Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need an alternative to .mac for email...

Need an alternative to .mac for email...
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2007, 03:41 AM

Gmail is out for bad syncing with my Q. I would like something imap if possible, I want to be able to delete an email from my phone, sync, and then go home and log into my computer based email and it's gone or vice versa...does that make sense? I have no problem paying for it, but exchange server is also out as I HAVE to use one through work already, so the one I can have on my phone is already taken up by that. I don't use any of the features of .mac anymore, so it's time to kill it, and find a new email alternative.

Thanks in advance!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2007, 09:54 AM

Maybe Thunderbird or Eudora? I don't know what a Q is or if they sync with it, though.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ooninay
Apr 8, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ero2 View Post
Gmail is out for bad syncing with my Q. I would like something imap if possible, I want to be able to delete an email from my phone, sync, and then go home and log into my computer based email and it's gone or vice versa...does that make sense? I have no problem paying for it, but exchange server is also out as I HAVE to use one through work already, so the one I can have on my phone is already taken up by that. I don't use any of the features of .mac anymore, so it's time to kill it, and find a new email alternative.

Thanks in advance!
I've been using FastMail for about 3 years (it's IMAP). I replaced my .Mac mail with it. Since switching, it has never been down and it has always been fast. I've never had such fast, reliable mail. I know this sounds like an ad but honest, it's not!

FastMail: fast, professional email services with web, SMTP, POP & IMAP access

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 03:02 PM

I've been using my own domain for email for years now. Practically every hosting provider offers IMAP/POP and web access to email nowadays. And the cost is very very cheap, usually only a few dollars a month.

I prefer to do it this way because if I want to switch hosting providers, I can just take my domain and email addresses with me, and not worry about having to get everyone to update their address books.

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2007, 08:00 PM

I wonder how many are now using .Mac...? I'm probably getting rid of my subscription this September. The only reason I've kept it this long is because my .Mac site is about sixth on google when you search for my name, but I don't even use that very much now.

For the record, I use Gmail instead, but it sounds like you have Issues with that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 10:54 PM

I got a .Mac account last year. I'll be letting mine die, probably.

ooninay
Apr 8, 2007, 11:26 PM

I keep trying to quit .Mac and then I end up starting again. it's ridiculous, it's like smoking. This last time I actually let my subscription expire, then I decided I needed iWeb again, and there was something about my ISP that made it impossible to upload my iWeb site to it (something about it not liking the spaces in the filenames some of my pics had, and I couldn't change them in iWeb so I couldn't upload my website) so back to .Mac I went. There's always something in that little packgage they give you that I decide I can't do without at some point during the year. I know there are free alternatives for just about all of it but I haven't had much luck with any of them except e-mail... that's the one part of .Mac that's easy to replace in any of dozens of ways.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 01:16 AM

I guess I'm the only one happy with .Mac. Yeah, it's pricey for what you get, but there are rumors of big changes and a ".Mac 2.0" for Leopard. We'll see. I'm happy with my iWeb sites, love the seamless/perfect syncing and am thrilled with the fact that my e-mail address has been a constant for the past 5 or so years (since iTools debuted).

I'm really counting on them working something out in regards to the iPhone. I can't believe Yahoo! Mail will be the only push solution and that Apple's own .Mac users will be left out. That being said, I've registered my name and established a Yahoo! address, just in case.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules