Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Email problems since 10.3.3 update

Email problems since 10.3.3 update
PianoMan
Mar 18, 2004, 08:50 PM

I can recieve emails but can' send them, this is while using the Mac OS X Mail program. It has only occurred in the last 2 days and may have been since I downloaded 10.3.3. When I try and send messahes I receive the following error:

MESSAGE DELIVERY FAILED

The SMTP server �smtp.mac.com� doesn�t support authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

You can try to send using a different server. All messages will use this server until you quit or change your network settings.
-------------------------------------------------

Note this error doesn't occur whilst sending mails from www.mac.com, only when using Mac OS X Mail program.

Is anyone else having this problem at the moment, or is it something that I may have done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 08:55 PM

Have you tried deleting the e-mail account settings and re-setting them up back up?

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Have you tried deleting the e-mail account settings and re-setting them up back up?
Yeah I tried that but there was no change. I cannot understand it.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 09:10 PM

What smtp server are you trying to use?

Do you have some sort of authentication turned on?

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 09:14 PM

What smtp server are you trying to use?

Do you have some sort of authentication turned on?
I'm using 'smtp.mac.com' I don't know how I would turn authorization on or off. I haven't made any changes to the system, the last thing I did was download 10.3.3

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 09:30 PM

Have you tried using your ISP's smtp server to see if you can send through that?

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 09:32 PM

Have you tried using your ISP's smtp server to see if you can send through that?
I'm with aol UK, how would I find out those smtp details I need?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by PianoMan:
I'm with aol UK, how would I find out those smtp details I need?
I'm sure it's something like:

smtp.aol.co.uk

But, I doubt that even fixes your issue anyway...

Under "Account Information" for your e-mail account in Mail's preferences, can you confirm that nothing is checked under the option "Server Settings..." (SMPT section)?

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 09:56 PM

I'm sure it's something like:

smtp.aol.co.uk

But, I doubt that even fixes your issue anyway...

Under "Account Information" for your e-mail account in Mail's preferences, can you confirm that nothing is checked under the option "Server Settings..." (SMPT section)?
Yeah I looked. The only authorisation that the account was using was my password. I decided to try with no authorisation and got the following error message when trying to send the email:

MESSAGE DELIVERY FAILED

The attempt to read data from the server �smtp.mac.com� failed.

You can try to send using a different server. All messages will use this server until you quit or change your network settings.
------------------------------------------------

I've checked at www.mac.com and it states that the servers are currently operational. i'm totally lost.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2004, 10:00 PM

Wild man, not sure what's going on...it could still be something on .Mac's end and hopefully will resolve itself...

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 10:02 PM

Wild man, not sure what's going on...it could still be something on .Mac's end and hopefully will resolve itself...
ok, thanks for all your help

I might try and ping the server.

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 03:43 AM

i think AOL might block you from using any other SMTP server then their own. i'm not too sure about this, but i think i remember reading something about it a while back. it really wouldn't suprise me if they are to reduce spam originating from their network.

you'd have to use their own SMTP server with authentication turned on likely since they probably won't allow anonymous SMTP relay.

anyone else on AOL using .mac e-mail?

-justin

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 06:16 AM

Are you trying to send email from a .Mac account? If you're not using a .Mac account, then you cannot use .Mac SMTP servers to send your email. Of course, if you are using a .Mac account and still cannot send mail through .Mac, then there's either something wrong with your password or Apple's servers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Some Guy []:
i think AOL might block you from using any other SMTP server then their own. i'm not too sure about this, but i think i remember reading something about it a while back. it really wouldn't suprise me if they are to reduce spam originating from their network.

you'd have to use their own SMTP server with authentication turned on likely since they probably won't allow anonymous SMTP relay.

anyone else on AOL using .mac e-mail?

-justin
Yeah maybe, BUT everything has been fine up to 2 days ago, so I don't know what would have changed?

Do any of you guys know any sites that would tell me the info I need for AOL's SMTP server? I'll try and set that up.

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Are you trying to send email from a .Mac account? If you're not using a .Mac account, then you cannot use .Mac SMTP servers to send your email. Of course, if you are using a .Mac account and still cannot send mail through .Mac, then there's either something wrong with your password or Apple's servers.
Yes it is a .mac account.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 09:44 AM

Maybe you should delete your keychain .Mac email password and reenter it, if you haven't already done that. If you can login to www.mac.com fine and have verified your email password is correct, then something's amiss. Maybe AOL is blocking outside SMTP access - I wouldn't put it past them. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but perhaps it's time to get a real ISP?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Maybe you should delete your keychain .Mac email password and reenter it, if you haven't already done that. If you can login to www.mac.com fine and have verified your email password is correct, then something's amiss. Maybe AOL is blocking outside SMTP access - I wouldn't put it past them. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but perhaps it's time to get a real ISP?
Yeah I can login at www.mac.com. How do I delete my pasword keychain?

I do actually suspect that it's AOL, but they must have only putthe block on in the last 2 days.

Thanks for your help.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:40 PM

Time to call the AOL tech support. Before I dumped them a couple years ago, they offered pretty good phone support for Macs (in US anyway).

Sometimes I'd get total idiots there - and then recall and get someone that really knew some Mac stuff. Worth a try (or two).
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Time to call the AOL tech support. Before I dumped them a couple years ago, they offered pretty good phone support for Macs (in US anyway).

Sometimes I'd get total idiots there - and then recall and get someone that really knew some Mac stuff. Worth a try (or two).
( Last edited by PianoMan; Mar 19, 2004 at 01:11 PM. )

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:

I just did. If you guys didn't know AOL UK don't officially support Broadband for Macs. The only way to get around it is to do some sneeky things and download the modem drivers (but of course AOL don't know, or don't tell mac users about this).

Anyhow, I had a PC when I signed up for AOL Broadband, and apparently it tied me in for 12 months. I have just explained to the lady at AOL that i didn't know that AOL UK Broadband was only a PC service, but apparently i should have known from the Terms & Conditions I read whilst signing up on a PC.

Anyhow they have no plans to make Macs compatible, BUT will not release me from the contract until my 12 month deal runs out (another 9 months). So for all they know I am effectively paying for a service that I cannot use. BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lady was giving it "I know how you feel, but there is nothing I can do", they won't even give me dialup for free, even though I'm paying them �27.99 per month.

Therefore I stuck on this service until then. How much do AOL Blow! You'd think macs where so foreign alien systems.

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 01:24 PM

I actually had the same problem when I first upgraded to Panther back in October with Charter internet services. Apple support and I were able to trace the problem back to the way authentication is handled on at the SMTP server. I think we fixed it by changing the authentication method in Mail. To do that, go to Mail Preferences, and Accounts. Pick the account you are having trouble with, and click Server Settings. It should allow you to choose what type of authentication should be used. I think we changed to password or from password to none, I can't remember which (not at home right now). Anyway, see if you can change the behavior by changing those settings.

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Bax23:
I actually had the same problem when I first upgraded to Panther back in October with Charter internet services. Apple support and I were able to trace the problem back to the way authentication is handled on at the SMTP server. I think we fixed it by changing the authentication method in Mail. To do that, go to Mail Preferences, and Accounts. Pick the account you are having trouble with, and click Server Settings. It should allow you to choose what type of authentication should be used. I think we changed to password or from password to none, I can't remember which (not at home right now). Anyway, see if you can change the behavior by changing those settings.
I already did this, I reported it above. Here:

The only authorisation that the account was using was my password. I decided to try with no authorisation (no password) and got the following error message when trying to send the email:

MESSAGE DELIVERY FAILED

I've checked at www.mac.com and it states that the servers are currently operational. i'm totally lost.

wetstuff
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 01:35 PM

....exact same thing here: I can get mail in off two servers, but am unable to reply on either. Same message. I don't use .mac. I don't use AOL....regular mail servers, not portal servers.

I'm going to shift to an account at fastmail.fm in the UK. I keep a priviate one there and it's probably the best $15.USD that I've ever spent.

BTW: Safari won't respond to the keyboard....DW won't open.... I'm doing this thru IE. Opera also works as does Pshp 8...and Claris Works.

.......I HATE UPGRADES.

Jim

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by PianoMan:
I already did this, I reported it above. Here:

The only authorisation that the account was using was my password. I decided to try with no authorisation (no password) and got the following error message when trying to send the email:

MESSAGE DELIVERY FAILED

Sorry, I missed that.

PianoMan  (op)
Mar 19, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Bax23:
Sorry, I missed that.
HEY YOU FIXED MEE!!!!!! THANKS!

before, I just deleted the password, this time I selected none for authorisation like you said and hurray, it works again!!!!!!!

When I did the update, it must have changed my email settings for some reason.

Anyhow THANK YOu, nad thank all of you for you input

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2004, 02:29 PM

Cool, that's what I was eluding to yesterday; however, glad you got it fixed now...

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 04:20 PM

Cool, Piano, I am glad you got it working. I should have been more clear in my post by saying there was a pulldown menu where you could select authentication method.

Forum Links
Forum Rules