Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB ZipCD woes...

USB ZipCD woes...
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 08:50 PM

To start, let me say that I tried Iomega email tech support, and they were absolutely NO help at all. If this forum doesn't come through, I'll try phone support, but I'm going to avoid Iomega techies for as long as possible after that experience. Ok, on to the problem: I've had my USB Iomega ZipCD since July'00, and it always worked wonderfully (except a few times when Toast was acting wacky-but no problems with the drive). Over the past month or so, the situation has taken a turn for the worse. About 95% of the time when I insert a blank disc, the drive spins up, then stops, then spins up again, then stops, and so on. It won't just get ready to burn where the disc is spinning nicely and the green "ready" light is on (not blinking). This happens with any brand of media I try (all of which I've used successfully in the past). This problem happens whether the drive is connected to the computer or not (so it can't be a software problem). It's like it can't recognize the disc that's been inserted. I haven't changed any configs since the last successful series of burns, anyway. Another 4% of the time, it will actually recognize the disc, and I can *start* the burn. However, once Toast is done filling the RAM cache and such and the laser should come on, the drive craps out. Sometimes it will actually burn the first few MBs of info before giving me an error like "Check the SCSI connections" which is good, because it's a USB drive, and my iBook doesn't even HAVE a SCSI port. When I eject one of these imcomplete burns, I see that the burn had actually started 1cm-1.5inches away from the center of the CD (where it's supposed to start). And the other 1% of the time, I'm actually able to successfully burn a disc (data or audio). I'm on an iBook, OS9.0.4, 160MB RAM, Toast deluxe 4.1.2. Again, I haven't made any changes to any prefs, extensions or anything since the last successful series of burns. I've also tried the standard troubleshooting things (test for extension conflicts, increasing memory to apps, trashing prefs, trashing all related files and reinstalling, etc). Also, keep in mind that the spin&stop problem happens even without the drive connected. I think it might be an alignment problem with the laser since I've seen audio CD players have similar recognition problems (where pushing the laser-mount unit back into place solved things) and the burns don't always start at the center. Any suggestions? Thanks a TON in advance

[This message has been edited by SupahCoolX (edited 01-11-2001).]

Cipher13
Jan 12, 2001, 06:03 AM

Sorry, I have no clue...
All I can say is update Toast, check your USB extensions, and replace the drive...
Try it on another computer?
Try it without any other USB devices, plugged directly into your computer?
I say take the drive back, get a refund, and get a different one (or a replacement if you want)...

Cipher13

ice weasel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 07:18 AM

well, I wish I had good or more helpful news, but I don't. my suggestion, pull any iomega product you have off your computer, rebox it and send it back. I have been round and round with them on two different peripherals and frankly, they are less than helpful without directly calling a vice-president in utah. I think their products are horrible. badly engineered crap that looks great in magazine ads but in truth, doesn't deliver.

it was a happy day for me when I yanked the internal zip drive out of my cpu and sent it back. since then, no problems.

sorry for your troubles.

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2001, 06:52 PM

Cipher, I've played the "extensions" game already. Having other USB devices plugged into my computer is irrelevant because I only have 1 USB port. Using it on another computer would be pointless because the problem occurs even if the drive is NOT plugged in to ANY computer. Returning the drive isn't an option because the return period is long gone (I've had it about 6 months now) and I don't have the $ to buy a new drive. I guess calling Iomega about a replacement/repair is the only option then?

drfrank
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2001, 07:15 PM

I Installed an Iomega ZipCD (external) on my G4/500 last week and have not had a single problem with it. I have created 7-9 CD-R's with digital photos, 2 full of pdf files, and two System start-up disks for my G4. All is working well.

I suggest you return it to Iomega for a replacement drive.

Frank

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 07:55 PM

Like I said, mine has also been working perfectly (75-100 burns) until this month. The drive did not start out defective. I was hoping that it was some simple fix/ oversight on my part, but I guess that's not the case. I'll just call Iomega this week when I get a chance. Thanks for all the suggestions.

donncha
Jan 16, 2001, 11:46 PM

I would suggest you get rid of it. I bought one too (G4/500) and had loads of trouble with it. I got no help from Iomega at all. Finally, after it had trashed 6 CDs in a row, I lost my patience and beat it to a pulp. Best thing I ever did. I'm currently looking to buy a Firewire CDRW, so if anyone has any suggestions (good + bad) I'd love to hear them.

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 12:02 AM

Well, I called Iomega today and arranged to get a replacement drive. I'll post the results with that one when I get it. Also, if I find out what was wrong with the other one I'll put that up too as a reference to anyone who has trouble in the future (and actually uses the forum's search feature ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules