Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 on new iBook - Where is Palatino font?

Mac OS X 10.3 on new iBook - Where is Palatino font?
Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 05:17 AM

I just got a new iBook, and was horrified to discover that Palatino is missing from the installed fonts.

Can I used my old Mac OS 9 fonts (doubful) to get Palatino back?

If not, what do I need to do (buy?) to get Palatino on my new iBook?

Thanks...

(Apologies if this is not the right forum for this question...)

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by Bwa:
Can I used my old Mac OS 9 fonts (doubful) to get Palatino back?

Yes you can use your Mac OS 9 fonts with Mac OS X. Double click them and the application Font Book should start and display the fonts. From within Font Book you can install those Fonts. (Or just move the fonts to the approbate Fonts folder)

Have you installed AppleWorks? Palatino is part of the AppleWorks installation and not of the Mac OS installation.

Bwa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
Yes you can use your Mac OS 9 fonts with Mac OS X. Double click them and the application Font Book should start and display the fonts. From within Font Book you can install those Fonts. (Or just move the fonts to the approbate Fonts folder)

Have you installed AppleWorks? Palatino is part of the AppleWorks installation and not of the Mac OS installation.
Thanks for your reply.

AppleWorks was installed out of the box, but Palatino is missing in action.

I tried your suggestion; I dragged the Palatino file from OS 9 into Font Book. Unfortunately, when I click on the "Palatino" collection in Font Book, nothing happens--I guess because it's not a suitcase file. Even "Show Font File" does nothing.

I can't seem to copy the Font into /System/Library/Fonts because I don't have sufficient permissions, even if I authenticate.

Hmm.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Bwa:
I can't seem to copy the Font into /System/Library/Fonts because I don't have sufficient permissions, even if I authenticate.
Never copy fonts into /System/Library/Fonts - that folder should only contain the fonts provided by the OS.

If you want all users to use the font, move it into the folder /Library/Fonts

Or, if just you want to use it, move it into to the Fonts folder of your user ~/Library/Fonts - that should work.

Or copy the font file onto the Desktop and the double click it. Font book should start and show the font in a window. There should be an install option.

Bwa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 07:31 AM

It turns out my problems were due to the fact that I didn't copy the OS 9 Palatino font to somewhere on the local disk and then use Font Book - I had been trying to use Palatino on a remote share. Once I copied the font to the local disk, everything worked as expected.

Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules