Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP battery failing quickly

MBP battery failing quickly
sibellc
Jul 11, 2006, 10:53 AM

My MBP is about 4 months old, and I've recently noticed that the battery life has been dwindling rapidly. I'm now lucky to get about 1.5 hours of battery time, and System Profiler reports that the battery has 51 load cycles, and about 3000mA of capactiy, which seems to fall by the day. Does anyone know if this will be covered under warranty, or am I going to have to buy a new battery? I've reset the power manager and callibrated the battery, to no avail.

Thanks!

OreoCookie
Jul 11, 2006, 11:20 AM

I have the same problem and I've sent my MacBook Pro to my reseller to get it fixed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

QueenOfSwords
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sibellc
My MBP is about 4 months old, and I've recently noticed that the battery life has been dwindling rapidly. I'm now lucky to get about 1.5 hours of battery time, and System Profiler reports that the battery has 51 load cycles, and about 3000mA of capactiy, which seems to fall by the day. Does anyone know if this will be covered under warranty, or am I going to have to buy a new battery? I've reset the power manager and callibrated the battery, to no avail.

Thanks!
Its a known issue up until about week 9 for MBPs. The rapid battery failure (http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...attery.recall/) seems to precede batteries 'bulging' out of their enclosure in some cases, so I'd get thee to an Apple Store ASAP.
If your battery is in the affected range, you should just get it swapped out, no MBP servicing required.

sibellc  (op)
Jul 11, 2006, 11:29 AM

Mine is a week 13.

QueenOfSwords
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sibellc
Mine is a week 13.
Won't hurt to go in/give them a call anyway. Your battery still sounds faulty.

Danoldo
Jul 11, 2006, 08:26 PM

i'd go ASAP. When mine was at your point....it still ran but had very little run time. OVERNIGHT, the battery started to buldge and I couldn't use my computer without it being plugged in

sibellc  (op)
Jul 11, 2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks. I'll try and get me to an Apple store. Fitting it in to a 13 hour workday will be a challenge...

cougar337
Jul 13, 2006, 06:57 AM

Looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones with a battery that's FUBAR.

noticed it today, the battery only lasts 17 minutes on a 'full' charge. pulled up cocnutbattery and noticed something weird.

I when looking on MacNN someone mentioned the battery bulge and guess what? Yep, got some battery bulge action going on. The MBP actually teters on the battery, it's hard to see in some of the photos but it's there. I guess this is why I paid the $300+ for AppleCare, I'll be giving them a call today

cougar337
Jul 13, 2006, 01:37 PM

Called Apple this morning to see if I could get a replacement on my bluging battery.

He took my phone number and the serial number of my MBP and said, "let me check, I know we don't replace these batteries after a certain point."

After a long 5-10 minutes on hold he came back and said, "looks like there's an emerging issue on the bulging batteries and we'll set up a replacement for you"

OH THANK GOD!

I also asked him if there was a range of battery serial numbers that are bad and he said "not as of yet. It just indicates MacBook Pro's"

So it looks like there still trying to get this figured out. I have to send them back my bad battery (prepaid) which is what I expect from a good computer company so they can diagnose what's actually wrong. SO DON'T WAIT IF YOU HAVE A BATTERY ISSUE, CALL APPLE NOW!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules