Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW Screenshots!!!

WoW Screenshots!!!
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 01:18 AM

Hey here are a few screenshots, hope you enjoy them. Ill keep on posting more and take requests of what you guys want to see...ill try and get as many up as I can (when im not playing ) BTW these screens come from a dual G4 500 with radeon 7000...so the graphics are nothing near how nice they should look...and they already look nice on this system

Here is a shot of the charictor screen

this shows the charictor info screen, spell book screen, and my two bags

....ahhh no better way to end the day with a nice swim in the evening

mrgreen4242
Mar 25, 2004, 02:30 AM

Cool! Thanks for posting those... if no one else appreciates it, I do... I am looking 'switching' shortly (once the PB's get updated/price dropped) and one of the key factors is WoW being released for the Mac at launch. Very cool of Blizzard.

Anyways, it is nice to see that you are running to game on a system that should perform about on par with the newer powerbooks. (is that pretty accurate??) How would you say it runs? Pretty smooth or is it a chore when there are several palyers/mobs/items on the screen at once?

Thanks again,
Rob

EDITED I typoed and said POWERMAC and not POWERBOOK in para 2.
( Last edited by mrgreen4242; Mar 25, 2004 at 01:42 PM. )

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Mar 25, 2004, 04:14 AM

Would hate to rain on the original poster's parade, but a dual-500 G4 doesn't really compare with the newer Power Mac (i.e. G5) machines.

I wouldn't be surprised to see triple the frame rates on any G5 machine compared to a G4-500.

Rob

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 08:32 AM

thanks for the shots... keep em coming!

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2004, 10:11 AM

Well, I'm not too impressed with those screens. They're about as detailed as Shadowbane was. Though, hopefully the level of detail can be increased a great deal on higher-end machines.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by mrgreen4242:
Cool! Thanks for posting those... if no one else appreciates it, I do... I am looking 'switching' shortly (once the PB's get updated/price dropped) and one of the key factors is WoW being released for the Mac at launch. Very cool of Blizzard.

Anyways, it is nice to see that you are running to game on a system that should perform about on par with the newer powermacs. (is that pretty accurate??) How would you say it runs? Pretty smooth or is it a chore when there are several palyers/mobs/items on the screen at once?

Thanks again,
Rob
Bliz always release simultaneously, so don't worry about that

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

shiff
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 11:49 AM

Is wow multi processor aware? Reason I ask is I am planning on purchasing a new mac and I am using this game as an excuse.. hehe.. I use all pcs at work so the mac would be a fun machine for me, but am not sure if I wanna shell out the cash for a dual proc machine since I do no graphics or video work at all...

I will shell out the cash if wow is smp aware though...

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by shiff:
Is wow multi processor aware? Reason I ask is I am planning on purchasing a new mac and I am using this game as an excuse.. hehe.. I use all pcs at work so the mac would be a fun machine for me, but am not sure if I wanna shell out the cash for a dual proc machine since I do no graphics or video work at all...

I will shell out the cash if wow is smp aware though...
From the other WoW thread:

Effort we spend on optimizing the Mac version will tend to be aimed at improving frame rate on lower end G4 systems as a first choice - raising the top end frame rates on G5 systems is a secondary goal. As it turns out, most changes we make to benefit G4 also help G5 systems so it works out OK.

With respect to dual processor support, the game is already multithreaded, the impact this has is that you have a smoother experience when moving around in the world since the majority of the file loading can be handled on the second processor (also sound mixing and 3D sound processing).

In general a dual processor machine will -not- be twice as fast as the equivalent single processor system, but you will notice smoother gameplay and almost zero penalty for enabling lots of sound effect options.

Rob

shiff
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info.. I just read that right after I made a post. Should have searched.

-Q-
Mar 25, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
Well, I'm not too impressed with those screens. They're about as detailed as Shadowbane was. Though, hopefully the level of detail can be increased a great deal on higher-end machines.
I see you missed the part about JSnuff using only a Dual G4 500, and Rob's subsequent follow-up.

So far, it looks pretty good. Better than EQ by far. I've never really gotten into MMORPGs even tho' I've wanted to (I've tried! I really tried! ). Hopefully this will have a different result.

How important is know the background of the other Warcraft games to playing/enjoying this one? I never got into the warcraft series...

benb
Mar 25, 2004, 12:27 PM

Pfft. You chose a Human.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
How important is know the background of the other Warcraft games to playing/enjoying this one? I never got into the warcraft series...
I'm sure that it won't be important at all. It never was for Warcraft 2 or 3. I'm sure that Blizzard will give you all the information you need to understand what is going on, while still referencing past characters/events/locations.

mrgreen4242
Mar 25, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by rbarris:
Would hate to rain on the original poster's parade, but a dual-500 G4 doesn't really compare with the newer Power Mac (i.e. G5) machines.

I wouldn't be surprised to see triple the frame rates on any G5 machine compared to a G4-500.

Rob
Ya, I typoed (edited post to reflect that) and said powermac when I meant POWERBOOK. I am hoping that comparison (2xg4-500 PM vs new PB) is pretty fair...

You are a blizzard employee, correct? Any idea how WoW is running on the underspec (under 1ghz/64mb vram) macs let into the beta? Everything else I in a laptop is satisfied by an iBook (933mhz model), and WoW will probably be the most steneous task I ask my mac to perform. As long as it plays smoothly, I am not to concerned with graphics setting levels (I don't mind turning them down to get smooth framerates).

Also, anyone knwo if this will be released like War3, with the Mac and PC clients on the same disc/s?

Thanks in adavnce!

(the other) Rob

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 02:57 PM

Yes, the detail gets much better. He has it on a lower setting because of his hardware. I have to do the same thing on mine too. I have taken a few screens that I will post when I get home from work tonight. I pumped up the detail on the screens to show how they can look. I will give the details with the post.

I just have to say that on high detail, the game is stunning (to me anyway). Especially for the scope of the game. I wish I had a dual 2GHz G5 to test on to see if I can max out the settings and still play smoothly.

On a side note: anyone who is beta testing know how to show the framerate? I haven't been able to find the info on that anywhere.

Stay tuned for more screenshots.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 03:20 PM

I am so happy to see someone is enjoying it on a Dual 500mHz G4

That gives all of use with machines at the minimum req. hope

-Owl

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 04:13 PM

mrgreen, on low settings it plays suprisingly well, i even have my resolution set to 1024x768. When there are less than 5 characters/creeps on the screen the frame rates are very smooth. Of course when there is more action going up it gets pretty jerky, but consering this is an ancient machine by today's standards and Blizzard is no where near done optimizing this game(beta testers are still testing the ALPHA version) they have done an incredible job with performance. This thing will scream on mid ranged systems when the retail comes out. The word so far is the the game will come out at the same time as PC as all blizzard games have been doing the past few years. I dont know what disks they will use for installing though...since this game is 2 gigs in size right now, wouldnt be suprised if they used DVD.

maroma i posted a thread on how to show frame rates on the WoW forums and the only reply i got was to press Control R...i am not at my computer right now so i cant test this...give it a try.

mrgreen4242
Mar 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
mrgreen, on low settings it plays suprisingly well, i even have my resolution set to 1024x768. When there are less than 5 characters/creeps on the screen the frame rates are very smooth. Of course when there is more action going up it gets pretty jerky, but consering this is an ancient machine by today's standards and Blizzard is no where near done optimizing this game(beta testers are still testing the ALPHA version) they have done an incredible job with performance. This thing will scream on mid ranged systems when the retail comes out. The word so far is the the game will come out at the same time as PC as all blizzard games have been doing the past few years. I dont know what disks they will use for installing though...since this game is 2 gigs in size right now, wouldnt be suprised if they used DVD.

maroma i posted a thread on how to show frame rates on the WoW forums and the only reply i got was to press Control R...i am not at my computer right now so i cant test this...give it a try.
Thanks for the report. Hopefully they will slash the prices on the current PowerBooks pretty soon, so I can afford to get a 1ghz PB (with the much better video system) instead of a 933mhz iBook! I'd hate to have to cancel my switching plans because I can't afford a mac laptop that will play WoW!

-Q-
Mar 25, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I wish I had a dual 2GHz G5 to test on to see if I can max out the settings and still play smoothly.
You can't have my Dual, but I'd be happy to provide some 'evaluation' screen shots for you.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 06:10 PM

Cool, I'll give it a try when I get home. I hate being at work now even more than I normally do!

I'll look for you on the server tonight, maybe we can team up on some quests or something. I'm 'Maroma' there as well.

I also chose human for my first character. I am a lvl 13 warrior. I'm going to try a Night Elf Rogue next. I've got a couple quests I could use some help on though. Mainly in Westfall, taking out Defias Bandits. Anyways, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 11:02 PM

OK, here are the screenshots I promised. I took these late last night, around 12:00 am. This is the reason for the dark images. I will take some during the day next time. Sunset is particularly nice. I have pumped all the graphic settings to the max, but some of the images are at 800x600, and some are at 1024x768. I'll do the highest res next time (I think it's 1600x1200).

------------------------

So I decided to take a break from my battles and head into the main city of Stormwind. Upon entering, I encounter the humbling Valley of Heroes. After passing through the valley, I enter the usually bustling Trade District. Further inside Stormwind, a School Mistress and her students pass me by, and don't even give me a second look. I guess they are used to people like me hanging around.

I decide I'd like to take a trip to the Dwarf homeland, Dun Morogh. Not feeling like walking, I opt to take a quicker, and more fun mode of transportation. So I talk to a man who can help me with that. But first I take one last look at the valley. I hop on the Gryphon and enjoy the ride. As I approach the main city of Ironforge I am impressed by the city walls. At the entrance I spot an intimidating tank.

I'm feeling a bit of jet lag from the flight, and it's a bit nippy, so I search out a good spot for a rest. With a view like this, it's the perfect spot for a good night's sleep.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the screenshots and a description of them.

I'm wondering if that last screenshot caused your FPS to take a dive? It have to be cuz there's so many polygons and is huge!

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Thanks for the screenshots and a description of them.

I'm wondering if that last screenshot caused your FPS to take a dive? It have to be cuz there's so many polygons and is huge!
You better believe it! I didn't know how to show the frame rate at the time, but it wasn't pretty. But I had the graphics way up for the screenshots. Thanks to Jsnuff1, I now know how to show the frame rate. The next screenshots I'll include it.

ghotirking
Mar 26, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by benb:
Pfft. You chose a Human.
Okay, I must really be tired, cuz this just cracked me up.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2004, 05:03 AM

You better believe it! I didn't know how to show the frame rate at the time, but it wasn't pretty. But I had the graphics way up for the screenshots. Thanks to Jsnuff1, I now know how to show the frame rate. The next screenshots I'll include it.
What hardware do you have? I'll be playing on my PowerBook 17" 1Ghz. Stupid Apple and their inclusion of a GeForce 4MX in it

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
What hardware do you have? I'll be playing on my PowerBook 17" 1Ghz. Stupid Apple and their inclusion of a GeForce 4MX in it
My specs:

1.3GHz G4 (upgraded from 500MHz Sawtooth)
GeForce3 64MB (flashed from PC)
1GB RAM
160GB HD
21" CRT Monitor
and Cable internet connection

It should definitely be playable on your Powerbook. Especially if they improve speed by the release.

benb
Mar 26, 2004, 03:14 PM

From the screens I've seen, I think WoW will benefit greatly from 4X FSAA.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 03:38 PM

Awesome pics, maroma. Thanks!

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 04:40 PM

MacGamer has also posted a large number of incredible screenshots.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
MacGamer has also posted a large number of incredible screenshots.
at the amount of screenshots!

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 02:47 AM

So I decided to take a break from my battles and head into the main city of Stormwind. Upon entering, I encounter the humbling Valley of Heroes. After passing through the valley, I enter the usually bustling Trade District. Further inside Stormwind, a School Mistress and her students pass me by, and don't even give me a second look. I guess they are used to people like me hanging around.

I decide I'd like to take a trip to the Dwarf homeland, Dun Morogh. Not feeling like walking, I opt to take a quicker, and more fun mode of transportation. So I talk to a man who can help me with that. But first I take one last look at the valley. I hop on the Gryphon and enjoy the ride. As I approach the main city of Ironforge I am impressed by the city walls. At the entrance I spot an intimidating tank.

I'm feeling a bit of jet lag from the flight, and it's a bit nippy, so I search out a good spot for a rest. With a view like this, it's the perfect spot for a good night's sleep.
Good work maroma! Thanks.

Hopefully we'll see some more MacNNers in the future beta phases.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2004, 03:13 AM

Awesome screenshots, folks. I'm looking forward to this game more and more now.

Blizzard's team of artists have a great sense art style, I have to say.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2004, 10:38 AM

Isn't it time for Apple to buy Blizzard? Anyone?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mrgreen4242
Mar 27, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Isn't it time for Apple to buy Blizzard? Anyone?
That would be on the fridged side of cool. Everyone start emailing Steve about this!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Mar 27, 2004, 03:13 PM

LOL, then Steve could include the latest iBlizzard app with the next version of OS X? Part of the iLife suite! iWoW!
iMac G4 / Macbook

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2004, 03:44 PM

WOW! (No pun intended)

If this game is nearly as fun to play as it is good looking.. it'll be awesome!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mrgreen4242
Mar 27, 2004, 09:59 PM

Man, the more I look at this game the better it seems... I am just about to buy a new/refurb mac laptop and am still straddling the fence on iBook/PowerBook... For everything else I want to do, the 14" 933mhz iBook will do just fine, but I am concerned that I won't be able to play WoW on it (it will be my only system for a little over a year). I am confident that the 15" 1ghz PB, with its faster system bus, bigger cashe, and mainly it's much better video card will be able to push the game along pretty well...

The difference in price between the two (even new iBook vs refurb PB) is enough that I could get a 15GB iPod (drool) and some software along with my iBook purchase.

Of course, if Apple puts the current 15" 'guts' (faster video bus, better video card, 2 SODIMM slots) into a 12" PB and keep the current 12" price structure, my choice just became realllly easy.

Oh well, point of this long babble was to ask if anyone has some first hand experience (or way of testing!) WoW on a 933mhz G4 iBook?

Thanks,
Rob
( Last edited by mrgreen4242; Mar 28, 2004 at 12:09 AM. )

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2004, 07:49 AM

Does this game come out for Linux as well ?? x86 Linux that is... Just wondering.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

mrgreen4242
Mar 28, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
Does this game come out for Linux as well ?? x86 Linux that is... Just wondering.
No, but there is alrady work to get it working under WINE for x86 Linux machines, and seems to be going pretty well... There is a group forming right now that has got the Alpha/Beta builds to boot under WINE, and will be working to make it fully playable under Linux, as well as offer support and free configuration scripts. Here is a link to the post on Blizzards boards about it. http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thr...17#post1549937

It is important to note that this is not Blizzard supported in any way.

Hope it works out for them!

Rob
( Last edited by mrgreen4242; Mar 28, 2004 at 09:21 AM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 01:41 PM

I really want to beta WOW too....
click one

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2004, 02:17 PM

Me too. I'm checking every day to see if they've opened Beta-applications for Europe.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
WOW! (No pun intended)

If this game is nearly as fun to play as it is good looking.. it'll be awesome!
the good looks come secondary to me..the game play is incredible i have not been bored once doing anything in the game so far.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Me too. I'm checking every day to see if they've opened Beta-applications for Europe.
I'm doing the same thing, but I doubt that will happen any time soon I also wonder whether membership will be twice the US price + VAT
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 11:30 PM

-Owl

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:

-Owl
Haha i made the mistake of using my AIM name on the wow forums and ive been bombarded with a couple im's a night with people pleading me to give my cd-key to them...heh some of them have gone as far as offering money.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 04:27 AM

I'm on the Microsoft beta list. Though, they haven't sent me anything in a while. Last thing they wanted me to beta was Age of Mythology for the PC a few years back. As luck would have it, I had just dumped my PC for a Power Mac. Oh well...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Bliz always release simultaneously, so don't worry about that
Diablo II was not released simultaniously.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Wasn't it? I thought it was released on Hybrid CDs at the same time. Or was it released 2 days later? Either way, it was basically a simultaneous release.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
It most certainly was released simultaneously on a Hybrid Disc.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 30, 2004, 12:08 PM

Haha i made the mistake of using my AIM name on the wow forums and ive been bombarded with a couple im's a night with people pleading me to give my cd-key to them...heh some of them have gone as far as offering money.
That kinda sucks...how many people that get onto the beta test team actually beta test?

Most are kids that just want to play the game no matter the state of the game. People asking for the CD-key or trying to pay money for this proves that there is a group of people that doesn't contribute anything to beta-testing.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:38 PM

It most certainly was released simultaneously on a Hybrid Disc.
It most certainly was not. The PC version was released first. Then less then a month later the Mac version went gold and shipped. Diablo II LoD however was simultaneous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules