Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 62)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 02:25 PM

Yeah, you'll watch it anyway.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yeah, you'll watch it anyway.
You think so. It won't be the first time I've lost interest in a show because of unreasonably long breaks between seasons. I used to watch the Sapranos religiously, but then an 11 month break between seasons put an end to my interest in that show. I think I watched two episodes of the second to last season and I watched none of the final. Once I grow bored of waiting, that's the end of that.
Nemo me impune lacesset

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

April?! Does Moore know how much this is pissing off fans? Does he do this for giggles?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by pinenuts View Post
April?! Does Moore know how much this is pissing off fans? Does he do this for giggles?
Do you think Moore is in charge of Sci-Fi's scheduling?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2007, 03:25 PM

I read that LAtimes story last night, but didn't link it here. It seems vague on sources, considering how many other sites are trying to find out those answers. From the story, they attribute some quotes to Moore, but they don't actually say they interviewed him. Not even over the phone.

Also, I'd developed the impression that Season 4 would start in February. I seem to recall they'd said "early 2008" and SciFi has since ruled out January. April is late for S4, or even for the S3 DVD release, which people are also hunting for info on.

I'd like to see confirmation from some other sources before buying this. Preferably with some attribution, so we know they aren't just rehashing someone else's rumors.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2007, 03:40 PM

Strike my last. It looks like we have another source, though it mentions (and links to) the LAtimes story. But it refers to it's own sources too. Looks like Season 4 in April, and Season 3 DVDs in April as well.

It will need to be worth the wait.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 04:01 PM

They just want to make sure that we will all have to buy the Season 3 DVDs so that we can remember what the f*ck happened.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 01:01 AM

The great value of already having bought them on iTunes...
Maybe Season 4 is delayed so Universal will get their act together and work out a new deal with Apple so the show ends back up on iTunes. That's what I need anyway, I have no other legal way to get ahold of it.

It's a good thing they're already green lighted for the season, and their already finishing everything up. I can't imagine they would have a shot at another season this being the case. Poor ratings would be the second nail in their coffin, the first being fan riots.

This is going to be bizarre. April-June, another unnecessary break, and October - December. That's my guess anyway. I wonder if Katie Sackoff being on Bionic woman has anything to do with this?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

reader50
Administrator
Oct 28, 2007, 08:01 PM

We have official confirmation on the April start date. The source is a SciFi News article, mainly on Moore directing an ep in the 2nd half. But at the end of the blurb ...
Originally Posted by SciFi News
Battlestar Galactica returns with a two-hour prequel film, Battlestar Galactica: Razor, on Nov. 24 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. The fourth season kicks off in early April 2008.
Reportedly, no final decision has been made on if S4 completes in 2008 or gets split across 2008 and 2009. It now looks possible that the split (if it happens) may not be money-related, but instead caused by the Writers Strike scheduled for November 1. From blurbs here and there, Moore has finished up the writing on Ep#13. With November 1 fast approaching, they probably can't finish writing Ep#14, much less the remaining 6 eps in the season.

It's not clear if the Writers Guild will actually strike, there could be last-minute negotiations. It's also not clear if Moore himself could continue writing as the Executive Producer.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 5, 2007, 03:12 PM

In case anyone missed it, the Razor screener has been leaked to the usual places. It would be best if no pictures were posted from it until after it airs officially, and remember to use the SPOILER tag as needed until then.

Gary Hutzel, the special effects supervisor, has indicated a lot of things got cut for time from the airing version. The DVD version of Razor will be longer, and have a slightly different feel, with all the content restored. The flashbacks we are seeing comprise 14 minutes removed from the airing version. Apparently a fair amount of other material got edited for time reasons too.

For reference, a screener is a DVD copy provided early to TV reviewers. It should be identical, or nearly so, to the broadcast version.
( Last edited by reader50; Nov 6, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typos, added source link)

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The flashbacks we are seeing comprise 14 minutes removed from the airing version.
Flashback number 5 is in the leaked version.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2007, 08:42 PM

That's all I'll say on the subject.
Nemo me impune lacesset

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 03:38 AM

Razor was pretty decent.

So what is the name of that hot actress that never smiled, the XO of Adama Jr?

Yum yum!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 6, 2007, 06:38 AM

Kendra Shaw, played by Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen (Australian actress)

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post

You're not wrong!!!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 02:49 PM

...It's not clear if the Writers Guild will actually strike, there could be last-minute negotiations. It's also not clear if Moore himself could continue writing as the Executive Producer.
It appears he could, but he won't. Here's an add taken out by WGA by show runners who won't be crossing the picket line.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post

( Last edited by Stogieman; Nov 9, 2007 at 12:41 AM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 05:29 PM

Here is something that has bothered me for awhile - unrelated to Razor. They got a map to Earth at the end of Home part 2. In their timeline, this happened ~2 years ago. Assuming someone photographed the map while they were inside, they know parts of Earth's sky. Even if they didn't think to photograph it, they have the constellation patterns from their old flags.

So why hasn't someone run those patterns through a computer? Admittedly, the problem would be immense. Calculate the sky pattern from various locations throughout the galaxy, compensating for 2000 and 4000 years into the past. You'd have to backtrack current star locations and movements, and try successive locations to see if they get all of the expected patterns.

As big as the problem is, it's fully parallel-compatible, and the Cylons don't seem to have anything else urgent to keep their computers busy with. Well, their resources are tied up with something else, but we don't know what that is. Caprica Six mentioned they were tied up elsewhere, and Cavil said they'd pulled out of the 12 Colonies to pursue greener pastures.

Given the key map info, they should have been able to figure Earth's position before now. Even the fleet might have; just let their comps work on it in their spare time. Skip the signposts left around the galaxy and plot a course.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:48 PM

During the strike, Ron Moore is writing a blog, using iWeb.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

Thanks, bookmarked. I'd been wondering about the lack of updates on his SciFi blog since the strike started.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2007, 02:48 PM

I just clicked the blog link, and I have to say Ron Moore needs to ditch that Obi wan Kenobi space-mullet he's sportin'.
Nemo me impune lacesset

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 08:13 PM

I think he'll always have the beard because he has a bit of George Lucas chin.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by RDM personal blog
Production wrapped on episode 413 late last night, and there’s no certain date to resume shooting. No more scripts exist. My office staff has been laid off. My cast has been suspended, without pay.
You can read the rest of his post here. So that's the official word, 13 scripts written, 13 shot, 7 remaining to be written after the strike ends.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 06:29 PM

why do autoworker strikes last two days and people assume writer strikes are going to last 6 months at least..... neither side shows any sign of backing down whatsoever?
( Last edited by mrtew; Nov 18, 2007 at 08:05 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 08:02 PM

So why hasn't someone run those patterns through a computer? Admittedly, the problem would be immense. Calculate the sky pattern from various locations throughout the galaxy, compensating for 2000 and 4000 years into the past. You'd have to backtrack current star locations and movements, and try successive locations to see if they get all of the expected patterns.
How are they supposed to know the sky patterns thought the galaxy? We only know the star patterns for a small sphere of visible stars around the earth in our galaxy.... most of the stars in the milkyway are not visible at all to us. Play with the free program Celestia for a while and you can realize both how much we do know about the stars in our galaxy and how little we know. Admittedly, the Cylons do probably know a lot more about the galaxy than we do since they've been out on spaceships with jump technology for 40 years, but still, the Galaxy is BIG. They should definitely send jumping raiders out on photo runs as far as they can to map the stars as fast as they can though.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2007, 08:56 PM

I'm under the impression that we've located and given catalog numbers to a good many of the stars in the Milky Way today. But I've had a hard time finding a reference to back that up. We can see most of the galaxy from our position, with the notable exception of the portion behind the Hub. The trickier part is placing their distances exactly, which we haven't made much headway on.

The Colonies are in a different position. The first Cylon War started ~50 years ago. At that time, the Colonies were already 50-100 years ahead of us. Lots of time for astronomy, and lots of high-tech computers before the 1st war started. By all rights, they should have long since built a solid star DB for most of the galaxy, with exact positions.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 10:40 PM

We've only counted about a million of the estimated 400 billion stars in the galaxy or 1/400,000th of them and the main reason is because we can't see most of them because they are behind eachother and giant gas and dust clouds and black holes etc, not because our computers aren't advanced enough. You'd have to jump to millions of points in the galaxy and take pictures to get a decent star map going and at the rate they travel on battlestar that would take forever.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 11:42 PM

7 remaining to be written after the strike ends.
But they don't need those until mid 2009 right?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 25, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by RDM personal blog
Production wrapped on episode 413 late last night, and there’s no certain date to resume shooting. No more scripts exist. My office staff has been laid off. My cast has been suspended, without pay.
You can read the rest of his post here. So that's the official word, 13 scripts written, 13 produced, 7 remaining to be written after the strike ends.
Correction. "413" is a production number. Since Razor is part of the S4 production, with the numbers 401 and 402, the "real" Season 4 runs from 403 - 422.

Correcting for Razor, production has wrapped for Eps 1-11, with 9 eps (12-20) remaining to be written. RDM has said 413 is the midseason cliffhanger, so if the writer's strike runs for a long time, SciFi could go with the 2-year plan and air the first half of the season in 2008.

Razor has aired, so discussion / shots are all OK now.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 10:02 PM

Razor has aired, so discussion / shots are all OK now.
Huh??? No way. I can't believe I missed it. When does it air in Canada? Was it any good?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 25, 2007, 10:16 PM

It aired in Canada on Nov 24, same as for the US. I thought it was a good episode.

Chronologically, it appears to fit late in Season 2. We could tell for sure if Sharon is still pregnant, which she should be. But the shot Sharon appears in didn't show enough.

2x17 The Captain's Hand
....... Razor
2x18 Downloaded

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2007, 11:54 PM

It aired in Canada on Nov 24, same as for the US. ....
Wow, I can't believe nobody said anything about it coming on. I'm going to stop trusting this thread and start getting TVGuide again. Space TV really needs to promote their crap on other stations more too.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 12:07 AM

Okay... Razor. Let's have at it.

8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 12:17 AM

I was kind of annoyed by the bumpers before some of the commercials when the dramatic narrator-voice would go, "It's just been revealed -- Admiral Cain and Gina Inviere were lovers!" Like...duh. I just saw it. Was there some sort of internet guessing-game promo that I missed?

Related to what SirCastor wrote, I've never been convinced by these flashback sort of movies that end up awkwardly inserted in the storyline. It sort of reminded me of Babylon 5: Thirdspace, which, when analyzed, ends up occurring at some point between two innocuous scenes in the middle of a fourth season B5 episode. It's tough to be enthusiastic about the conceit that there was some major, life-changing event for our characters that for some reason just wasn't mentioned before. However, I'm hoping that what the hybrid said at the end about Starbuck will be somehow worked into Season 4 after Starbuck's mysterious return.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 01:10 AM

Can anyone explain how the "hybrid" from Razor relates to the "hybrid" Baltar meets on the base star? Are they analagous? Or am I misremembering what they called that thing on the base star? If they're analagous, how are the events in Razor anything we haven't seen before?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 02:23 AM

I purposely didn't watch razor on the air the other day as it didn't air in HD so I rather wait for the DVD in a week.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
"It's just been revealed -- Admiral Cain and Gina Inviere were lovers!" Like...duh. I just saw it. Was there some sort of internet guessing-game promo that I missed?
I had a friend over to watch it and we laughed our asses off when that little quip aired. We hadn't heard anything about watching to catch a reveal or anything so that caught us totally off guard.

Having it be sponsored by Quiznos made it all the more hilarious and bewildering.

"This lesbian moment has been brought to buy by Quiznos. Mmm... toasty!"
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 08:07 AM

I thought it was a rather good ep. Gave a lot of backstory. Didn't mess too much with what we already knew. As someone who has been lacking the BSG love in his life lately this was a nice breath of fresh air.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 08:20 AM

I think the hybrid in Razor was the first hybrid, the one that Adama saw being created -- no?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I think the hybrid in Razor was the first hybrid, the one that Adama saw being created -- no?
Yes, the hybrid in Razor is the first hybrid created. Sharon (Agathon) says though that in terms of development it was a dead end. They stopped working on that and went a different direction, though apparently some of the technology continued on to the basestar's hybrid.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
"This Cylon lesbian moment has been brought to buy by Quiznos. Mmm... Toaster!"
Fixed™
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Can anyone explain how the "hybrid" from Razor relates to the "hybrid" Baltar meets on the base star? Are they analagous? Or am I misremembering what they called that thing on the base star? If they're analagous, how are the events in Razor anything we haven't seen before?
They haven't shown us enough to answer the question. My analysis is that there are two possibilities:

1) The first Hybrid was a dead end. Crazy god-complex maybe, didn't want to take orders. They completed the development to create a standard Hybrid model, which we later saw on Baltar's Baseship. All Hybrids in current service will be clones of this model.

2) The Hybrid development was abandoned before a standard model could be reached. The stable prototypes were pressed into service. Every capital ship will have a different Hybrid. This answer places an upper limit on how many capital ships the Cylons can build, before they run out of Hybrid prototypes.

We could answer if we'd seen the Hybrid on the Sick Baseship. Baltar visited the Hybrid's chamber on that ship, but we didn't get to see if that Hybrid was identical to the regular female model.

My guess is theory #1. That lets them build unlimited capital ships, and the show gets to reuse the familiar actress.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Originally Posted by Lateralus
"This Cylon lesbian moment has been brought to buy by Quiznos. Mmm... Toaster!"
Fixed™

now THAT'S funny!

Anyone know if they'll show Razor again.... doesn't really sound like it's worth buying a HD player for but I feel like maybe I should see it to know what's going on with Battlestar. (Still mad that we live in such a stupid in-between time when people have HDTVs and shows are filmed in HD but they still aren't show in HD for some reason. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2007, 09:18 PM

Razor is not being released in HD-DVD ... the retail disk is a regular DVD. For awhile Amazon was listing an HD-DVD version, then they removed the listing. Universal claims they had no plans to release a separate HD version.

It might turn up in the HD-DVD set of Season 4 ... or even in the HD-DVD set for Season 2, where it belongs chronologically.

andi*pandi
Nov 27, 2007, 12:39 AM

dammit. dvr failure. missed it!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
dammit. dvr failure. missed it!
If only we could invent some way to put TV content onto computers and then share it to people around the world.

If only.

andi*pandi
Nov 27, 2007, 11:16 AM

You're a dreamer, man. A dreamer, with those crazy ideas and wacky dreams.

also, check todays cartoon:

Shortpacked! -- Webcomics about action figure collecting by David Willis

TheJesus2
Baninated
Nov 27, 2007, 03:39 PM

We must wait until April?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 03:23 PM

Okay guys,
I'm watch BSG with my wife. I'm all caught up, but she's going through it for the first time. We just finished Resurrection Ship pt2, and I'm wondering if I should stick Razor in where it belongs, or wait until we're done with the 3rd season?
What do you guys think
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 04:08 PM

I'd wait because of the Kara reveal by the hybrid at the end.

The proper place for insertion would be after "The Captain's Hand", btw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules