Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new imac advice needed

new imac advice needed
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 10:15 AM

i've currently got a 1.33 G4 12" ibook at the moment and really need a larger screen for graphic design work. Now I know Adobe haven't updated their software for native use and this leads to my question, will i notice a speed increase in using photoshop on a new imac? Will it be about the same or god forbid, could it be slower??

I really need a larger monitor asap, i've struggled with the 12" too long, its so small I barely do any design work at home because of it and I really need to start doing work at home to keep up with the industry. I can stretch to getting a new 17" imac, or possibly get a 17" G5 imac. The idea of buying the G5 doesn't appeal to me too much as its already old technology... a new imac would last me years.

Any thoughts on what i should do?
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 11:20 AM

I'd say they be around the same speed if you get decent ram in the iMac. Even though I hate to sugest this as an option, if you have a windows version of your software you can use bootcamp, Windows really does fly on them, that's what I'm doing for now. I have OS X CS2 for quick fixes, but longer projects I load up Windows, I havent't tried it though Pararells, but that's different and I don't really care for it at the moment.

Good Luck!
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Forum Links
Forum Rules