Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whoa Fast install.... for windows???

Whoa Fast install.... for windows???
Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 07:37 AM

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4008.asp

It's ugly in build 4008, but Longhorn's setup routine (Figure) has been completely overhauled. In fact, most people will be able to install Longhorn from a dead stop--either a CD-based boot or by launching Setup from a pre-existing Windows OS--in less than 20 minutes. Compared to the 60 minutes it takes to install Windows 2000 or XP, that's almost miraculous, and for someone like me who constantly installs and reinstalls Windows for various reasons, it's going to make a huge difference.

Though I'm sure customization features will be added in some capacity, at least for the corporate crowd, the current version is a simple three-step feature that will have Apple's ad makers seeing red ("Step three. There is no step three."). After the Setup Welcome Screen (Figure), you type in your product key (Figure), select the installation partition (Figure), and then Setup collects information about your system and copies files needed for setup to your hard drive (Figure). Then the system reboots and you're present with a simple Welcome screen (Figure), which presents you with a way to configure user names (Figure). And that's it, you're done. There is no step three.
Just one more thing MS has copied from apple. However, a fast install really isn't an apple idea I think it is a general concept that apple was first say hey we can do that.

Still 20 mintues is a long time compared with the 6-8 minutes it took my dual 867 to install a basic version of jag

* sorry didn't know if I should have posted it in mac os x but it is really just a meaningless topic I posted it to the lounge.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 17, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
it is really just a meaningless topic I posted it to the lounge.
i see you got the hang of this place really quickly
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 10:02 AM

....and for someone like me who constantly installs and reinstalls Windows for various reasons, it's going to make a huge difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules