Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cleaning iMac screen?

Cleaning iMac screen?
All_Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 02:51 AM

A bookend fell against my iMac's screen, and now there are a number of dark marks on it, like scuff marks, from the paint on the bookend. The screen doesn't appear to be seriously damaged, but the marks are distracting. Is there any product that might clean the screen without causing further damage?

Big Slick
Sep 28, 2007, 07:22 AM

If there isn't a "coating" on our screens, maybe try a very small amount of something like Varsol or a paint thinner. You might want to use a Q-tip to just dab a miniscule amount. If there is some form of protective coating on the glass, I think it'd be best to disregard this. You don't want to make it worse.
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

All_Insane  (op)
Sep 28, 2007, 11:41 AM

I can foresee paint thinner making things worse.

It might not be paint, it might be epoxy or something like that.

donclarkjr
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2007, 03:02 PM

I would try to look at goo gone or something like that, read the back label and see if it tells you not to use it on plastic. I assume this the the white iMac. If its the new Al iMac then anything should work just make sure its not abrasive. I would not use paint thinner, I know it will discolor plastics, and I think the white imacs screen is some sort of plastic.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 11:02 PM

Only use water!

For this particular problem I'd call apple.

If you use the wrong fluid for cleaning, you could get results that would make you wish you had your old marks back.

PS: is it a matte screen or a glossy, new iMac? If it is glossy, you can exchange the cover, and it might be less sensitive to cleaners.

But, again, check with apple first.

All_Insane  (op)
Sep 30, 2007, 04:53 AM

Guy I know has informed me that its damage to the screen itself.

If I want to replace it, I'll pay almost as much as I paid for the computer itself. $1024 for the part, $95 for labor.

Guess I'm living with an imperfect screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules