Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Still can't decide OLD Ti or the NEW Al 15

Still can't decide OLD Ti or the NEW Al 15
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 07:37 AM

I found a few very cheap prices for the now few hours old, obsolete machine.. ha ha.

But I love the NEW KEYBOARD and ports on the side.

what I dont' love is the maybe heat issue.

Do you think the 15 inch will suffer from the same heat issue as the 12?

Not as much right because the 17 is fine?

And do I want to buy Rev A of something? But is it really since they did it already with the 12 and 17.

So many questions.

todays' update hurt my head ever more

babajazz
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 07:40 AM

NEW POWERBOOKS all the way..,I'm stoked, ordering the 15 inch beauty today.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by babajazz:
NEW POWERBOOKS all the way..,I'm stoked, ordering the 15 inch beauty today.
I saw the Ti top of line for 1999 and the 867 for 1599... that is tough to pass on

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 07:49 AM

Yeah, I like the new looks too much to pass up.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 07:50 AM

Considering the new 15" can be had with a backlit keyboard (on both models, on the low end you can BTO it in the keyboard option), I would get the new 15"

Then again I can get the 15" albook with superdrive and 1.25ghz processor for $2500 WITH tax (edu store RAWKS!)

And that's fine to me! I need the airport card and the backlit keyboard was a must. .
Aloha

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 07:52 AM

I have a Ti 667 DVI, and I see no compelling reason to upgrade at this time. If you are looking to keep your new laptop for 2-years or more, I say go with the new models. If you are expecting to upgrade to a G5 based PowerBook and you think it will happen inside of two years, I say go TiBook.

Of course, all of this depends on whether or not you need a backlight on your kybd, FW800, etc..

I think it sucks that the entry level 15" is 1GHz. The Ti has been at that speed for what seems like forever. If they $1999 model was at 1.25GHz, I'd be slightly tempted.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
what I dont' love is the maybe heat issue.
Chances are the 7457 chip will run cooler.

As for Rev A?

I think this Al 15" qualifies as a shrunken 17", hence Rev B.

Call it Rev A+.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:58 AM

I have the Ti 1Ghz SD. I gota say I love the Alu look of the new 15" and the AE and larger HD and backlit keyboard and bluetooth, but overall there is no point me upgrading just yet - if there wasnt much speed difference if any between the old 1Ghz and the 867 I doubt I will notice much between the 1Ghz and the 1.25 - none that would equate to the money I would loose/spend.

Nope, I'll just stick to plan a) 20" CD in 4/5 months, followed by a G5 desktop in 8 months and then hopefully a nice G5 15" Alubook in about 1.5 years.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
Chances are the 7457 chip will run cooler.

As for Rev A?

I think this Al 15" qualifies as a shrunken 17", hence Rev B.

Call it Rev A+.
cool.

what is so great about the blacklight keyboard... is everyone typing in the dark?

And no video camera use FW 800 yet...

these two options to me seem good very unattractive as a reason to buy. Sure cool, but what are the NOW uses for them.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 08:09 AM

[B]So many questions.
I was in the same boat but I think I will go with the new 1.25GHz model. I love my Ti667 and I prefer the ports on the back, but a 1GHz Ti would not improve my AirPort reception. And the faster processor and bus in the new 15-inch should mean a more significant speed boost for me.

Plus, the 80GB hard drive and the backlit keyboard are nice extras on the new model.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I was in the same boat but I think I will go with the new 1.25GHz model. I love my Ti667 and I prefer the ports on the back, but a 1GHz Ti would not improve my AirPort reception. And the faster processor and bus in the new 15-inch should mean a more significant speed boost for me.

Plus, the 80GB hard drive and the backlit keyboard are nice extras on the new model.
Well i'm going from an ibook 500, so either computer will feel so much better... my eyes hurt lately, I wonder if it is from the 12 inch screen....

babajazz
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 08:20 AM

mallrat
you asked what's so great about the backlit keyboard?
I plan on using the 15 inch in clubs in order to sequqnce live music. Having the backlit keyboard saves my life when I need to hit a keyboard shortcut in the semi dark club atmosphere. Anyone else here think of why the backlit thing is way cool?
I mean, it's damn cool.....I think so anyway....lol
cheers

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 08:40 AM

mallrat
I plan on using the 15 inch in clubs in order to sequqnce live music. Having the backlit keyboard saves my life when I need to hit a keyboard shortcut in the semi dark club atmosphere. Anyone else here think of why the backlit thing is way cool?
cheers
I just ordered a new powerbook... new to me that is... what I order was the 1Ghz, superdrive, 512 old reliable Ti book that I've loved since it came out.

At 1999 it was hard to pass up.. it is refurbished, but I mean 600 bucks off what it just was hours ago, seems pretty cool... 300 off waht it was a few days ago on the refurbished site...

Just a great deal.

for 1600 you can get the 867.... just super deals!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 08:44 AM

Congrats! Nothing like a new Mac.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 10:30 AM

Well i'm going from an ibook 500, so either computer will feel so much better... my eyes hurt lately, I wonder if it is from the 12 inch screen....
I too am upgrading from an older iBook and I am gonna order the 1.25 15".

I was going to order tonight, but I want to wait 24 hours to make sure I am not over-reacting to the LONG LONG wait we've endured.

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by pbjudge:
I too am upgrading from an older iBook and I am gonna order the 1.25 15".

I was going to order tonight, but I want to wait 24 hours to make sure I am not over-reacting to the LONG LONG wait we've endured.

- PJ
I hate myself. I'm having order blues... I think I like to look more than actually own...

I can't get the new powerbook out of my head!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 03:53 PM

The old TiBooks are still amazing machines. They also get better battery life and they're slightly thinner and lighter (although not by enough to really notice). If you have the money, get the new one, but if you're on a budget I'd certainly say get a TiBook over a 12" PowerBook - you'll appreciate the large screen.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
The old TiBooks are still amazing machines. They also get better battery life and they're slightly thinner and lighter (although not by enough to really notice). If you have the money, get the new one, but if you're on a budget I'd certainly say get a TiBook over a 12" PowerBook - you'll appreciate the large screen.
I'm a writer and the new keyboard I've loved.. the 17inch is too big... 15 is jsut perfect.. i like the ports on the side, the faster superdrive.... and is its the same heat at the Ti and doesnt' get over hot like I think the 12inch does, then even for a little more money, the new one seems great....

But I guess it's not worth it.. the differene would be about 500 dollars... I don't know if that is worth it

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 16, 2003, 04:03 PM

cool.

what is so great about the blacklight keyboard... is everyone typing in the dark?

And no video camera use FW 800 yet...
Yes, I type in dim light often.

Also, last time I checked, it's a backlit keyboard, not a blacklight keyboard (neat as that would be!!).

As for cameras... well duh. No video cameras NEED FW800. Standard DV video is 3.6MB/sec, FAR short of the 50MB/sec provided by FireWire 400.

tooki

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Yes, I type in dim light often.

Also, last time I checked, it's a backlit keyboard, not a blacklight keyboard (neat as that would be!!).

As for cameras... well duh. No video cameras NEED FW800. Standard DV video is 3.6MB/sec, FAR short of the 50MB/sec provided by FireWire 400.

tooki
Thanks for taking the time to point out my stupidity.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 04:18 PM

Mallrat, sympathies. I must admit I am lusting after the new 15" too - along with the new G5, the 20" CD, the new iPods, the new iMacs, the bluetooth mouse and keyboard ... and to be perfectly honest if I didnt already own the 15" Ti 1Ghz I would be lusting after that too. You will not be dissapointed. Dont forget, you spend most of your time on a laptop looking at the screen, not the case, and the screen is the same on both new and old models.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 04:23 PM

Looking at the features that the 1.25 GHz model gives you, if you want Airport, superdrive, and a backlit keyboard, you may as well suck it up and get the top-end model.

As soon as Apple puts Panther on these puppies, it will be mine.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 04:28 PM

Mallrat:
If the updated 15" AL does not have the fan problems of the past Ti models or the heat issues of the smaller 12" AL, then I say to go for the new 15". I really like the keyboard and the ambient light sensor is a nice touch.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Mallrat:
If the updated 15" AL does not have the fan problems of the past Ti models or the heat issues of the smaller 12" AL, then I say to go for the new 15". I really like the keyboard and the ambient light sensor is a nice touch.
Do the keys from the Ti really mess up the screen?

Is the new powerbook that much better?

I could still cancel my order... I just love not being able to make up my mind.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:32 PM

Do the keys from the Ti really mess up the screen?

Is the new powerbook that much better?

I could still cancel my order... I just love not being able to make up my mind.
No, keys do not mess up screen. Paint does not scratch and fan is not noisy. Had my 1Ghz 15" since March - top marks.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 07:46 PM

If you want light to see keyboard, you can find a flylight or Kennsington usb flex light free after rebate from CompUsa all the time!

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 08:28 PM

I'm considering the same options as you, Mallrat. Where did you get your 1GHz Ti refurb? Apple store right now doesn't have a checkbox by that model indicating availability.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by OoklaTheMok:
I'm considering the same options as you, Mallrat. Where did you get your 1GHz Ti refurb? Apple store right now doesn't have a checkbox by that model indicating availability.
That means they're sold out already!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by OoklaTheMok:
yes I got it from the apple store, but I bet there are still great deals on new models at macmall and the like... tekserve....

Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:52 PM

mallrat
cheers
This may seem a stupid reason to most people, but I play a lot of starcraft, and when I play, I play with a light on over my keyboard. For though I can type without looking, it's hard to find all the keys with ones left hand without looking. (bp, bc, bn, vs, vr..)

So, a backlit keyboard is a good solution, though I guess expensive in comparison to a $10 lamp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules