Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > creating DivX using iMovie but quality not good.

creating DivX using iMovie but quality not good.
ashishn
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 09:44 AM

I hope this is the right forum.

I want to create DivX abd VCD from my handycam videos.

My project is ready in iMovie after editing. I created DivX by choosing Extert Settings and then choosing DivX from Divx's window as I have DivX 5.2 installed. I chose Home Theatre Profile. it took over 3 hours to create the 57 minutes video. The resolution selected was 720 X 576. The output file was 380MB large.

I then viewed the movie in VLC and QT but didnt find the quality very good. I havent yet viewed it on TV using DVD player capable of playing DivX.

I am using Powerbook G4 with 256MB RAM. I am storing and processing the video on external 7200 rpm harddrive connected via USB.

I selected one of the clips and created QT movile but still the quality is not that good.

Am I missing anything?

Please suggest something.

Thanks,
Ashish

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 11:17 AM

Me thinks you're compressing too much. 1 hr of video should take a bit more than 380MB, especially at that resolution. Perhaps you should up the quality setting? Also, do NOT save the video to the USB drive, unless it's USB2.0. USB 1.1 is just gonna slow you down.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 11:54 AM

Home Theater Profile, huh? One of the things that's important to realize is that a TV screen -even an HDTV one- isn't actually all that great. You can get away with compressing a lot, and the screen will mask many artifacts. It is possible that the DivX compressor may be doing this. The best way to see if this is the case would be to view it through a TV screen via a DivX-capable DVD player, an EyeHome, or whatever's available. If you can hook up your machine directly to the TV then even the QuickTime Player will do.

Also, what kind of footage are you trying to encode? Is there a lot of movement and action? Does the scene change often, with sudden cuts from one to another? These things can trip up compressors if you're not careful about the settings.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ashishn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 12:12 PM

I am using USB 2.0.

its a home video and movements are there since the shooting is of random activities rather than something like a function or a stage show.

I will try two pass encoding. I believe it will work.

I saw the movie on DVD player and it showed quality problems.(I dont know what it is called technically but I can see squares on the dark backgrounds).

I can't connect my laptop directly to the TV unfortunately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules