Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium + Web Sharing = Firewall Ports?

Adium + Web Sharing = Firewall Ports?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 01:49 PM

I'm currenty sharing the DSL connection on my eMac via AirPort Extreme so that I can use it on my MacBook. Websites work fine, and after opening the ports recommended in this MacOSXHints.com article so does my email. However, Adium does not work and I assume it is because some more ports need opening in the Firewall on the eMac. Does anyone know which ports those might be?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2007, 02:16 PM

No, you don't need to open any ports for Adium. You can use port 80 (which is also used for web browsing) to authenticate.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, you don't need to open any ports for Adium. You can use port 80 (which is also used for web browsing) to authenticate.
In which case, any idea why it works when I disable the eMac's firewall but not when it is active?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2007, 05:14 PM

You have to make sure Adium uses port 80 if it doesn't work. Activate Adium and open the prefs. Select Accounts and open the the prefs for each account. The settings for each account type look a little different, but you should find the proper settings in the tab settings. Make sure the number next to each of the login servers reads 80.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 05:30 PM

You have to make sure Adium uses port 80 if it doesn't work. Activate Adium and open the prefs. Select Accounts and open the the prefs for each account. The settings for each account type look a little different, but you should find the proper settings in the tab settings. Make sure the number next to each of the login servers reads 80.
Hoy, I cannot work out what is wrong. I tried what you suggest, changing the port in Adium to 80, even added 80 to the TCP part of the eMac's firewall, and then tried 81 as some folk online suggest and still no joy with either.

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2007, 05:45 PM

Port 80 is open as soon as you can access the web. So if you can browse the net, the connection is good to go. Are you sure you've also checked the check boxes connection via http below the port number?

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 06:50 PM

Port 80 is open as soon as you can access the web. So if you can browse the net, the connection is good to go. Are you sure you've also checked the check boxes connection via http below the port number?
Naice, it was the http thing that needed doing, thank you very much. Now... does anyone know what I need to do to get Transmit working? Port 21 is what it uses and I've tried adding that to both TCP and UDP but no dice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules