Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVI to ADC Converter, which Display?

DVI to ADC Converter, which Display?
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 10:58 PM

I upgraded from a 15" Apple Studio Display to a 23" Cinema Display. I decided to use both with my PowerMac DP1.25

Is there any particular reason to hook up one display or the other to the DVI to ADC adapter?

Is there a performance difference between hooking up one display to the ADC port and one to the DVI to ADC Adapter?

Right now I've got the 23" to the ADC port and the 15" to the DVI to ADC Adapter. I can't tell any difference in performance. All the features work on both displays.

One thing that I find odd is the main display is the 15"(My desktop items default to there) even thought it is my second display. I don't know why it does that. I haven't switched them yet to see if this will swap with the connections.(it could be a function of display size??)

IRight now the only reason I have to put the 23" Cinema display onto the DVI to ADC Adapter is so I can easily swith it to my WindowsPC which has a Radeon 9700 Pro card that would look nice on the display.

Any experiences with this?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
One thing that I find odd is the main display is the 15"(My desktop items default to there) even thought it is my second display. I don't know why it does that. I haven't switched them yet to see if this will swap with the connections.(it could be a function of display size??)
If I've understood your problem correctly it's because you have your menu bar on the 15" display. You can change this by dragging it from the smaller 15" to the 23" in Displays in the System Preferences.

Personally, I'd keep it as is so that I could have the full 1920x1200 just for Photoshop

Hope that helps.

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
If I've understood your problem correctly it's because you have your menu bar on the 15" display. You can change this by dragging it from the smaller 15" to the 23" in Displays in the System Preferences.

Personally, I'd keep it as is so that I could have the full 1920x1200 just for Photoshop

Hope that helps.
Yes, I've dragged most everything over to the big display.

I was just curious why, initially, everything went over to the small display connected to the DVI port(my PM has the Radeon 9000 Pro.)

I plan to use the 23" as my Primary work space with Data and text files on the small display.

Other than the DVI to ADC adapter there is no difference in the quality of the connections. So, if I had two Cinema Displays there would be no way to detect any difference in performance.

I had assumed there would be some limitation for connecting through the Adapter, I'm glad I am wrong (I think...)

I still want the ability to switch the Cinema Display to my Windows PC. I could buy a $500 switch(ouch!) or perhaps I'll just reach back there and swap the connector....

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 08:36 AM

Dragging everything over wasn't what I meant. I'll try and explain it more clearly.

If you go to "System Preferences" and then into "Display" you should see (I'm typing this from memory - you might have to hunt around a bit) an "Arrange" tab at the top. Click this and then click and drag the iconic representation of the menu bar from the 15" display over to the 23". It'll be a little white line along the top of the smaller display. You can also shuffle your screens here, so that if you have the 23" on the right hand side of the 15" you have the pointer move from the 15" to the 23" out the RHS of the screen.

This should then have programs launch on the big screen as you want them to. Does that make more sense?

I can't help with the other question, though.

Yes, I've dragged most everything over to the big display.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:40 AM

He's covered the moving issue very well, but as far as quality differences between using the adapter or not, there won't be any. Those adapters are made to keep 100% of the picture quality throughout...plus, it's going from an already digital signal to just another high-end signal, this would be a different story if it started as analog and went to digital. The output from my 17" PB onto my 23" HD Display is perfect through the adapter.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 08:46 AM

I think what JohnM15141 meant is that he has exactly the same startup sequence as me. My 22-inch CD is hooked to the ADC port on my dual-1.25, and I have a 15-inch connected via the DVI port. On startup, the initial grey Apple screen appears on the smaller display. As the boot process continues, it switches to the larger display and all is normal. It seems to me to be an issue of the dual-head card; on my old Mac my second display was connected via a PCI card and I'm pretty sure the Cinema Display showed the initial grey screen.

It's not a big deal, I think he was just wondering why the smaller display seems to be recognized first.

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Dragging everything over wasn't what I meant. I'll try and explain it more clearly.
Okay, now I got it! Thanks!

I played with the Display Arrangement in the System Preference/Displays before, but did not realize the White bar was moveable.

You're explanation finally pierced my dense skull and got to my brain.

Now I've got it just the way I want it.

I am now very impressed how versatile having two displays is!

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 09:53 AM

Eeek, I should change my writing style if that's how it came across

Glad it's working as desired now.

You're explanation finally pierced my dense skull and got to my brain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules