Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 ad banned (UK)

G5 ad banned (UK)
Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 12:28 PM

Article

Quite funny I thought... the arguments are valid but it seems to be one in a long line of put downs by other companies/organisations.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Article

Quite funny I thought... the arguments are valid but it seems to be one in a long line of put downs by other companies/organisations.

I tend to agree with the ban... after reading Macworld's test figures for Apple to claim what they are is very misleading.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I tend to agree with the ban... after reading Macworld's test figures for Apple to claim what they are is very misleading.
I don't disagree with the ban, but Macworld's test is basically useless.

I wouldn't base an assessment of the G5's speed on Macworld.

lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 02:56 PM

Is this truly shocking? Walk down any given street in NY and you will find every other food hole proclaiming to have the world's best grub. Everyone has the best whatever. Do people even take these claims seriously anymore? Hell, I'd be more impressed if someone were to claim "2nd best", or even "worst". It would be just as likely to influence me to buy as "world's best".
-m

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by lacrymology:
...every other food hole...
reading this I thought it was going to be a Bender-esque slur for humans

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 07:56 PM

I find it more funny that '8' people called and complained. Those must've been some peed off PC loving mac hating fanatics to call a television company to complain about a mac ad.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I find it more funny that '8' people called and complained. Those must've been some peed off PC loving mac hating fanatics to call a television company to complain about a mac ad.
They were probably Mac users. Let's be honest. Not everyone is blown away. Consumers tend to complain when their products don't meet expectations.

Scottie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 03:37 AM

Highly unlikely that those that complained about the G5 ads were Mac users. We love our Macs and know how superior they are to those completely boring, uncreative, and basically blue suit, red neck PCs that pretend to have a reason for bothering to compute. Bill Gates vs Steven Jobs - okay they're both very wealthy capitalist pigs - but who would you rather go pubbing with? Bill Gates just seems like such an exciting Man...Although I have never really cared about speed per se - hey we're talking about a few seconds here and there - gosh gonna knock the hell out of my work day - I still like to see Apple kick butt any way they can. Down with Dell, Down with Intel, Down with Microsoft. I have to use one of them stinkeeng PCs everyday at work -but thanks to Steve I can come home to my incredibly sexy G5. She is FAST!

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Skeleton:
reading this I thought it was going to be a Bender-esque slur for humans
hehe, whatever you say skintube.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 07:46 AM

Where can I see a copy of that TV ad banned in UK? The same one as in Apple.com website?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Scottie:
Highly unlikely that those that complained about the G5 ads were Mac users. We love our Macs
Of course. There's never been a single complaint on these forums either.

We all live in a blissful state of perfect Macirvana and create little illusions for ourselves that PC users are also a bunch of fanatics who care so much for a brand name.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2003, 01:16 PM

I have been tempted to complain about Apple's adverts to the ASA before, but I've never actually bothered.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
That's actually the typical amount of complaints the ITC gets - there was a news item a while back where 10 parents wrote into complain about some saucy music video on children's TV.

You have to understand that far more people than the ones who had time to write in, would have been unhappy with the ad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules