Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New mini/10.5 iChat won't open

New mini/10.5 iChat won't open
danangdoc
Dec 20, 2007, 11:55 PM

I set up an AIM acct for chatting, and got an e-mail confirmation. When I single click the iChat icon at the bottom of the screen (I'm new to Mac) nothing happens. Right click held down opens a list of options (hide, quit, etc.) I can't figure out how to make it open. I just bought the mini new, running OSX Leopard 10.5, and web access is fast DSL. Everything else (e-mail, etc.) works fine. Apple Support is no help. Anyone?
Thanks, and have a good holiday!

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2007, 12:49 AM

Congrats on your new Mac and welcome!
Have you tried launching iChat directly from the Applications folder? Has iChat worked for you in the past, or is the first time you've tried launching it?

iChat should launch regardless of whether or not you're connected to the internet.

iMan G5
Dec 21, 2007, 07:27 AM

If it says hide ,quit on the ichat icon its open. Is there a little colored light under ichat? Try clicking ichat and press Command 3(command is right next to spacebar) It should open the AIM IM list.

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 21, 2007, 11:23 AM

When I click on iChat in my applications folder, nothing happens. The CTRL/3 function brought up a Google Map. I'm not really happy with Apple right now. This should work seamlessly. If I have to spend an hour going through their 'voice help' (nothing on their site deals with 'not opening'). I'm likely to just unload it. I work in IT programming/admin so I'm familiar with setting up new software, terms, etc. New Lexmark 3500-4500 printer also doesn't work. Does a test page from the printer control panel so I know it works, and it copies just fine. Mac says "paused" but even in the little job window I can't unpause it. Just endless frustrations. All I can do is hope someone else has had the same issues and has a resolution. Thanks anyhow folks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 12:33 PM

Window Menu -> AIM Buddy List.

You must have closed the buddy list window.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2007, 02:45 PM

Umm.. first off, why are you using the Control key? On Macs, typically all the quick-key functions that you'd perform on a PC using the Control key, you would use the Command key -- which is located right next to the space bar.

Have you rebooted and does the problem persist? When you double click on the iChat application in the Applications menu, does the iChat menu bar appear at the very top (next to Apple icon in top most bar). If so, just like goMac said your Buddy List window might be closed.

If you need some tutorials on getting started with your Mac, you might want to check and see if any Apple Stores or Apple Service Providers in your area offer one-on-one training and setup. Mac OS X has a different workflow than Windows does, for switchers it takes some getting used to.

Lastly, if you don't think something is right -- Call AppleCare (1-800-APL-CARE). If this is a new machine you have 90 days of phone support. If you get (or have) AppleCare Protection Plan, then you have 3 years of phone support. If they suspect its hardware related, they'll direct you to an Apple Service Provider in your area.

iMan G5
Dec 21, 2007, 03:34 PM

You hit control 3? That makes Spaces(virtual desktop) go to desktop 3. It wouldn't open a Google Map.
When you click iChat is there a little blue thing under the iChat icon? If there is it is open.
When you right click it, theres quit? That means there should be a little blue thing under it as well.
If when you click iChat and nothing happens at all(no blue icon under iChat, no right click quit) means it isn't opening. But you said in your original post that there is Quit in the iChat right click menu. That means it has to be opened. And if it has to be opened it means there has to be a little blue icon like I said above under iChat's icon and any other apps that are open.

ibook_steve
Dec 21, 2007, 07:58 PM

Your confusion here is common for Windows users: even if there are no windows open for an application, that doesn't mean that the program is not running. Just click the icon for the program in the dock, and if you see the dot or blue light that people are talking about, as well as seeing the program name in the title bar at the top of the screen next to the Apple menu, then the program is running.

In Windows, the menus are always attached to opened windows. On the Mac, the menus are not attached so you are not always forced to switch to a window to get to a menu.

And when people talk about the "command" key, they are referring to the Apple key next to the space bar, not the control key in the lower-left corner. You can always see all running apps and switch to them by holding command and pressing tab.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 26, 2007, 04:57 PM

I'm the guy with the problem - it was others who suggested hittting other keys, which also did nothing. There are no lights of any color running. I bought a manual on Leopard and it shows a number of screens for iChat. Wonder how I get any of them to display. Yes, I have extended wtty and will call Apple. Whether the application is already open or not, nothing helps me to use it. I don't want to re-install 10.5 again, because I've done that once and it archives a copy and uses up valuable disk space. I think people are running so many versions of the OS that what works on one does not on another. Thanks anyway. Still, should't require having to go to a training class to use. Isn't Apple's mantra always about how easy it is to use?

ibook_steve
Dec 26, 2007, 07:58 PM

When you try opening iChat, does its icon even start to bounce in the dock? What happens when you double-click the actual iChat application in the Applications folder?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Jesus On Cheese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2007, 08:03 PM

I've seen this before. The menu you get when you click on iChat indicates that it is running (or has started running and crapped out). If it is running then left clicking on the iChat icon in the dock should make iChat the current program, and you should get the iChat menus in the Title bar at the top of the screen. If this does not happen then iChat is broken.

If iChat is broken then first thing is to do this:
Use Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and Verify Disk. If Verify Disk is OK, then Repair Permissions.

Also, run Software Update (under the Apple menu in the top right). Always a good idea to try the latest update if you are having problems.

With regards to the printer issue, the print queue is paused. Should just be a matter of deleting any queued jobs and restarting it. If that doesn't work then delete the printer and re-add it.

You said that you have already done an archive install. Were you experiencing other problems? Could be that there is an underlying fault causing these problems. As for the archive install taking up disk space, you can easily delete the 'previous system' by dragging it to trash.
PowerMac G5 1.6GHz 4GB 1TB Leopard Server, MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 3GB 160GB Tiger, Mac Mini 2.0GHz 3GB 250GB Leopard, Mac Mini 1.42GHz 1GB 250GB Tiger Server

iMan G5
Dec 26, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by danangdoc View Post
I'm the guy with the problem - it was others who suggested hittting other keys, which also did nothing. There are no lights of any color running. I bought a manual on Leopard and it shows a number of screens for iChat. Wonder how I get any of them to display. Yes, I have extended wtty and will call Apple. Whether the application is already open or not, nothing helps me to use it. I don't want to re-install 10.5 again, because I've done that once and it archives a copy and uses up valuable disk space. I think people are running so many versions of the OS that what works on one does not on another. Thanks anyway. Still, should't require having to go to a training class to use. Isn't Apple's mantra always about how easy it is to use?
I would say you just got the "bad" one out of the bunch. All new macs should work great out of the box. Sorry for your troubles.

If you archive and install, you can delete your "Previous System" folder. It already moved all of the items and apps to your account and it put them there incase you need them later.

I am running Leopard and I agree you shouldn't have to take it to a training class to get to know how to tuse it.

I think that you should download this app:AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot. and use it to delete iChat's .plist file. That might help if the .plist is corrupt or anything else. Also it might state that is a default app, so you will have to change the preferences, declick "Keep default applications safe" and click zap. Then go to the trash, and drag iChat back to the applications folder. There will be something like "com.apple.iChat.plist" in the trash. Make sure iChat is in the apps folder and hit Command - Shift - Delete and it will empty the trash. Then try to open iChat.
Good luck
(and I bought appzapper and I love it)

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 28, 2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks for these last suggestions. I'll give them a shot tonite. Extra thanks to 'cheese' and iManG5
Happy New Year!

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 28, 2007, 12:30 PM

BTW - I work in IT. I've also not had a "PC" at home since 2005. I've been 'clean' almost 2 years. One day at a time! Now I'm 'addicted' again, like I was when I got my Apple IIe back in '83.

danangdoc  (op)
Dec 29, 2007, 11:04 AM

OK, I should have looked harder. Just some differences with Mac that I'm not used to. Like I was expecting a window to open up. Must have been that last birthday....... Thanks to all for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules