Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD Region code override on iMac DV SE?

DVD Region code override on iMac DV SE?
leelee
Apr 24, 2000, 09:34 PM

Is there a way to override the DVD Region code setting on my iMac DV SE? I read the Apple site and it says you may switch the DVD region 5 times before it permanently sets to that region.

I've seen PC DVD drives that allow you to bypass the region code, is there a developers program or some other hack to override this?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Apr 25, 2000, 04:28 PM

I think someone once said that you could hack into the "DVD region manager" extention using ResEdit. I've not yet tried it myself.

davi
Aug 15, 2000, 01:02 AM

A iMac DV region free firmware patch has recently been released. Look for it under the DVD player's model number (Matshita SR-8184) at http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

It works perfectly when applied correctly, but read all the instructions carefully. Changing firmware is dangerous. Before this patch came out I had to pay Apple to replace my DVD drive.

Pringlis
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2000, 07:30 AM

Have a look at http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/002637.html

It contains everything you need to know about the firmware and success stories to bolster your confidence about doing the install. It does carry a risk but I have heard of only one or two people that it failed for.

pring

Forum Links
Forum Rules