Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > New Theme and Forum Reorganization Feedback

New Theme and Forum Reorganization Feedback (Page 9)
Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 07:12 PM

Hey, they are just bundling other services into MacNN for the good of the consumer.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 09:36 PM

I'd like to see the return of the green stars at least. The multicolored as well, I suppose.

They were a concept that worked. New smileys are a must.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

andi*pandi
Feb 5, 2007, 10:10 PM

when effgee gets back he can post the new smilies he worked on, and a poll. That will be interesting!

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 10:34 PM

I find it odd but not surprising that eff "went on vacation" right before this was released.

Like he didn't want to hear the initial complaints.

He should have atleast stuck around a few days to fix some of the more obnoxious bugs.

Rumor
Feb 5, 2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I find it odd but not surprising that eff "went on vacation" right before this was released.

Like he didn't want to hear the initial complaints.

He should have atleast stuck around a few days to fix some of the more obnoxious bugs.
He was here for the first day and half it was released. The poor guy was busting his ass on this theme, a vacation was very much needed.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 5, 2007, 11:18 PM

gorg and i decided when to unleash the new theme on the world. we could have waited until effgee was back from vacation, but we felt it was ready and his immediate presence wasn't required (and it wasn't).

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
when effgee gets back he can post the new smilies he worked on, and a poll. That will be interesting!
He didn't work on any smilies.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 03:26 AM

well he had a whole set of smilies he acquired ready to replace our current ones.

DrBoar
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 04:03 AM

I like it but were did the links to the teampage go? You should have one at the start page not buried in the forum subpage as before.

A worldcommunity grid teampage would be nice, pretty please Reader 50

reader50
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 04:18 AM

DrBoar, that sounds like a good subject for a poll in Team forum. We set up new sections upon member interest.

freudling
Banned
Feb 6, 2007, 04:37 AM

So far I hate the new theme. It is too white and grey. Nothing is defined. It is almost playing tricks on my eyes, like when looking at a printed spreadsheets without the grid showing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Well, by the same token, MacNN articles that do nothing except quote and link to an Electronista article are both spam-ish (or at least hit-whoring) and incredibly freaking annoying.
Indeed. It's nothing short of obnoxious.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 08:37 AM

Vacation? Didn't he leave for Germany for another work-project?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Vacation? Didn't he leave for Germany for another work-project?
Bingo.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 10:32 AM

I just wanted to pitch in my two cents as a web designer. I have to say that this redesign has created the nicest looking forum I've ever seen. It really is top notch. I read a lot of messageboards and am part of a lot of web communities, and I'm seriously impressed with the results here. It's super clean, and very professional. Easy to read as well.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 04:01 PM

After a few days since the redesign, I'm finding that browsing the forums has become a frustratingly laborious chore for me.

Though it certainly looks fancier, like I've mentioned, it's almost colorless, and I find myself getting lost in the forums-- it takes me considerably longer to get my bearings and to figure out which threads are new, which I've posted to, which have new posts etc. It's not as clear as that big red circle and the dot in the middle if there were new posts.

And as far as the icons-- it always seems to me like the threads have been read, because I keep on reading them as "inactive" due to icon(s' lack of) contrast.

It is like the difference between the following icons:

The former looks "available", the latter looks grayed out and unavailable or "read/old". All the little thread icons on this board look like the latter, and the tiny colored dots do little to help differentiate the threads.

So, I still feel "lost" on the board; It's harder for me to find threads and determine their status, in spite of the face lift. And I actually find it frustrating, as I could always tell the status of the board before just from a glance, even if it wasn't nearly as pretty.

Rumor
Feb 6, 2007, 04:38 PM

Are you talking about the contrast between the yellow dots? I find the contrast between the green dots to be highly noticable, but not so much with the yellow (though still noticable).

I think there is a good chance the indicators will be changed, are people who are colorblind and it looks shades of almost indistinguishable grey to them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
So, I still feel "lost" on the board; It's harder for me to find threads and determine their status, in spite of the face lift. And I actually find it frustrating, as I could always tell the status of the board before just from a glance, even if it wasn't nearly as pretty.
This is my sole complaint with the redesign. I'm getting used to the new look, and it is pretty, but I can't find threads as easily as with the old theme.

By the way, I like the sigs on the right now.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 05:41 PM

I tend to like contrast myself.

--- or ---

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 05:51 PM

Hard choice... the first ones LOOK better, but the second ones may be more FUNCTIONAL.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

--- or ---

the latter.
we don't have time to stop for gas

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 06:30 PM

I just realized what irritates me:

The icon for threads I've posted in and threads I haven't posted in is the same if there are new posts - it's just the color that's different.

The way it should work is that threads I haven't participated in have the SAME icon for new posts/no new posts, except with a different color highlight or something, while those that I HAVE participated in can keep the little dot as is, with different colors.

That's been very confusing to me for some reason.

I tend to differentiate strongly between threads I've participated in and threads I haven't.

Rumor
Feb 6, 2007, 06:50 PM

The problem with contrast though, is that some cannot see it. Put your monitor in grey scale and take a look. A few pages back, one of the members stated that he was colorblind and it posed a problem for him.

How aboutfor New Post (not posted here), moving the icon to the left of the envelope. That would make it clear if you have posted there or not.

As for the threads that one has posted in, perhaps making one icon a circle and the other a different shape like a triangle.

This would make it clear to everyone, colorblind or not.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 07:49 PM

Also the blue mod stars aren't as "chiseled" and defined as the yellow ones.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I tend to differentiate strongly between threads I've participated in and threads I haven't.
I do as well.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
How aboutfor New Post (not posted here), moving the icon to the left of the envelope. That would make it clear if you have posted there or not.

As for the threads that one has posted in, perhaps making one icon a circle and the other a different shape like a triangle.

Good ideas!

I've also thought that it'd be better simply to have two different icons for threads posted to and threads not posted to and then differentiate between read and unread by using a very different main color for either (such as white vs. bright red). Also, I don't know why the icons can't be bigger.

In the following graphic illustrates my suggestion, using two bigger, totally different icons for posted to and not posted to (using Iconfactory icons). I didn't modify spacing between thread titles or anything else save for the obvious icons.

Of course, I'm only using these icons as examples, but maybe we could have an enveloped without a pencil for not posted to, and one with an envelope, a piece of paper and a pencil for posted to.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
On another note, I see that the "view post" option is gone for people on ignore lists.

As it stands now, if I want to view an ignored poster's post (and keep them on ignore), I have to take them off the ignored list, view the post, and then put them back on.

One could make the argument that it defeats the purpose of having someone on ignore, but when I put someone on ignore, I intend to be able to see what they are saying on occasion.
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
True.

I'm not sure though whether that's merely annoying, or whether it actually builds character.

I've just decided that it builds character.

Leave it the way it is.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 12:39 AM

The little icon that shows up before the web address needs to be updated. I forget what you call them.
climber

Rumor
Feb 7, 2007, 03:08 AM

Favicon? Mine seems updated.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
The little icon that shows up before the web address needs to be updated. I forget what you call them.
Agreed. It bites. Here's one free of charge.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 03:52 AM

Looks snazzy.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 04:01 AM

--- or ---

Definitely the latter's better. But that's not the main issue. It seems beauty is winning over usability here. Why chose yellow and green plus a shade? They're too close together for anybody with colorblindness. How about using grey, blue, yellow, and red? Obviously that might not look as sexy, but at least it can be used by everybody.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 04:11 AM

--- or ---

The latter indeed, it's clearer

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
The problem with contrast though, is that some cannot see it. Put your monitor in grey scale and take a look. A few pages back, one of the members stated that he was colorblind and it posed a problem for him.

Exactly.

If you rely less on contrast and more on different colors, shapes or symbols, everybody will be able to use it.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Definitely the latter's better. But that's not the main issue. It seems beauty is winning over usability here. Why chose yellow and green plus a shade? They're too close together for anybody with colorblindness. How about using grey, blue, yellow, and red? Obviously that might not look as sexy, but at least it can be used by everybody.
We agree on the general idea, but I think four colors would be a bit confusing. That's why I'm suggesting there be one icon for "Posted to" threads and another for "Not Posted to" threads. The read and unread posts of each can be distinguished by either a little mark on the icon (like a check mark or such) or a different, contrasting main color (like white and red).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 05:39 AM

We agree on the general idea, but I think four colors would be a bit confusing. That's why I'm suggesting there be one icon for "Posted to" threads and another for "Not Posted to" threads. The read and unread posts of each can be distinguished by either a little mark on the icon (like a check mark or such) or a different, contrasting main color (like white and red).
That sounds like a very decent implementation.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 06:45 AM

Exactly.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 08:59 AM

Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Take a look at that in grayscales. That's what it looks like to colorblind people. No go.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Take a look at that in grayscales. That's what it looks like to colorblind people. No go.
Got a point there. But still better than before.
Signature depreciated.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2007, 11:48 AM

I suggested a very similar structuring a few weeks back, but I think it got lost in the bug thread in the beta forum.

Basically, I suggested using the same graphics as exist now: an envelope and a ‘blob’; and two colours: very light grey-yellow-green-ish and bright green.

Not posted in thread, no new posts: grey envelope
Not posted in thread, new posts: bright green envelope
Posted in thread, no new posts: grey envelope with grey ‘blob’
Posted in thread, new posts: bright green envelope with bright green ‘blob’

‘Blob’ signifies whether or not you’ve posted in the thread, while the colour tells you whether there are new posts or not. Obviously, ‘blob’ could be a pencil or a pair of penguins, for all I care; just something relatively small, but instantly noticeable, superimposed on the envelope. I’m no expert on colour-blindness, but a light grey-green-yellowish colour should be easy to distinguish from a bright (relatively dark) green even for colour-blind people, shouldn’t it?

finboy
Feb 7, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
We've all worked long and hard on this, effgee above all (our designer), and we really hope you like the changes.
I can appreciate the work you guys are doing. So thanks.

I find the look too busy, however, compared with what we had. It's more difficult to read the thread lists for some reason. Wish I could be more specific.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 7, 2007, 02:50 PM

I dummied up my higher-contrast icons over a few minutes yesterday. I'll cook up a further improved set tonight. I agree, we should use the entire icon to provide info (not just a very small dot) and that they should be differentiated by shape as well as color.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 03:40 PM

I'd like to see what effgee has to offer on the matter.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 03:49 PM

I understood he's on vacation
Still, Germany is about 5 min driving from here so I could ask him

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 07:56 PM

Quit Safari, go into your Library folder, and into the Safari folder. Delete the "Icons" folder. Then relaunch Safari and come back here.

Safari is really, really dumb about favicons. Once it has one in its cache, it never checks to see if there's a newer one out there.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Quit Safari, go into your Library folder, and into the Safari folder. Delete the "Icons" folder. Then relaunch Safari and come back here.

Safari is really, really dumb about favicons. Once it has one in its cache, it never checks to see if there's a newer one out there.
Hey, now all my icons are gone!..

Thanks for the tip.
climber

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 10:56 PM

favicons.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
favicons.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 07:50 AM

I like the one they have now better than that one erik. I like the "off centeredness" off it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:13 AM

So, what's the deal with all the bugs that have been posted here? Is somebody working on it? I'm just wondering because I noticed links to the first unread post are still broken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules