Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Little Man Syndrome

Little Man Syndrome
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 01:05 PM

How many of you guys just hate people like this? Yesterday I had the privilege of working with a guy like that. He's a full four years older than me but he looks 12 years old. I am a new guy at work so he calls me "new guy" while everyone else calls me by my name or other nickname. That's okay. But yesterday we were working doing something and he proceeds to tell me how to do my job that I`ve been doing since 2005. I tell him in a joking way "This aint my first rodeo cowboy." He gets livid and goes off on me telling that I am the new guy and he is the senior guy...I replied and said I didn't say I was better or higher rank than you but I know how to do my job. For the rest of the day he just talks and doesn't do his job and complains about the job we are doing. A very easy but boring job.

Do you guys work with the guy I am talking about? How do you get these guys to shut up?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:17 PM

When he is talking to you face to face ask him to stand on his toes so you can make eye contact. He'll love that.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

Tell him to go work another corner. Or bring it up with your pimp, that's what he's there for.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 01:24 PM

Is "senior guy" an actual step in a hierarchy there and you're in any way assigned to him or is he just the guy who is longest there?

But I sort of know what you mean. On one of my latest job interviews as a project lead in a young and dynamic company (bla-bla) the head of all projects tried to lecture me on my language. Also some four years older and one head smaller. A total clown.
And over the years I noticed that physically small men had a problem talking to me (or other big guys in suits) openly / directly, because they automatically figured me in a senior position. That was sometimes an advantage, sometimes not.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:27 PM

The official term is short men's disease.

Yes I've had the distinct pleasure in dealing with folks who need to act a certain way because of the height (or lack of). Generally I didn't (and don't) have problems but it can be aggravating nonetheless.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:28 PM

Regardless of stature, he still deserves your respect over sarcasm if he is indeed your superior. If he was a big guy and your superior, would you have said that like that?

As for his reaction, he's probably been walked on a time or two is gonna react like that every time. Best to get back in his good graces to avoid a "hell-job". Save the joking for later.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 01:50 PM

well he is senior meaning he has been there longer. We are both the same position. I've been told when I work with him to watch my back. Not a good thing to be told when you will rely on that guy to have your back in a building that is burning down.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The official term is short men's disease.
I know a dude with that... to make things much much worse he is also bald, over 50 and a LAWYER!

You couldn't imagine the douche-bagery emanating from that guy.

All_Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

I've worked with a number of guys of varying heights over the years. As a short and rather non-threatening woman, I'm able to interact with these guys differently then a taller man would. I've definitely noticed that some short guys act overly aggressive, perhaps in an attempt to compensate, or to be taken more seriously. But for the most part, this seems to be a stereotype, as some of the shortest guys I've worked with are also the most passive.

Rumor
Oct 9, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
my name or other nickname.
Cupcake? Sweecheeks? Hey you? Bitch? Tasty Morsel?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Bruce?

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by All_Insane View Post
I've worked with a number of guys of varying heights over the years. As a short and rather non-threatening woman, I'm able to interact with these guys differently then a taller man would. I've definitely noticed that some short guys act overly aggressive, perhaps in an attempt to compensate, or to be taken more seriously. But for the most part, this seems to be a stereotype, as some of the shortest guys I've worked with are also the most passive.
Several of these types in my area. Many in fact sit directly next to me for up to 11hrs. I find the most effective interaction with the overly aggressive type as follows: (No issues with the passive type)

When communicating always try to complete the task at eye level. NEVER stand in front of them looking down. NEVER let them stand with you sitting looking up at them. The latter is the more frequently attempted variation IMO.

Share some life experiences with them (if willing.) Try to get it to a person to person relationship. Then gradually increase the input of the supervisory/subordinate role. All the while making them feel as if they are part of the process, while ensuring clear boundaries, and procedures.

I've had a few over the years that simply were non palatable. Most of those had issues much deeper than the "Little Man."
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 03:35 PM

i have a couple of teachers here that when i sit straight up in my desk i am the same height as them. being short, and being a teacher isn't the best thing if you are not accepting of it. one of the teachers is awesome, and even has a stool to help her write on the board. this other lady though, on a good day if she catches you paying attention by looking at her face to face while you're sitting down she'll get you to answer questions (which I find nice actually, heh) but she can be quite mean when she is moody or the one time she couldn;t reach something, well, yeah. she knows what she's doing teaching wise, but she uses her lack of vertical as an excuse to be nasty Anyways, good luck with your supervisor and try tog et to know the guy the best you can is my advice.

Alex

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
well he is senior meaning he has been there longer. We are both the same position. I've been told when I work with him to watch my back. Not a good thing to be told when you will rely on that guy to have your back in a building that is burning down.
Gotcha. It does make a bit of a difference if you are on the same position. So then, as a person, you're not gonna change him. Maybe he has some other redeeming quality than being a loud pipsqueak.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
no...it's paper boy.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 04:44 PM

Wear a shirt. Start resting your right hand in between a couple of buttons on the shirt (in the upper stomach area) whenever he's around.
See how long it takes him to click.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 04:50 PM

what are you talking about? why would that do anything?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
what are you talking about? why would that do anything?
By force of association delivered in subtle hints.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 04:59 PM

k, well, that went over my head.. didnae think of that

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Gotcha. It does make a bit of a difference if you are on the same position. So then, as a person, you're not gonna change him. Maybe he has some other redeeming quality than being a loud pipsqueak.
What's his shoe size?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What's his shoe size?
haha what? i guess a 8 1/2

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2007, 06:53 PM

Oh, well that settles it, then.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 06:54 PM

This is the ultimate reference on the subject, a.k.a. "Short Man's Disease": YouTube link (relevant part starts at ~1:30, after the intro)

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules