Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How can I shortcircuit my iPhone? (I'm serious.)

How can I shortcircuit my iPhone? (I'm serious.)
daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 02:53 PM

I need my iPhone to never turn on again, without opening it up though... any ideas?
I don't want it to look damaged though... (so no i can't smash it with a hammer)

Please don't ask why

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 03:00 PM

Fraud is bad karma.

Rare earth magnet maybe?

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Fraud is bad karma.

Rare earth magnet maybe?
No, not fraud at all, actually very unlucky case of unfortunate circumstances.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 04:03 PM

Why don't you wipe it and donate the phone to someone who wants one instead of destroying it? Also, c'mon tell the story we won't tell

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2008, 04:07 PM

Clearly he wants to return it as defective.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 04:59 PM

Cover the screen with a cloth and hit it with a hammer. There won't be any physical damage and you can return it - I promise.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2008, 06:07 PM

No matter what your intention, what you're asking for help with is unethical at the very least, and probably fraud too. No help here. Seriously.

If you want help getting a real situation handled, explain what that situation is and we can help. Those "unfortunate circumstances" may just be you're own bad luck and clumsiness-which Apple is not in any way responsible for. In which case, sorry. If it's not that, fill us in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2008, 06:08 PM

The assumptions of fraud are understandable, but they are assumptions.

If you don't wish to offer advice because you think it's fraud, don't offer suggestions.

dasilvetz has been a member since 2002, so it's a little unusual and unlikely that he would turn fraudster after all this time. I will not leap to that conclusion so quickly.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2008, 06:22 PM

Perhaps I should have said "sounds like" fraud. It sure sounds unethical, particularly with the "don't ask why" bit. Again, what's the issue?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 06:31 PM

Maybe he has an 8 GB model, and he wants a 16 GB model, but he can't justify it to the wife? :-)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 06:47 PM

Maybe its not his iPhone, but a sworn enemie's iPhone.

Or a really mean prank?

Or his he's trying to teach his kid a lesson?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

If you don't wish to offer advice because you think it's fraud, don't offer suggestions.

dasilvetz has been a member since 2002, so it's a little unusual and unlikely that he would turn fraudster after all this time. I will not leap to that conclusion so quickly.
Just being a member of MacNN automatically makes it impossible for you to be fraudulent? How does that work?

It definitely sounds like fraud to me. I know I can't think of any legitimate reason why you'd want to destroy an iPhone while making it look simply defective.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2008, 11:03 PM

I generally think that members who have been around for ages and ages are not the folks who join, make one post and commit bad deeds. Generally, if you've racked up near 300 posts, you're not scamming, spamming, or so on, because you wouldn't have lasted so long if you were.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 11:05 PM

daSilVetZ, just tell us why. There some easy suggestions that you'll get if you can come up with a reason that is believable enough

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 11:36 PM

Fraud... I like it!

Here is how u do it:

Take a wire, jam it in the port in the bottom, get another and do the same, then connect the two ends to a 9-volt and be carefull
( Last edited by lisa_is_not_mac; Mar 7, 2008 at 09:02 AM. )

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 12:15 AM

Yeah, drop it in water.

Everyone knows that cell phone manufacturers won't ever suspect water damage, because I mean, who drops their cell phone in water and then claims it just stopped working? I guess there's no use for those water exposure indicator dots hidden inside the body after all. They're just for fun.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:04 AM

Indicator dots, yea right, they dint want to waist any money on that @#$%

Apple isn't a cell phone company

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by lisa_is_not_mac View Post
Indicator dots, yea right, they dint want to waist any money on that @#$%

Apple isn't a cell phone company
Actually you're right, they didn't waste any money on the indicator stickers, as can be seen in this dissection:
Welcome to AnandTech.com [ Article: Apple's iPhone Dissected: We did it, so you don't have to]

But water damage is something that is VERY easy to determine. I worked in the cell phone industry for about 5 years and it was the first thing we looked for when someone brought their "malfunctioning" phone back.

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 12:19 PM

Fair enough, here is the explanation., and just to make this clear to everyone- this has absolutely nothing to do with fraud relating to Apple- I am too much of an Apple fan to attempt anything of the sort- I am reminded of a saying "Assuming makes an ass out of you"

Furthermore, I was unaware that I had to explain myself to anyone- I asked an informational question, not an opinion- this is the reason why I have been somewhat of a ghost on these boards for the past few years, immediate jumping down the throat, if you don't have anything to say in regards to my post, then why bother posting at all? Just keep your thoughts to yourself.. If I wanted to ask an opinion I would have titled my post "How can I shortcircuit my iPhone, and please make wild assumptions while you're at it".

I let my friend borrow my iPhone in exchange for his cell phone for the weekend- he is well off but he nevertheless wanted the phone to show his wife and convince her that it would be a great thing to buy- plus I like the guy, he's a good friend (or so I thought), and I've literally been touting the iPhone to him ever since I bought mine, back in August '07.
I'm not sure what he did with my iPhone, but I do know that when he gave it back to me on Monday I noticed that my battery seemed to drain much quicker throughout the day to the point that after a few hours it was dead. I called him, and asked him what the hell he had done to it, he claimed nothing. As the week has progressed, my battery has lasted an average of 1 hour. I told him I wanted him to replace it for me, but he said (yesterday) that it was always like that and even over the weekend it was acting strange, which i KNOW is untrue. I would've brought it to the Apple store if it weren't for the fact that I dropped my iPhone a few months back and there's a nasty dent in the back- I was afraid that they would turn me away blaming it on the fall. So instead I decided to microwave the iPhone for 2 seconds (not thanks to your suggestions)- why? because last night I went to my friends house and dropped the iPhone on his couch and told him he could get me a new one now that it was not even turning on. After much convincing, (as I mentioned he is very well off), we went together to the Apple store and I left with a brand new iphone that he bought for me. I also ended up using my $100 store credit towards the iPhone that I had never gotten around to use as part of the bargain I made with him.

Thanks, you will not be missed.

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2008, 12:23 PM

Sounds like fraud to me -- perpetrated against someone you claim is a friend. You drop your iPhone, 6 months later it has issues (which you conveniently blame on your friend), then you deliberately sabotage it to coerce him into replacing it.

You're not any friend I'd want to have. And neither is he, if he was lying about his involvement in the battery problem.

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Sounds like fraud to me -- perpetrated against someone you claim is a friend. You drop your iPhone, 6 months later it has issues (which you conveniently blame on your friend), then you deliberately sabotage it to coerce him into replacing it.

You're not any friend I'd want to have. And neither is he, if he was lying about his involvement in the battery problem.
Why is it that you people are so cynical. Do you not know what it's liek to be on the unfortunate end of things? my iPhone was working perfectly fine before thie weekend thank you very much. You were not around, you have NO idea. Not only that, but you are right, this person is not the FRIEND i thought, i never said it was a close friend- I tried the nice way, I tried the reasonable way- my two options were either to become violent or to fight back using the same tactics- I chose the latter.

And in the end apple won twice, so again, keep your freaking assumptions to yourself, and hope that you are not in the same situation because you'll find yourself biting your tongue mighty hard-

Again, you prove my point about MacNN- THANKS for that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2008, 12:32 PM

Anything that involves microwaving equipment in order to justify a return is fraudulent, pure and simple. You may not like that message, but it's the truth.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Anything that involves microwaving equipment in order to justify a return is fraudulent, pure and simple. You may not like that message, but it's the truth.
Oh My God, LEARN to READ.. i didn't RETURN anything.

He still has my BROKEN iPhone.

I have a brand new one.

Apple WON twice.

Do you UNDERSTAND English or NOT really?

DAMN.

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2008, 12:38 PM

So you didn't deliberately sabotage your iPhone to trick your friend into buying you a brand new one?

Or do I just not get that English?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2008, 12:39 PM

So the point of the microwave was to do what? Was it not to convince him that it was completely broken? That's still untruthful. I didn't say you defrauded Apple necessarily.

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
Why is it that you people are so cynical. Do you not know what it's liek to be on the unfortunate end of things? my iPhone was working perfectly fine before thie weekend thank you very much. You were not around, you have NO idea. Not only that, but you are right, this person is not the FRIEND i thought, i never said it was a close friend- I tried the nice way, I tried the reasonable way- my two options were either to become violent or to fight back using the same tactics- I chose the latter.

And in the end apple won twice, so again, keep your freaking assumptions to yourself, and hope that you are not in the same situation because you'll find yourself biting your tongue mighty hard-

Again, you prove my point about MacNN- THANKS for that.
There's nothing cynical here. Our assumptions turned out to be correct — you were asking the question in order to lie, cheat and defraud your friend out of the money needed for a brand new iPhone. And if you think your only options were to get violent or lie, then you're misguided. I would have chosen to walk way from this "friend" with my dignity -- and grateful that fate had showed me he was an asshole, before I'd invested more of my time in that relationship.

daSilVetZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 12:48 PM

Cold Warrior, I honestly do not know how to explain this to you in a way that you might understand.

I had a perfectly fine iPhone.

This person ruined it.

They would not admit to it.

WHY should i "walk" away and lose $500, when I was doing the guy a favor to begin with?

I convinced the person, by ruining the phone more than he had already, that he should replace it for me, since the fact that the battery had dropped to an hour did not suffice in his mind.

I have a new phone-

Maybe next time he won't lie.

I'm sorry we do not see things in the same light- I'm sorry I don't have $500 laying around to spend for no reason- I'm sorry that you judge me, I like to give people a chance but I guess you don't believe in chances.

it is mind-boggling to me that you guys are literally making it out to seem that I am the bad guy here for having this person buy me a new phone that he ruined and wouldnt admit to. I woudl expect a little more respect but obviously it's always good to bash on the OP here @ MacNN.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 01:47 PM

The fact that he was being an asshole and you cheated him into doing the right thing doesn't change the fact that you were perpetrating a fraud.

Not legally, and not morally (unless you're into eye-for-eye ethics, where everyone invariably ends up losing).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 01:58 PM

This person ruined it.
Please explain how someone using your phone for a weekend could magically make the battery stop holding more than an hour charge.

You ruined your phone and blamed someone else. Then you scammed a new iPhone out of them. Congratulations.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 7, 2008, 02:08 PM

Wow, people need to chill out, everyone seems personally effected and offended. You asked for the explanation that was none of your business anyway, then you jump further down this guys throat. Everyone get the frick off of your high horses. I'm sure none of you have never ever done anything even slightly morally questionable. Right? oy.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 02:32 PM

I would have tried the same thing in his situation. you can't let other people walk all over you. it's shady but in the end run it's only hurting the guy who did the damage in the first place. if he replaced it so easily once it was nuked there was obviously something he did with the phone that weekend that ****ed it up and he was lying about it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I would have tried the same thing in his situation. you can't let other people walk all over you. it's shady but in the end run it's only hurting the guy who did the damage in the first place. if he replaced it so easily once it was nuked there was obviously something he did with the phone that weekend that ****ed it up and he was lying about it.
I still want to know how you think this can be accomplished. You can't just change the capacity of the battery.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I still want to know how you think this can be accomplished. You can't just change the capacity of the battery.
it is a known issue that some head units in cars are damaging the iphones, some loose charge capacity, some fry, and some screens even get burned out. number one KO king right now is the alpine systems. Go try it out for yourself, youll see. come post your findings.....o you dont want to? scared? should be, cuz it happens. Jeez, dont understand why this guy has to be sent to the gallows just for a simple question.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 03:59 PM

my two options were either to become violent or to fight back using the same tactics

You considered getting violent to be an option? What if he was telling the truth, and the battery capacity drop was just a coincidence that happened to occur when he had it?

Violence should never be an option. Ever.

Anyway, even if the battery problem was your friend's fault, for which you don't have any evidence, hosing the entire iPod and making your friend pay for a completely new one was completely unnecessary, since you could have just had the battery replaced for $80 from Apple or $45 from a third party, even overlooking the fact that Apple might have just honored the warranty and replaced it for free anyway. Making your friend pay over $300 more than he needed to definitely doesn't help your case.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 7, 2008 at 04:29 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 04:00 PM

Charles beat me to it, but this sounds fishy to me. I'm not convinced that Apple would have been hostile to this situation - they might very well have replaced the battery, even with a ding in the case. Or perhaps there was a software setting that was eating more battery that your friend turned on? Who knows?
( Last edited by peeb; Mar 7, 2008 at 04:58 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
it is a known issue that some head units in cars are damaging the iphones, some loose charge capacity, some fry, and some screens even get burned out. number one KO king right now is the alpine systems. Go try it out for yourself, youll see. come post your findings.....o you dont want to? scared? should be, cuz it happens. Jeez, dont understand why this guy has to be sent to the gallows just for a simple question.
Scared? What are you, 12?

A google search yielded NO results on what you're talking about. So yeah, I still think this whole thing is bogus and the OP screwed over a supposed friend.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 04:55 PM

Actually you're right, they didn't waste any money on the indicator stickers, as can be seen in this dissection:
Wrong. The dissection simply didn't go into enough detail. There *is* an indicator dot -- at the base of the headphone jack.

How to tell if your iPhone has liquid damage - iPhone Atlas

You can actually see it if you look into it under good light.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Violence should never be an option. Ever.
If someone screws with my Apple gear I'll use any necessary self defense tactics to protect them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 05:07 PM

The moral of the story is that this is an unethical and fraudulent thread that shouldn't be allowed here. It's not up to MacNN's standards.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

Maybe, he has always been a fraudster?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
Wrong. The dissection simply didn't go into enough detail. There *is* an indicator dot -- at the base of the headphone jack.

How to tell if your iPhone has liquid damage - iPhone Atlas

You can actually see it if you look into it under good light.
Ah - shame on Ars then.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 06:19 PM

You guys(or girls) are crazy, his friend broke his iPhone and it only had one hour of battery life, it was going to die any way, he was just speeding up the process.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 06:54 PM

You guys(or girls) are crazy, his friend broke his iPhone and it only had one hour of battery life, it was going to die any way, he was just speeding up the process.
With all due respect how do you know? And why would you speed it up?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 06:58 PM

And do you not see a difference between a dead battery, and a dead phone?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
And do you not see a difference between a dead battery, and a dead phone?
A dead battery would be replaced under warranty. A dead phone would too if it doesn't have signs of beating to death. You can see where this is going.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2008, 07:56 PM

If anyone can actually give any kind of scenario where someone could break an iPhone's battery, shortening its charge capacity, with no physical damage to the phone itself, I *MAY* actually believe the OP. But sorry, it just ain't gonna happen.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 09:00 PM

who cares if the ding was there? according to him it was there for six months. you're an idiot if you think that the weekend AFTER he lent it to his friend that the problems he faced could come from the ding. that's just stupid logic.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
With all due respect how do you know? And why would you speed it up?
so he could use his phone for more than 1 hour at a time

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:15 PM

If anyone can actually give any kind of scenario where someone could break an iPhone's battery, shortening its charge capacity, with no physical damage to the phone itself, I *MAY* actually believe the OP. But sorry, it just ain't gonna happen.
I had an ipod nano that i had in a case 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, and suddenly i had only 45ish minuets of battery power, i know its not an iphone, but still.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2008, 09:19 PM

Leave him alone, its over now

Forum Links
Forum Rules