Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Clarifying Moderator Responsibility

Clarifying Moderator Responsibility
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 11:52 AM

Posting here since this discussion was taking the thread off topic...

Millennium said (in response to macvilliage):
If you think that I should be shown as a non-mod in forums where I am a non-mod, please take it up with the admins. No, really, I mean it; I've suggested this several times, but the current policy is deemed to be "less confusing", and so it stands. If more people were to ask, the suggestion may carry more weight.
Why not keep it generally the same but instead just add 'software' or whatever forum it is that you (plural) mod, next to where it says 'moderator'?
( Last edited by lil'babykitten; Mar 26, 2004 at 12:21 PM. )

Lerkfish
Mar 26, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I do think its somewhat confusing for the new member. I recall some moderator (perhaps millenium, I'm not sure) that I tussled with on the forum and felt their behaviour was unbecoming a mod (whether true or not, that was my percpetion at the time) Only afterwards was I aware of the compartmentalizing of responsibility in the lounge and therefore the relative freedom of nonresponsible mods to speak their minds.

which I think is a good way to do it, actually, but can be confusing at first.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 12:01 PM

You are being petty LBK.

Does it really bother you that much? Do blue stars haunt you at night?
( Last edited by Zimphire; Mar 26, 2004 at 12:12 PM. )

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You are being petty LBK.

Would you like to re-read my post?

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 12:21 PM

Yes, why do you or anyone else care what title said person has? What does it matter?

Do you think just because he has "Moderator" in his name that he has some unfair advantage?

Just curious.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 12:30 PM

Yes, why do you or anyone else care what title said person has? What does it matter?

Do you think just because he has "Moderator" in his name that he has some unfair advantage?

Just curious.
umm, perhaps you should read the few posts linked to in my post. I didn't even initially bring this up. I was aware of the small dispute about moderator status prior to Millennium's post, so here I am posting what I think would be a good way to clarify.
Really, I don't actually think it would make any difference, as I have already said in the thread this discussion started in, I have always thought moderator status was pretty clear at the top of the forum page.

It's actually a few mods that want the change, not me in particular.

I brought this up in the interests of other people's opinions on this and to prevent the other thread (which was a political thread) from going off-topic.

Like I said, READ the damn thread!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2004, 12:44 PM

Nothing will change...

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 12:47 PM

Like I said in my first post.

Petty.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 26, 2004, 12:53 PM

You are being petty LBK.

This is funny. First everyone goes on a reporting tirade and now people are complaining about Millenium because he is a mod and they think it's "improper" or "confusing"?

Whats really funny. IT'S A DISCUSSION FORUM How can anyone get their feelings hurt because some anonymous computer geek called them a name? IT'S A DISCUSSION FORUM FOR PETE'S SAKE Who cares of someone is a mod. ITS A DISCUSSION BOARD, words typed by someone who disagrees with you should have absolutlely ZERO affect on your life!

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
This is funny. First everyone goes on a reporting tirade and now people are complaining about Millenium because he is a mod and they think it's "improper" or "confusing"?

Whats really funny. IT'S A DISCUSSION FORUM How can anyone get their feelings hurt because some anonymous computer geek called them a name? IT'S A DISCUSSION FORUM FOR PETE'S SAKE Who cares of someone is a mod. ITS A DISCUSSION BOARD, words typed by someone who disagrees with you should have absolutlely ZERO affect on your life!
Indeed it is petty.

This is just a followup of threads like this one.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=204044

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 01:41 PM

Sheesh, you guys really have a reading comprehension problem.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Ok LBK, please explain it slowly to us that have a comprehension problem.

What do you exactly want to happen? What do you want changed?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 01:59 PM

i'd like this change, too.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2004, 02:20 PM

Huh?

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Huh?
Bookmarked.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 05:19 PM

Still waiting for LBK to school me.

LBK?

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 06:11 PM

Still waiting for LBK to school me.

LBK?
I think the phrase your looking for is 'you need re-educated' . Really zimph I do that a lot already. Stop following me!

Look, I already said, this is not an issue I find particularly burning. I've noticed people bring it up lately on several occasions in the Politics forum. I also know that there are a few mods who would rather they only showed up as mods in the forums they moderate.

Personally, I think the lists of mods for each forum are clearly placed at the top the page.

And as I said earlier:
I brought this up in the interests of other people's opinions on this and to prevent the other thread (which was a political thread) from going off-topic.
You keep asking me 'why I want this changed', despite the fact that I've already explained why I started this thread. I don't care whether they change it or not!

Comprende?!

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 06:18 PM

I think the phrase your looking for is 'you need re-educated' . Really zimph I do that a lot already. Stop following me!

Look, I already said, this is not an issue I find particularly burning. I've noticed people bring it up lately on several occasions in the Politics forum. I also know that there are a few mods who would rather they only showed up as mods in the forums they moderate.

So far I only see one that has spoken up.

I am just trying to understand why this matters.

Personally, I think the lists of mods for each forum are clearly placed at the top the page.
And as I said earlier:

You keep asking me 'why I want this changed', despite the fact that I've already explained why I started this thread. I don't care whether they change it or not!

Comprende?!
No, YOU just said "Why not keep it generally the same but instead just add 'software' or whatever forum it is that you (plural) mod, next to where it says 'moderator'"

You never said WHY you wanted it done.

So why do YOU LBK want this to happen? How would this change your forum experience in any way?

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 07:09 PM

I am just trying to understand why this matters.
I think this becomes a problem in the Political forum. Mods are anxious that their political views are not seen as representative of MacNN but rather their own personal opinions.
No, YOU just said "Why not keep it generally the same but instead just add 'software' or whatever forum it is that you (plural) mod, next to where it says 'moderator'"

You never said WHY you wanted it done.

So why do YOU LBK want this to happen? How would this change your forum experience in any way?
JEEBUS!

My suggestion was a middle ground point. The stars would remain but it would say beneath them 'software' or 'OSX' or whatever. Just to make clear what forums it is they have 'power' over. I've seen other users express their dissatisfaction with moderators who are somehow supposed to be 'neutral', showing their political biases. Really I regret starting this thread now, it's the users who have shown their unhappiness with the 'system' who should be posting here. Oh well...

Lerks point was that it was confusing to new comers. Maybe so. Up to the admins to decide.

Really I'm not going to lose any sleep over this! Personally I don't expect mods to have to act as neutral players in the Politics forum and any changes made are not going to affect my forum experience at all.

COMPRENDE?!

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 07:24 PM

I think this becomes a problem in the Political forum. Mods are anxious that their political views are not seen as representative of MacNN but rather their own personal opinions.
LBK you are speaking for all mods. That isn't the case. Again, I have only seen one mod making any such concern

I wonder how many people here think that mods posts = speaking for MacNN

Do you think that?

My suggestion was a middle ground point. The stars would remain but it would say beneath them 'software' or 'OSX' or whatever. Just to make clear what forums it is they have 'power' over.

All one has to do is look on the top of the page to see who has power and who doesn't.

I've seen other users express their dissatisfaction with moderators who are somehow supposed to be 'neutral', showing their political biases.

Wait, since when are mods supposed to be neutral? I believe they are allowed to have an opinion.

The ONLY people I have seen complain about this, have complained about vmarks. You included.

Really I regret starting this thread now, it's the users who have shown their unhappiness with the 'system' who should be posting here. Oh well...

All I was pointing out LBK was, it was petty. And really wouldn't change anything.

In other words, not really worth the trouble.

Lerks point was that it was confusing to new comers. Maybe so. Up to the admins to decide.

Haven't seen many new comers complain. Mostly old timers that know who is who.

Really I'm not going to lose any sleep over this!
Personally I don't expect mods to have to act as neutral players in the Politics forum and any changes made are not going to affect my forum experience at all.
I agree it is petty.

COMPRENDE?!
Sure, now that you have finally explained why YOU want it changed.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 07:31 PM

The ONLY people I have seen complain about this, have complained about vmarks. You included.
O RLY?! where?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2004, 07:45 PM

Phew, it's getting really deep in here and I forgot my boots...

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 07:58 PM

Phew, it's getting really deep in here and I forgot my boots...
Here, take mine. I'm leaving!
Feedback threads are supposed to die within a minute of posting.....

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2004, 08:05 PM

Feedback threads are supposed to die within a minute of posting.....
Much like this one should have...

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 08:07 PM

O RLY?! where?
As far as threads about vmarks

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...arks+moderator
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=204044

The above threads show what this is really about.

As far as you saying anything, I was wrong.

I apologize.

Not that you would ever refrain from bitching about vmarks.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Mar 27, 2004 at 02:34 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2004, 08:08 PM

Much like this one should have...

Heh

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2004, 09:21 PM

Are you guys done yet? Here's the deal. It has been discussed in the past, and it has come up again recently, about having moderator status in only the forums you moderate. Some mods have voiced concern about there own personal opinions being misconstrued as being representative of the site. And it has happened. People have made complaints about MacNN's position on a subject based on a moderator�s personal opinion.

And I am sure that it can be somewhat confusing to a newbie. Most people figure it out pretty quick, but honestly, not all of our members are the rocket surgeons we like to pretend they are. IF it does cause some consternation to some folks, maybe we ought to revisit the issue again.

As the prophet Rodney once said, "can't we all just get along?"
Nemo me impune lacesset

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 27, 2004, 09:39 PM

People have made complaints about MacNN's position on a subject based on a moderator�s personal opinion.

Who complained? what moderator was it?

These all play into how this is to be dealt with.

More info really is needed.

As far as in this part of the forum. I have only seen one mod's posts being questioned.

Usually the same mod over and over again.

One thread was even asking said mod's moderator status be removed.

I think this thread and those are connected. If you are so insecure about your views that someone with "moderator" under their nick intimidates you..

well what can I say.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Mar 29, 2004 at 03:02 AM. )

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 29, 2004, 04:30 PM

more than one moderator has been complained about because of their blue stars in a forum they have no power in.
and no, i don't have to give examples.

anyhow, i'll be asking a few more mods and Monish about this and see where we stand on this issue (this time around).

until then, all of you need to settle down.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Mar 29, 2004, 05:41 PM

As DH said, we will talk about it, but I am still honestly baffled as to how anyone would think that MacNN as a company would have opinions on any political or religious issue at all. I just don't see where the confusion is. When I talk to people that happen to work for some company or another, I don't hold the company responsible for things the person says that are unrelated to the company itself...just doesn't make sense.

Also, our logic in having moderators having a title everywhere is that sometimes they need to comment on *forum business*, and then it helps that people know that they're an authority figure. (For example, in the Feedback forum, where none of them are mods.)

But anyway, this issue has come up more than once, so clearly people are getting confused for some reason, so we will think about what to do with it.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules