is dog-slow. I booted in 10.4.10 and Safari 2.x was super-speedy compared to Leopard's Safari. I can't figure out the cause. I deleted all Safari preferences and icon files; I removed all internet plug-ins. But it still beach-balls frequently.

Quicktime is sluggish when playing both AVIs and MPGs (on a 2.4 Ghz MBP). Again, this is compared to Tiger.

This was after a clean install. Wiped the drive, zeroed it. Clean install. Didn't even mess with swapping preferences either.

But the fact that you can now totally mess up your system doing stuff you could do in 10.4 kinda ticks me off. It has many other people too.

What if I want to remove some Intel code from Applications to save space? Some applications wont work after doing this. And it has nothing to do with functionality of the application.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
Safari is dog-slow. I booted in 10.4.10 and Safari 2.x was super-speedy compared to Leopard's Safari. I can't figure out the cause. I deleted all Safari preferences and icon files; I removed all internet plug-ins. But it still beach-balls frequently.

Quicktime is sluggish when playing both AVIs and MPGs (on a 2.4 Ghz MBP). Again, this is compared to Tiger.
Not seeing either; I almost suspect they're related.

Throw out your video codecs and re-install Flip4Mac and perian.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 03:07 PM

I have to agree with Kevin. Leopard feels like a beta. Disk images refuse to mount, applications refuse to quit or they quit but stay open in the Dock.
I've had both those things happen. Plus sometimes disks wont eject either. Even when nothing in them is in use. I have to go in and force quit the disk mounting shenanigans to get them to dismount or restart.
Safari is dog-slow.
Not for me. Safari is fast.
Not sure about this one. Haven't noticed a difference. Then again I use VLC a lot.

ankurcd
Nov 28, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hi Kevin,

Where can I download VLC for Mac version???

Thanks!
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 01:09 PM

booboo
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 05:51 AM

• In List view, when naming a nested file - i.e. a file within a folder, exposed via the folder's triangular tab, the keyboard's navigation keys only allow you to move the cursor to the right - use the left cursor and the directory view collapses (i.e. navigation takes priority over cursor position.) even when the text is selected for editing. Annoying.

• The new paper-blue folders constitute a bug in my book. In the Finder, under the Go menu, small (thankfully meaninful and distinguishable) icons are listed next to Computer, Home, Desktop, etc. These have virtually no visual link to the new indecipherable Leopard folders.

• The changing appearance of folders in the Dock is also a bug in that it severely hampers visual recognition and workflow. I'm considering going back to Tiger because of this and the previous 'bug' alone.

• Hierarchical menus in the Dock no longer work - this is a serious 'bug' and a major impairment to workflow. Yes, I know it's intentional, but that doesn't mean it's not a bug!
( Last edited by booboo; Nov 29, 2007 at 06:11 AM. )
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2007, 09:00 AM

So far not one initial Mac OS X release has been picture perfect. That said Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard isn't nearly as bad as Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was at this stage.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
So far not one initial Mac OS X release has been picture perfect. That said Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard isn't nearly as bad as Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was at this stage.
I am not so sure about that. I think 10.5s has more bugs that have effected MORE PEOPLE, but 10.4s bugs were more harmful, but didn't effect as many people.

And we have just started using 10.5.

I also don't ever remember seeing posts like this when 10.4 came out

Leopard: worst Mac OS in years - AppleInsider

I never expect OS releases to be perfect. But lets just say 10.5 is more than "less than perfect"

Having said that, I am not dogging it. It's no Vista mess. The problems I am sure are easily fixable, and Apple will probably get things straightened out.

I mean 10.4 turned out really nice in the end.

I hope Vista does too.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2007, 12:32 PM

I am not so sure about that. I think 10.5s has more bugs that have effected MORE PEOPLE, but 10.4s bugs were more harmful, but didn't effect as many people.

And we have just started using 10.5.
There is no way for us to have a clear picture of that.

I also don't ever remember seeing posts like this when 10.4 came out
I do. In fact those posts popped up after every Mac OS X release.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 29, 2007, 04:16 PM

There is no way for us to have a clear picture of that.
But there is of you saying otherwise? Esp since 10.5 just came out?
I do. In fact those posts popped up after every Mac OS X release.
I don't recalling seeing any such reaction to any OS X release and I've been around since before 10.0. There have always been complaints. But there seems to be MORE complaints each about different things. Where is on 10.4 there was complaints all mostly about the same things.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2007, 04:35 PM

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 11:12 PM

Just to balance things out, I've found this to be the best OS X release since 10.2.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2007, 11:19 PM

I had a very strange bug, that I can't reproduce, today.
I closed my MacBook (new 2.2ghz model) when I left work and when I got home and opened it the cursor was visually corrupt. Pixellated. I logged out and logged back in; which fixed it.

Then I played a video and everything was very strange. If I didn't do anything except watch the video it was fine, but if I clicked on another window the video would skip and do other very odd things.

Restarting it fixed it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 30, 2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yup
Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
So, is this the buggiest release ever?

Well... It's probably not gonna top 10.1 in this category. (I'm not counting 10.0.)
10.5 is being compared to 10.0 has far as all the "beta like" problems that have occurred in it.

That page got to 12 and 10.4 was out for almost 2 years. 10.5 just came out and we are on page 6 already.

Having said that, Look in that thread. I am not known to be a complainer about such things. Nor do I make a habit of it. I thought 10.4 had issues, but still felt like a solid OS. I don't feel the same way about 10.5. Not yet anyhow.

For reference indeed.

This doesn't also take in account these threads.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...sktop-leopard/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...ipts-behavior/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...n-me-all-time/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...ont-come-back/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...drops-leopard/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...ing-in-10-5-a/
http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...e-leopard-mbp/

etc
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 30, 2007 at 07:44 AM. )

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 08:20 AM

Can no longer use Command ↓ (down arrow) to Open a folder when the folder's name field is active.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2007, 01:48 PM

But there is of you saying otherwise? Esp since 10.5 just came out?
Well apparently you seem to know that there are more people having issues with Leopard than with previous Mac OS X versions. I for one find that an very interesting claim.

I'm saying that there's no way for you or I to really have a clear picture of those numbers. Regardless if the outcome is positive or negative for Leopard.

I don't recalling seeing any such reaction to any OS X release and I've been around since before 10.0. There have always been complaints. But there seems to be MORE complaints each about different things. Where is on 10.4 there was complaints all mostly about the same things.
People complained about a wide scala of things with every Mac OS X release. And the moaning and whining about Panther's new interface was just as bad as it is today with Leopard.

So like I said, I do recall many many different complaints about whatever. If you don't recall it, I'll just take your word for it.

Anyway...

New bug:
QuickTime on Mac OS X Leopard failed to produce sound on more than once occasion. You can see the time progressing and the bar indicating sound levels is working as well, there's just no sound coming out of my speakers. To fix it I have to restart QuickTime.

Ranger14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2007, 01:58 PM

I haven't had any trouble with Safari at all or some of the other issues stated. Everything runs pretty well for me, but I don't mess with settings too much.

The only thing that annoys me is when I open up any windows under my disk, like Applications, the scroll bar will go all the way down, but the bottom line of folders/icons are cutoff at the name, so you can't view the name of the folder, but you can see most of the folder. I can change the icon size under view settings and see it right when it changes to a smaller size, but then when I open the window again it cuts off the name of the bottom row of icons again.

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2007, 04:03 PM

This only started after installing Leopard.

Here's a screenshot - actually it's screenshot of a video - the interference doesn't show up on an actual screenshot - very confusing...

and a link to the VIDEO -

http://kite.seriouslyinternet.com/interference.mp4

I'm doing a huge 'Live Trace' in Illustrator to get the temperature up.

It seems to be fan/temp related. As the temp climbs so does the fan speed = more interference.

There's no other instances of this on the NET. I've tried resetting PRAM - doing a clean install on another drive then booting from that - safe mode etc...

The only way to get rid of it is to boot into 10.4

How can I roll back to 10.4 whilst keeping my 10.5 settings - passwords, apps etc. I don't have a backup of my old 10.4 and Archive and install doesn't work,

HELP!!
( Last edited by paolo9237842; Dec 5, 2007 at 08:56 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 05:56 PM

Well apparently you seem to know that there are more people having issues with Leopard than with previous Mac OS X versions. I for one find that an very interesting claim.
Why when you claim the latter?

I am just saying that it seems to me this is the case.
I'm saying that there's no way for you or I to really have a clear picture of those numbers.
Maybe that is what you are saying NOW...
People complained about a wide scala of things with every Mac OS X release. And the moaning and whining about Panther's new interface was just as bad as it is today with Leopard.
I am sure the GUI complaining was just as bad. There is no doubt in my mind. But I myself have gotten more bugs in 10.5, and I have seen more variety of bugs listed that people are having in 10.5. In 10.4 people seem to have the same few bugs.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2007, 06:23 PM

Why when you claim the latter?
Again, the only thing I'm claiming is that there's absolutely no way for any of us to get a clear picture of the numbers of people having certain issues with Leopard vs Tiger (at the same stage). Unless you did some extensive research involving contacting Apple, Authorized Apple Resellers and doing other polls involving many people beyond looking around the internet. I know I didn't.

Maybe that is what you are saying NOW...
No, I basically said that from the start. Perhaps you misunderstood.

I am sure the GUI complaining was just as bad. There is no doubt in my mind. But I myself have gotten more bugs in 10.5, and I have seen more variety of bugs listed that people are having in 10.5. In 10.4 people seem to have the same few bugs.
If that's your personal impression, OK then.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:44 PM

Again, the only thing I'm claiming is that there's absolutely no way for any of us to get a clear picture of the numbers of people having certain issues with Leopard vs Tiger (at the same stage). Unless you did some extensive research involving contacting Apple, Authorized Apple Resellers and doing other polls involving many people beyond looking around the internet. I know I didn't.
I am talking about before, when you claimed Tiger was worse.
If that's your personal impression, OK then.
Well when have I ever said otherwise? I wasn't attempting to say it was factual. I just said from what I have seen in here, and what I have experienced myself 10.5 seems over all buggier than 10.4 was. I myself have had more problems with it even after the 10.5.1 upgrade using a clean install than I ever did 10.4. This isn't saying I think it's junk. I just never had any problems with 10.4. There seems to be a lot DIFFERENT problems in 10.5. Where 10.4 had 4 or 5 that didn't effect everyone.

Not even counting this thread and the finding in it, this part of the forum has been flooded with weird 10.5 behavior. Not just your regular problematic screw ups that can be fixed quickly.

I think Apple was wanting 10.5 to be more than what it was. But didn't have the time to put into it they needed. I know for a FACT people where pulled off the OS X team and put on the iPhone team to get it out sooner. That had to stall things in the 10.5 department.

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 08:57 AM

How can I roll back to 10.4 whilst keeping my 10.5 settings - passwords, apps etc. I don't have a backup of my old 10.4 and Archive and install doesn't work.

Anyone...

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 5, 2007, 09:40 AM

No clue. I don't think 10.5 is that bad as I would revert to 10.4. Unless you were in a work situation. I haven't installed 10.5 on my work computer yet. And wont till I see it a bit more stable.

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 03:19 PM

Kevin - have a look at my previous post - 5 posts up - and tell me it's not that bad....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 03:37 PM

If you can't capture the interference in a screen shot, I don't think it's a software problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 5, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by paolo9237842 View Post
Kevin - have a look at my previous post - 5 posts up - and tell me it's not that bad....
Sounds like a hardware issue. I have no clue about those. I don't know what it did. Again, no clue. Not sure if reverting back to 10.4 would work. But you could just back your user folder up and etc... .

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 04:44 PM

Reverting back to 10.4 fixes all the problems - I can boot into 10.4 on an external drive and there's no problems. It's not a hardware issue.

So. Anyone have any idea how to get back to 10.4 from 10.5 keeping all my passwords, settings, apps etc.

I might leave it, send it back to Apple, hope they can't fix it and get a new updated Macbook. Worked the last time :o)

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 5, 2007, 04:53 PM

Well it IS a hardware issue, but the software may be causing it.

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 08:27 AM

Then it is a software issue!? Why try and be a smart arse?

You obviously need hardware to run software. If one piece of software is fine and another is not - that would suggest that it is the software at fault NOT the hardware...

Would you say "the hardware is incompatible with the software" or "the software is incompatible with the hardware"? I think the latter.

Whatever...

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 7, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by paolo9237842 View Post
Then it is a software issue!? Why try and be a smart arse?
Not trying to be a smart ass. ....
You obviously need hardware to run software. If one piece of software is fine and another is not - that would suggest that it is the software at fault NOT the hardware...
Well what I am saying is, I doubt 10.5 is the culprit. If 10.5 isn't doing this on all machines like yours then it's either the hardware or 3rd party software.

Just trying to help...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2007, 11:08 AM

Fact is, Kevin doesn't know - nor does anyone else who hasn't actually diagnosed your machine.

I *suspect* that you may be seeing a hardware problem that Leopard is EXPOSING by doing something differently than Tiger did.

I *think* that's what Kevin was trying to say, but wording it as "software may be *causing* it" got completely in the way of the basic idea.

First recommendation is to try and run the Apple hardware test from the Install DVD (boot with the disk in the drive and hold down the "D" key - as in "defective" ).

Have it run the extended test and see if the graphics chip passes without problems.

paolo9237842
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 01:29 PM

I'll give it a go

In the meantime then - does anyone have any tips on on getting back to 10.4 safely?

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 02:05 PM

.....I know for a FACT people where pulled off the OS X team and put on the iPhone team to get it out sooner. That had to stall things in the 10.5 department.
Everyone knows that for a Fact. Heck Apple had a press release saying the same thing. Which was why Apple delayed Leopard until October.

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 08:56 PM

If I'm dragging a folder from my desktop to a location in my HDD, and I'm using the spring loaded folders, I hover the folder over my HD icon. Then the troubles start. Sometimes, it will open up BEHIND all the other windows, and all the time, it remembers the location of it's snap-open (which is always wedged in the top right corner) as it's default location, so next time I open it, it opens all the way up in the corner. Lastly, it doesn't snap shut when I drop my file.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2007, 06:53 PM

Is there a bluetooth bug? For some reason my Kensington USB bluetooth adapter and Leopard don't seem to work well. Bluetooth shows as being disabled unless I unplug/replug the adapter at each bootup. Worked fine in Tiger. Tried zapping PRAM didn't fix it. Any ideas?
Regards,
Dave

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 11, 2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
Everyone knows that for a Fact. Heck Apple had a press release saying the same thing. Which was why Apple delayed Leopard until October.
Obviously everyone didn't know it. As some told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Adnim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 07:36 PM

Since upgrading to Leopard, Microsoft Entourage is not sending outgoing email. No problem with inbound mail. My provider is Cablevision/Optonline. I am using an Apple Extreme wireless router.
Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules