Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > reformat with 0.5K block size instead of 4K? pdisk, diskutil...

reformat with 0.5K block size instead of 4K? pdisk, diskutil...
OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 01:11 PM

I'm interested in finding out if there's a way to format a disk from the commandline that will result in a filesystem block size of 512 bytes like Alsoft's PlusMaximizer does, rather than the default 4K. I've got lots of files smaller than 4K and would like to save space.

I've been looking through pdisk and diskutil and don't think I've yet found what I'm looking for.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2003, 01:37 PM

Remember that when Plus Maximizer came out, hard drive capacities were closer to 2 GB than the current multi-gigabyte drives. There is a tradeoff between efficiency and block size, and just because you can format with a 512K block size doesn't mean you should.

Now I am not saying don't do it. I just suspect Apple has made a reasonable tradeoff with the 4K block. And I also suspect you won't gain a lot by using 512K blocks.

Just a thought.

As for your question, I don't know. But you could always boot to OS 9 (if you can) and format the drive. Then use it in OS X.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules