Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 3)
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:00 AM

After the update last night, my Boot Camp partition has started showing up on my desktop, even though I set Finder's preference to not show drives on the desktop.

Prior to the update, it didn't do that. I've tried checking and unchecking the option, and rebooting, but it's still there.

Edit: Wait a sec, my Boot Camp partition is now considered a CD/DVD/iPod. When I uncheck and recheck that option, it disappears and reappears.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2007, 02:30 PM

In safari 3, i can't close a window with just 1 tab open. i click the red button or press keyboard short cut command-close and nothing happen. the only way i can close that particular window is to close all open windows by pressing the option-yellow button. I don't know if it is on my system only or it is the new safari 3 feature since i have never installed the safari 3 beta.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 05:16 PM

I have a few gripes, but one real issue so far....

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JSD303 View Post
I'm having the same problem with the dock disappearing briefly when I have minimized an app to the Dock and then click on it to maximize it - as it launches the dock disappears briefly every time. This also has happened when quitting applications, but isn't consistently reproducible. The dock does disappear briefly each time I try to launch a minimized-to-the-dock application. I assumed it was a legacy app or something interfering with the dock, so I tried a clean install on a different hard drive. Same result. So it must be Leopard that is having the problem.

Dual G5 PowerMac 2GB RAM yada yada...
Exactly the same problem I am having! when i minimize, the dock briefly disappears and reappears, i have a fresh copy of leopard installed on my powerbook g4 and it doesn't have that problem... i'm not sure what it can be but i hope apple will fix this, its quite annoying!

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 05:27 PM

ahhhhhhh. this keeps happening when i open up Mail.

Mail wants to use the "login" keychain. Please enter the keychain password.

then i enter the correct password and i send stuff.
why won't it remember!!!!!????

Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 06:06 PM

check "Remember this password in my keychain"

kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 06:40 PM

In the past 24 hours I've made three attempts to install Leopard, but now I'm back in Tiger. For background, I'm using a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac with 4 GB ram. Not the latest Mac, but it should be supported. Over the years, I have installed every Mac OS since the Mac Plus, so this is not the first time I've done this.

My Mac has two internal drives - one for Tiger and one for Leopard. First I cloned the Tiger disk onto the Leopard disk. Then I did a simple upgrade to put Leopard on the Leopard disk. This worked fine, and soon I was using Leopard. But I found out that I couldn't see any of the networked Macs or PCs in my house. After awhile, I realized that the sidebar on my windows was missing the Shared section. It wasn't simply empty - there was no Shared label. Using Connect to Server also showed nothing. After searching the web, I found that others are having the same problem (see MacRumors).

So I installed Leopard a second time, this time using Archive and Install. Same results.

Then I installed Leopard a third time, now using Erase and Install. The Setup Assistant offered to transfer my files from the Tiger disk, to which I agreed. Then the Assistant told me that my User files contained 0.0 KB and it could not transfer them. This was rather alarming, but proved to be false. So I created a new account on the Leopard disk. After starting up in Leopard, I opened a new window and there in the sidebar was a Shared section, right where it should be, and it showed my networked Mac laptop. I clicked on the laptop to see what was in it, and the entire Shared section of the sidebar vanished. Right in front of my eyes. So I'm right back where I was.

Given my problems with Leopard, I've decided to stay with Tiger until 10.5.1 comes out. But if anyone has solved a similar problem, I would like to hear how they did it.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 07:17 PM

Earlier I was having an oddity on my MB (2.16/1GB). When I moused over the Bookmark icon for a few seconds in Safari, it disappeared. It stayed gone until I moved it down into the main window. I could see the tabs darken as I hovered over them with my ghostly cursor. It stopped doing it a little earlier. Strange!

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2007, 07:56 PM

never mind. just discovered one of the old files from input manager caused.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 08:22 PM

My cursor sometimes stays hidden after exiting Front Row 2. But then again it occasionally did the same with Front Row 1 on Tiger.

MACGIRL34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 10:28 PM

Anyone having issues with Safari and Firefox crashing after Leopard install? Mine stays on for a couple minutes and than crashes. Could it be java related? Wondered if there was something on my original restore discs that I need to install...

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 10:53 PM

I'm a little surprised that no one here has had any sleep problems. Just have a look at the Apple forums: Apple - Support - Discussions - Search Discussions

My G5 iMac used to have no problems going to sleep under Tiger. Now, no matter what I do with any settings, my iMac won't go to sleep on its own. I hope a fix is on the way.

ender
Oct 28, 2007, 11:24 PM

I've seen a few posts elsewhere of FrontRow not displaying video on TVs. Sound, navigation, photos all work, but when playing a movie the video doesn't display on the TV. Here's one forum where it's reported:

24 Hours of Leopard: Front Row - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Can anyone either confirm they are experiencing the same problem or (hopefully!) refute the claims and let us know if it works. I was about to spring for a mini to hook up to my plasma when I read the posts, so the purchase is on hold until I can get confirmation. Thanks!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 01:59 AM

I've had my first hard lockup where I had to give it a three finger salute to get it to respond; working in the MS Remote Desktop Connection beta client, something locked up (I was running a Time Machine backup to an AFP drive) and had a bunch of other things open. Force quitting gave me a spinning beachball which spread to trying to open a Terminal session to force quit the misbehaving application. Soon after, the Finder went under and I had to restart the machine.

I'd have to say this is probably the first time since I bought my laptop that I've had to force-reboot the entire machine. Looking forward to 10.5.1 already...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

StewBC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
quite a shocking bug:

wonder if Macintosh.com is getting tons of hits.. or just me?
I had the same thing more or less. After the upgrade, it looked like my machine had the same name, but when I logged into perforce, it said my workspace wasn`t valid. My machine identified itself as Macintosh.local when I typed hostname in terminal (which is not what it is called).

Other bugs or issues I have had: An external drive (eSATA) showing up twice in the sidebar in finder. Time machine just hanging on the initial backup. The sidebar searches not returning results for my external eSATA drive that`s been put to sleep. Other than that, it all seems okay.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 03:49 AM

Whoa. I had similar today but noticed things slowing to a halt and managed to convince the machine to restart. I was working in Word most of the day, did a small amount on remote desktop, had entourage resync with my exchange mail for the leopard install, and browsed the web - all as Tiger would happily have handled ... and then top listed the highest counts for pageouts that I've ever seen and said I had 10MB free RAM out of 1.25GB.

The restart fixed everything, but it felt like working on an aged windows install for a while there. I know it's not a surprise, I remember finding Jaguar much less reliable than 10.1.5 until about 10.2.6, so we'll see how things pan out .

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 06:14 AM

I'm currently amusing myself trying to do any meaningful search in the help window: Finder > Open Help > type "spotlight" in to the search window > watch it searching for hours and not finding anything at all.

Yes I am very easily amused.

Because I wanted to have a really "clean" new system, I've waited with installing FontAgent Pro for the moment; opening FontBook with a few thousand fonts installed (not activated, mind you) makes for a zen-like experience in patience.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 PM

I can not search an RSS feed. I have the Columbus area Craigslist electronics and computer ads set as RSS. When I type something in the search field on the right of Safari, it used to display the results as I typed. It no longer does that, and if I type in something and hit enter, the page doesn't change at all. No results. It's just broken.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Oct 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarity)
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
I'm currently amusing myself trying to do any meaningful search in the help window: Finder > Open Help > type "spotlight" in to the search window > watch it searching for hours and not finding anything at all.
Hmmm?

Search is completed by the time I'm done typing.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 12:26 PM

For whatever reason, I can't open up any applications at all. Whenever I restart my computer, it start working again... but after some random point in time I can't launch anything. Whenever I try, I usually get some error message involving "blah blah this app can't be launched" along with error code "-10810".

Is there any way to stop this from happening? It's really annoying me.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
I can not search an RSS feed. I have the Columbus area Craigslist electronics and computer ads set as RSS. When I type something in the search field on the right of Safari, it used to display the results as I typed. It no longer does that, and if I type in something and hit enter, the page doesn't change at all. No results. It's just broken.
Okay I swear every time I type a bug on here, it's fixed or changes. I can now search the RSS feed, but it's not working correctly. I totally SEE an ad for a Nokia phone on the Craigslist RSS feed, and I type in Nokia and I get "no results found."
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 01:23 PM

Found a few more weird ones in X11. Starting to become very annoying ...

--I have 2 spaces (ugh) open
--when X11.app is in one space and everything else is in the other space, I alt tab from xterm into another window and it's fine but, when I go back, I cannot type anymore. It types some things like a meta-character ^A ^M.
--Annoying!

EDIT: having trouble reproducing this one consistently, BUT I have one I can reproduce:

--xterm under quartz-wm title bar can go underneath the menubar in X11 (shouldn't be able to). The transparency of the menu bar still only "sees" the background and not the title bar. The bug is one or both of these -- I don't think the menubar should be disappearing.
( Last edited by ~bash $; Oct 29, 2007 at 01:49 PM. )

Kate
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 02:34 PM

Can somebody check this:

Open DiskUtility, select check startupdisk. I get repeated system freezes when doing so after some tens of seconds, while DiskUtility starts to check the drive.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Can somebody check this:

Open DiskUtility, select check startupdisk. I get repeated system freezes when doing so after some tens of seconds, while DiskUtility starts to check the drive.
Hey, I wasn't able to find that option. What exactly do you mean 'check startupdisk'? Do you mean 'verify'?

Kate
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 02:56 PM

Yup .. didn't remember the wording on that button...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 03:59 PM

That's normal. I don't know the exact mechanics of it but I believe system is essentially unmounting the boot drive to verify it. So, anything that requires disk access is put on hold, hence the "freezes".

Tiger had this ability too. You didn't used to be able to verify the boot volume.
Vandelay Industries

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 04:40 PM

If you install CHUD Tools 4.5 from the Leopard installation DVD (the version that,
according to Apple should run on Leopard) it vanishes into thin air.

It does not show up in the hardware pane in system preferences.

If you pull down under the CPU menu bar item and the bottom option, that of
processor pallette it does not appear either.

If you search for CHUD in spotlight the install folder appears but all that is
inside it is the CHUD deinstaller and the other accessory items.

"The mysterious case of the vanishing chud."

AdamDZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 07:27 PM

Too many bugs and problems to even start, mainly GUI and USB. I'd have to do a clean install and try again but I don't have the time for that right now. I went back to 10.4 after two days. And did anyone miss the fact that 10.5 is UGLY??? I mean the new folders, the dark gray color, stupid frames around thumbs. Thanks for nightly disk image scripts I've gone back to Friday's backup in 15 minutes It looks like Apple is trying to catch up with MS with you-cant-turn-me-off-sucker annoyances too.

But to add to the thread and not simply trolling and bitching, here are the most annoying bugs I found.

1) Folders don't remember their view settings. Example: say I have a folder /Pictures/Vacations/2005/Florida full of images. If I open /Pictures/Vacations/2005/ it's in list view, then go to /Florida and change it to thumbnails. Now if I go back everything will also be large icons /Pictures/Vacations/2005/ and /Pictures/Vacations/. This is very annoying to me. Under 10.4 if I go back to the previous folder it would still be in list view.

2) Mounted disk images don't show up in the side bar.

3) WTF with the "Shared Folder" title bar in every folder that happens to be on a shared volume? I want to get rid of that.

4) Frequent USB mouse and kb lockups. USB sometimes stops working after reboots.

5) Text display in Console is often garbled, can't select individual lines for copy, have to do "Select All"

6) Photoshop stopped working after a day: "Couldn't initialize Photoshop because the file is locked". "The file"?? What file?? I did chflags -R nouchg on the entire /Applications, /Library and my home dir and P. still wouldn't start. That did it, rebooted and restored last 10.4 image.

And yeah, it's ugly, looks like some early version of some kind of small time Linux distro

A.

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 09:04 PM

I can't get rooted mode to work in X11. I can't get a lot of things to work in X11 for that matter, but right now rooted is the one I'm focusing on. Can anyone else confirm this?

Black_Rain
Oct 29, 2007, 09:36 PM

I have a few small bugs:

When I first went to install, when it asks for which drive to load the new OS on, nothing showed up, it did not recognize my internal HDD for some reason. I didn't do anything except for navigate to 'System Profiler' directly from the Leopard install menu, and it showed my drive as fine, so I exited 'System Profiler' and it immediately found my HDD... install went flawless from there on.

Also the first thing I noticed was my toolbar was transparent, and it looked pretty nice. Now that I've been playing around with Leopard for about an hour or so, the menubar is now solid. I've messed around w/ Spaces, Timemachine, all the new features, so something must have triggered my menubar to become solid again.

Also my bookmarks in safari seem to be duplicated. Once in my folders inside of my bookmarks bar (where they should be), and another copy of them outside of the drop-down on my bookmarks bar..

I think that is all for now...
( Last edited by Black_Rain; Oct 29, 2007 at 11:30 PM. )
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 10:50 PM

I just finished reverting back to Tiger (SuperDuper to the rescue ). There were too many showstopper defects for me. Lightroom essentially ceased to function in any useful form and I experienced continual problems with airport disks. I'll reinstall Leopard once this stuff gets sorted out.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Black_Rain
Oct 29, 2007, 11:31 PM

and why oh WHY can I not move my icons around in my dock...I want to change the order, and I cannot move them!!

is this me, or is everyone experiencing this problem?

Black_Rain
Oct 30, 2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain View Post
and why oh WHY can I not move my icons around in my dock...I want to change the order, and I cannot move them!!

is this me, or is everyone experiencing this problem?

nevermind...i take this back... u just have to float the icon a little lower in the dock...over the "floor" of the dock...

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 12:22 AM

Setup isn't seeing my hard drive on my PowerBook G4 1.5GHz laptop. Rebooted a couple times and still nothing. Disk Utility during setup shows the drive's there.

Black_Rain
Oct 30, 2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by JHromadka View Post
Setup isn't seeing my hard drive on my PowerBook G4 1.5GHz laptop. Rebooted a couple times and still nothing. Disk Utility during setup shows the drive's there.
read a few posts above this one... i had the same problem... it was solved by going into system profiler under the utilities menu in the installation.. after it did its thing...leopard recognized it right away

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 01:12 AM

1) Low-res, pixellated previews in Cover Flow. Is there any way to rebuild the preview icons so they're clear?

2) Dock folders don't retain their custom icons; instead they display the icons of files within the folder. WTF?

3) "Resume playing" feature is missing from Front Row

4) Lots of beach ball action. They should've gotten rid of the beach ball by now.

5) Background windows are lighter than foreground windows. That's backwards. I keep thinking that the background window is the active window. Again Apple, WTF?

Sentient
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 01:29 AM

A bug with Safari bookmark menu.
When my cursor hovers over a folder in my bookmark list window containing an other set of bookmarks, the window of that folder opens just over the previous level of bookmarks totally covering them. That window sticks open even if I move my cursor out of that submenu window area. I can move my cursor all over my screen that window still stays open blocking my access to all the bookmarks of the fist level. Only if I move my cursor to the top of that window does it trigger it to close.

In Tiger with Safari 3.0.3 beta, the bookmark menu behaves normally opening the submenu aside the main menu level and the windows would close normally when the cursor moves out of the window area.

In Tiger, the folder submenu opens aside de main menu leaving access to all the other bookmarks:

In Leopard the same submenu open and stick open over the main menu level hiding and preventing access to that menu. Hovering your mouse out of the area doesn't trigger the window to disappear, only if you move your cursor to the top of that window does it then close.

So it makes it impossible to scroll down the first level menu list cause at the moment a folder's list opens, it blocks access to all the rest of the bookmarks. Not good at all.

This is on a 2 x 2GHz Power PC G5.

And I can't bear, among other things, the fact that they crippled the dock by replacing the very effective one click hierarchical level folder navigation by that useless Stacks.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Hmmm?

Search is completed by the time I'm done typing.
Yee-e-es... but try to open the Help window and type "Spotlight" there:

Kate
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 05:06 AM

... ok I let my MacPro go into deep sleep over night and this morning it failed to completely wake up. Display was frozen and did not wake up, keyboard was lost and the only thing working with stutter was the mouse. KB and mouse booth Apple BT devices.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
Yee-e-es... but try to open the Help window and type "Spotlight" there:
OK, there was a perceivable delay of a third of a second.

hmeerlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 10:23 AM

Well, I have to say I am far from happy with 10.5. Besides not being able to backup to a network drive (which seems pretty normal to me in a business situation), now my dock background disappears from time to time and will not come back (only restart makes it appear again). And now my downloads stack in the dock behaves like a ghost. You can see that there are items in it, only the text is not there, and the icon als not. Anyone seen this as well? I did an upgrade from tiger.

skew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 10:40 AM

Here's one. 10.5 went to sleep. Wakes up - nothing on the desktop, no mounted disks nothing , otherwise the system seems fine. Went to take a screenshot and the png also failed to show up although you can navigate to it in the finder.

Don't know how to upload the image to this post.

On balance I've chosen not to migrate my studio until 10.5.1 at least. Stacks really blow. Menu bar yadda yadda...

I'm looking forward to screen sharing a great deal but will wait just a little while longer apart from on the test mac ( new 20" iMac, erase and installed, no third party apps of any kind )
--wake up--

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 11:58 AM

I'm sincerely hoping that all of our bugs are obsoleted by a nice 10.5.1 soon.

Originally Posted by Kate View Post
... ok I let my MacPro go into deep sleep over night and this morning it failed to completely wake up. Display was frozen and did not wake up, keyboard was lost and the only thing working with stutter was the mouse. KB and mouse booth Apple BT devices.
I am having BT problems with my old apple bt kbd and mighty mouse as well. Sometimes they'll continue to stay "mounted," if you will, but they will be unresponsive. That is, they won't say "disconnected" but certainly won't work. Both mouse and kbd. I have to turn off the devices and turn them back on for them to work.

I just found a funny X11 bug that I suspect is related to some of the others I've posted here. I had X11 opening at startup in my apps opening on login. When X11 is NOT in the dock, on startup, 2 X11 icons open in the dock, and one bounces in cessantly for several minutes before finally stopping at some point. heh.

The great thing about this that's different is that now both have the little blue light underneath them, where only one (the non-dock process) did before.

If none of this made sense to you, then that makes two of us ... sorry.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by hmeerlo View Post
Well, I have to say I am far from happy with 10.5. Besides not being able to backup to a network drive (which seems pretty normal to me in a business situation), now my dock background disappears from time to time and will not come back (only restart makes it appear again). And now my downloads stack in the dock behaves like a ghost. You can see that there are items in it, only the text is not there, and the icon als not. Anyone seen this as well? I did an upgrade from tiger.

that dock looks a lot better than the new dock; wish apple gave us some options, to customize (ie menubar transparency), dock appearance...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
And I can't bear, among other things, the fact that they crippled the dock by replacing the very effective one click hierarchical level folder navigation by that useless Stacks.
Welcome to the club, friend.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
OK, there was a perceivable delay of a third of a second.
Interesting... it suddenly started to work here as well. When I posted, I had watched the searching indicator for at least half an hour.

So now all is well.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 05:05 PM

You sure indexing was done? I also noticed my spotlight working better now (and my system said indexing was done but the process was pegging the CPU) now it seems faster overall too. Loving Leopard (besides stacks)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 06:10 PM

Some visual bugs I found in Time Machine with Address Book.

If you scroll all the way back to the start of your Time Machine backups. . .

. . . and click the button to change the size of Address Book.
This does the same thing if you go from big to small.

If you are in the start of your Address Book backups. . .

. . . and click the button to change the size of Address Book, all of the previous ones get stretched.

Yes, I was bored and playing in Time Machine since it's neat that it resizes windows in Time Machine.

mishakim
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 07:49 PM

My idisk has been attempting to sync ever since Leopard was installed. It had been set, under Tiger, to manually sync. Now, it is set to auto sync, never finishes, and won't stop. I tried changing it to manual, and I tried turning off syncing, but it's still spinning away.

The .mac homepage says there are issues with sync, but not with idisk. Could be sync includes idisk sync, but it would be nice if Apple said so.

Anyone else seeing idisk sync issues? I don't know if its a leopard problem, a server problem, or both.

ender
Oct 30, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Some visual bugs I found in Time Machine with Address Book....

. . . and click the button to change the size of Address Book, all of the previous ones get stretched.
The stretching you are seeing is the result of the gravitational pull of the black hole Apple is using to bend time and space to make Time Machine work!

Sorry...couldn't resist...

Forum Links
Forum Rules