Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving iTMS Purchased Music to New Computer

Moving iTMS Purchased Music to New Computer
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2006, 09:20 AM

I'm stuck with a PC that needs to be rebuilt, so I'm moving to a larger drive. When one does this, one usually has better success by simply reinstalling Windows from scratch-which means reinstalling all the apps, too. So once I get iTunes reinstalled, I want it to be able to find all my purchased music-quite a lot of it. How do I do this? iTunes' help is not very useful (and there's a problem with the help system on my PC that makes it difficult to run any program's help, anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 09:01 AM

Bump. This is apparently a problem for a number of people-see the thread titled "Moving iTunes"

DarwinX
Jul 31, 2006, 09:42 AM

As long as the iTMS files are on a drive the PC can see, you can simply choose "Add Folder to Library..." from the File menu and pick the folder containing the files. Once iTunes has imported the files, connect the PC to the Internet to authorize the computer and you're good to go. Right? I hope that is what you mean, I'm not trying to judge or anything, just hoping that is indeed the question to be answered.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 11:50 AM

It's close. My ripped files are on a shared, network drive, but my purchased songs are on the old PC hard drive. I want to make sure that they show up as "purchased" on the new installation. Through experience, (PCs are really getting on my nerves lately) I have seen that just copying the files to a new computer, even if I put them in the correct iTunes folder, does NOT make them show up as "purchased." I still don't know if this is a problem or not, but I'd like to be able to basically import everything with iTunes the way it is right now.

DarwinX
Jul 31, 2006, 12:31 PM

I understand now. I've never had a problem on moving purchased songs with my Macs, I can understand your apprehension on the PC side. Are you able to test by just moving one song to another PC? I'm unable to test this for you right now but that should give you your answer if you can try it or maybe someone else on the board can. Best of luck!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 09:09 PM

I can't test this because what I'll be doing is replacing the hard drive-and I can't really do that and then swap back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules