Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Black SIRO ?

Black SIRO ? (Page 2)
efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 10:57 PM

Oh, if he doesn't release it, I'll get over it...

I like the idea of Ctrl-Option-Apple-8 though.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by efuseakay:
Hey... just don't go around promising something you have no intention of ever releasing...
I haven't yet d*ckhead

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
I haven't yet d*ckhead
Hey bbxstudio growup man not necesary to speak like that man be cool.

Makki

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 01:25 AM

It occurs to me that the mockup posted above (the reversed out SIRO) looks a whole lot like a theme that is (hopefully) coming real soon (Calabi):

The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 05:10 AM

that calabi theme is so sweet.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:27 AM

Calabi =

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Makki:
Hey bbxstudio growup man not necesary to speak like that man be cool.

Makki
I was simply responding in kind with a similar level of disrespect Getting pretty tired of being lectured by losers who have zero insight into the reality of the situation. Zero.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hey BBX, do you know how close SS1.3 is to release? Does it do any of the things you need for Omega? Smeger has been so engrossed in it that we haven't heard from him for ages.

[tokenMentionOfBlackSiro] Yeah it's nice [/tokenMentionOfBlackSiro]
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 11:21 AM

On a constructive note related, a black Siro would be called Kuro (pronounced 'koo-roh' - which means 'black' in Japanese).

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Hey BBX, do you know how close SS1.3 is to release? Does it do any of the things you need for Omega? Smeger has been so engrossed in it that we haven't heard from him for ages.
I have no idea what's in SS 1.3 - but I'm sure if it had the stuff we originally intended for Omega that Jason would have given me the heads-up and involved me in implementing it. As far as I know, the effects I've designed around are slated for SS 1.5 - hopefully.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 11:33 AM

I thought that SS1.5 was the next release and was going to contain all the stuff that would have been in point updates...

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 11:34 AM

On a constructive note related, a black Siro would be called Kuro (pronounced 'koo-roh' - which means 'black' in Japanese).
Cool. Sounds like a good name for this theme should it ever be made.
I have no idea what's in SS 1.3 - but I'm sure if it had the stuff we originally intended for Omega that Jason would have given me the heads-up and involved me in implementing it. As far as I know, the effects I've designed around are slated for SS 1.5 - hopefully.
Fair do's. I wonder what is in it then? Last time we heard from Smeger he said it did some pretty cool stuff.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 11:53 AM

[tokenMentionOfBlackSiro] Yeah it's nice [/tokenMentionOfBlackSiro]
It went major-features-complete Saturday morning. I've been polishing since then, and I think it's going to go to the alpha team today. I'm cleaning up localization issues right now. Localization sucks... I have no idea what the Japanese translations say.

As of 2 minutes ago, the new stuff since version 1.2 consists of 28,991 lines of code. It's a pretty cool update. A bit of that 28,991 is stuff for 1.5, though, that's not really doing anything yet in 1.3.

And, nope, BBX's stuff is still slated for 1.5.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
It went major-features-complete Saturday morning. I've been polishing since then, and I think it's going to go to the alpha team today...
Awesome! I hope there aren't any problems with it. I'd love to see it out in the next few weeks.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

There is hope, a pixel of light at the end.. can you see it, i surely can....

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
There is hope, a pixel of light at the end.. can you see it, i surely can....
Yes... I can! Wait, I... I think it's an "event-driven LED!"

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 12:46 PM

Awesome! I hope there aren't any problems with it. I'd love to see it out in the next few weeks.
It's rockin' hard on my machine!

(which means nothing, of course - bugs always show up on other people's machines)
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 29, 2004, 01:31 PM

It's rockin' hard on my machine!

(which means nothing, of course - bugs always show up on other people's machines)
Then you need to get yourself one of those "other people's machines" and save yourself the hassle of squishing those itty bitty bugs.
[I couldn't pass it up]

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Then you need to get yourself one of those "other people's machines" and save yourself the hassle of squishing those itty bitty bugs.
[I couldn't pass it up]
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be another person's machine anymore, so that may not work. Unless he just borrowed it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 02:54 PM

It went major-features-complete Saturday morning. I've been polishing since then, and I think it's going to go to the alpha team today.
i hope you've been polishing the interface ::groan::

how come BBX knows whats going to be in 1.5 but no one else? what if i want to make a super-awesome-bad-ass-theme-2-da-xtreme but don't want to make it with the current hurdles that are in 1.2?

note for bbx: i'm not making fun of you, so don't take it personally. i just don't see why you get to know the insider info.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
[B]i hope you've been polishing the interface ::groan::

how come BBX knows whats going to be in 1.5 but no one else? what if i want to make a super-awesome-bad-ass-theme-2-da-xtreme but don't want to make it with the current hurdles that are in 1.2?

note for bbx: i'm not making fun of you, so don't take it personally. i just don't see why you get to know the insider info.
BBX is involved in the development of SS, not only with ideas, but I believe he created the icon etc. I do a lot of icons for shareware developers, and because of that I am actively involved in a lot of their products.

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 05:24 PM

I was simply responding in kind with a similar level of disrespect Getting pretty tired of being lectured by losers who have zero insight into the reality of the situation. Zero.
Yea well i guess i dont blame you man. I must confess that i have alot of respect for themers and not being one myself makes the respect even bigger hehe.

I alway appreciate themes that come my way.
Makki

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 06:06 PM

SS 1.3a1 =

I hear Calabi is still going really slowly... Sascha's a busy guy. Too bad 3 of the top 4 themes form the contest are taking so long to finish.

Kuro, I hope you get dsky's blessing.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
SS 1.3a1 =
just rub it in why don'tcha?

just tell me one thing: the interface is changed? right? please?

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 09:01 AM

No-too-glossy black with bright green highlights.
( Last edited by Banghazi; Aug 2, 2004 at 02:12 AM. )

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
He was basically in the right place at the right time, he has mad design skills, and was super-supportive.

Ya know, you can always email or IM me and tell me what features you want to see. I don't discuss features ahead of time, but I'm definitely open to specific, concrete suggestions. Groaning on a message board doesn't get me too excited to implement new stuff.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
It occurs to me that the mockup posted above (the reversed out SIRO) looks a whole lot like a theme that is (hopefully) coming real soon (Calabi):

do the 56k'ers a favor and ditch the animated sig. or follow the guidelines.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by fireplace:
note for bbx: i'm not making fun of you, so don't take it personally. i just don't see why you get to know the insider info
Because he made this and you made this. Sorry...

Oh, and has anyone seen that new Alienware skin that they just made? That thing is slick. I might even get a PC for that baby ... Maybe not

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 02:27 AM

This one? http://www.theskinsfactory.com/skins...rtfolio&id=119
Man... why the heck can't someone make an iTunes controller app like that? Or Apple make iTunes skinable like that...? Guess we'll have to wait on Omega for our cool skin... damn...
click one

Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 02:37 AM

Yup. Looks like BBX made that little guy too. Jeez someone has to get this guy to work for Apple so we could actually see some cool interfaces going on here...

I might not use Konfab though by the time that Omega does come out. Hopefully well see a Dashboard port... Sorry Arlo and Perry but I mean it looks so coooooool...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Jeez someone has to get this guy (BBX) to work for Apple so we could actually see some cool interfaces going on here...
That would be awesome I'm sure. I'll suggest it to Steve this afternoon over a game of racquetball.
Oh, and has anyone seen that new Alienware skin that they just made? That thing is slick. I might even get a PC for that baby ... Maybe not
Believe it or not, I was once so close to buying a PC for that exact purpose. Actually it was BBX's T3 skin in this case. It just makes me SO JEALOUS! I was working in a PC shop at the time, and had the money ready and everything, but luckily my better judgement came through just in time.

I have started a thread about these skins and stuff if anyone wants to vent off about it.

enzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2004, 05:34 AM

Holy Crap! that Windows Media Player skin is awesome!

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by enzo:
Holy Crap! that Windows Media Player skin is awesome!
Thanks That AW skin took me many weeks and brought my G4 to its knees. Not only did I make the 3D geometry way too hi-res for what was needed, I ended up having to light different regions with their own lighting setups (84 lights total!) to get the hilites in just the right places. I also ended up having to render multiple passes (diffuse, reflection, self-shadowing, environments, multiple masks for the different regions, etc.) just to pull off the lab white without blowing out the detail. In the end I assembled everything in AfterEffects and built myself an 'engine' that allowed me to sequence the spinovers, LEDs and screen elements independant of each other. I'll post some GIFs of the startup sequence when I get a chance later this week.

FWIW, this is the same technique I've used for much of my (as yet unreleased) OSX stuff - Omega uses multiple passes and AE sequencing throughout - everything from the logo to the iTunes remote to the scrollbars is built out this way. The AW skin is just one of many (too many) UI projects I've done this year - there is even more impressive stuff waiting in the wings... but I'll have to wait for official releases before I can show it off.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 08:38 PM

...Oh, and has anyone seen that new Alienware skin that they just made? That thing is slick. I might even get a PC for that baby ... Maybe not
I've got me a gleaming new top-end Alienware machine sitting here gathering dust as we speak (actually, it will be put to good use acting as a network rendering slave for my new G5 if it ever gets here). Man is Windows ever freakin' ugly and hellish to use.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
This one? http://www.theskinsfactory.com/skins...rtfolio&id=119
Man... why the heck can't someone make an iTunes controller app like that? Or Apple make iTunes skinable like that...?
I've asked - but nobody sees a market for it, if can you believe that. The minute somebody builds a full-blown robust skinnable iTunes remote app that supports full alpha blending and open-ended event-triggered animations, I'll be all over it. And if a capable code-demon/company wants a partner on such an app (I'd handle the identity/marketing materials and design a handful of default skins for a piece of the pie) you know where to find me

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 08:54 PM

I've asked - but nobody sees a market for it, if can you believe that. The minute somebody builds a full-blown robust skinnable iTunes remote app that supports full alpha blending and open-ended event-triggered animations, I'll be all over it. And if a capable code-demon/company wants a partner on such an app (I'd handle the identity/marketing materials and design a handful of default skins for a piece of the pie) you know where to find me
Hell ya! We must find someone good enough to code it! I'll beta test it and give feedback on the interface. I'm serous, we need to look for someone to do it. Does anyone have any contacts with Panic? Maybe we could post about the idea in the software dev forums?
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 09:51 PM

Because he made this and you made this. Sorry...
yeah, so what? it sucks, i've already admitted it. get over it, loser.

what have you made, big boy?

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2004, 02:25 AM

*Off Topic*
Originally posted by MacDog:

Wow, lotsa eye-candy in the trail of that pic's url path. ( http://www.artofadambetts.com/macthemes/entries/ )

Any chance of that "Kingpin's Office" theme being completed? Not too crazy about the maroon, but besides that, very slick. Can you give me the creator's e-mail?

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
Can you give me the creator's e-mail?
zach at necopia dawt com

ps: you can see all the entries at http://www.macthemes.net/contest/entries.php

Pix0r
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2004, 09:27 AM

P.S: Iceman, hope you dont mind me using one of your screenies, was the best I could find

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2004, 09:55 AM

BBX - You ever considered speaking to Cedric from the sofa project? He's really cool like that, he was really helpfull and eager when I made skins for sofa, and I am sure he will be eager to listen to your ideas.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Pix0r:
Iceman, hope you dont mind me using one of your screenies, was the best I could find
Are you kidding? I'm flattered. Awh, they like me, they REALLY like me.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 06:45 PM

P.S: Iceman, hope you dont mind me using one of your screenies, was the best I could find
wow. The Apple menu looks really bad, (some of the graphics need polishing) but I like everything else.
click one

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 07:48 PM

It needs to be about 5x brighter. If it had the black base, but with the same light blue highlights as in SIRO, it would be much nicer.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
It needs to be about 5x brighter. If it had the black base, but with the same light blue highlights as in SIRO, it would be much nicer.

Pix0r
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 10:04 AM

I'll give that a go when I have time, just hope there's no "looks like neos" complaints. Yea, i agree, apple does look crap, trying to find a decent quality apple logo I can use.

eFX
Aug 3, 2004, 11:23 AM

Thanks That AW skin took me many weeks and brought my G4 to its knees. Not only did I make the 3D geometry way too hi-res for what was needed, I ended up having to light different regions with their own lighting setups (84 lights total!) to get the hilites in just the right places. I also ended up having to render multiple passes (diffuse, reflection, self-shadowing, environments, multiple masks for the different regions, etc.) just to pull off the lab white without blowing out the detail. In the end I assembled everything in AfterEffects and built myself an 'engine' that allowed me to sequence the spinovers, LEDs and screen elements independant of each other. I'll post some GIFs of the startup sequence when I get a chance later this week.

FWIW, this is the same technique I've used for much of my (as yet unreleased) OSX stuff - Omega uses multiple passes and AE sequencing throughout - everything from the logo to the iTunes remote to the scrollbars is built out this way. The AW skin is just one of many (too many) UI projects I've done this year - there is even more impressive stuff waiting in the wings... but I'll have to wait for official releases before I can show it off.
How on earth do you come up with such names and descriptions for your techniques?
all the designers i've heard of never have such cool names and such for they designs like you call them polycarbinate or some sc-fi plastic names...
Your designs seem to have some very interesting stories/descriptions behind it!

Burk3
Aug 3, 2004, 11:30 AM

Maybe bbx should write a book in his spare time (assuming it exists, he sounds like a pretty hard working guy)

About the apple. I think I remember a thread where a guy was looking for one, I just cant seem to search for it (php throws memory usage errors).

eFX
Aug 3, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Burk3:
Maybe bbx should write a book in his spare time (assuming it exists, he sounds like a pretty hard working guy)
The force is strong in BBX.
Hell bbx's work is so far ahead everyones time watching people in college doing cad or such design work who been at it for years are nowhere close to what bbx pulls off.
As BBX is into GUI design these blokes in college dont even know about it all they do is make pretty pictures but alteast you can use bbx designs on your desktop. Asked a few of them about GUI design and they were like *wtf you on about man!* told them about bbx and they were like *holy sh!t thats incredible stuff* as did the lecturers when they seen his type of work.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 11:44 AM

I'll give that a go when I have time, just hope there's no "looks like neos" complaints. Yea, i agree, apple does look crap, trying to find a decent quality apple logo I can use.
Option+Shift+K

Forum Links
Forum Rules