Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever had a black out?

Ever had a black out?
Tiresias
Jun 14, 2008, 04:46 AM

Also called alcohol-related amnesia, this is different from the mutually exclusive and altogether preferable "pass out."
It's when, after that third bottle of red, Mr Hyde takes the helm and steers you straight for the most jagged reef.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 07:23 AM

It wasn't alcohol related, but I use to play club (competitive soccer, under 18) soccer and I have a game in which I can't remember anything that happened, and during the game, I couldn't remember back more than about 1 second. I was aware that I wasn't forming any memories and I felt like my peripheral vision was blacked out. After the game, I was told it was the best game I ever played and was asked why I didn't play like that all the time. I was too scared to tell anyone that I had no idea what happened during that game. I wish someone had taped it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 08:47 AM

Hmmmm...

Hershel Walker recently stated in his autobiography that he doesn't remember receiving the Heisman Trophy, and also has large, gaping holes in his memory, especially during games. He admitted to receiving help for dissociative identity disorder.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 08:56 AM

i thought this was a normal part of drinking? (ha, just kidding)

although i have had more then my share of blackout nights from college

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 09:15 AM

Generally I was under the impression that those types of episodes were indicative of someone has a problem abusing alcohol.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
It wasn't alcohol related, but I use to play club (competitive soccer, under 18) soccer and I have a game in which I can't remember anything that happened, and during the game, I couldn't remember back more than about 1 second. I was aware that I wasn't forming any memories and I felt like my peripheral vision was blacked out. After the game, I was told it was the best game I ever played and was asked why I didn't play like that all the time. I was too scared to tell anyone that I had no idea what happened during that game. I wish someone had taped it.
I had that with running, once.

Somehow I skipped about ten laps once on the 1600m run in high school - by far the best time I've ever run.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 14, 2008, 11:36 AM

I had had alcohol related amnesia a number of times. It didn't just affect that night of drinking, but often weeks or months prior. One time I called my girlfriend up to see what we were doing that day and was informed that we had broken up a couple weeks earlier. I stopped drinking for a year as I got pretty scared. Mind you, these were some pretty major benders, 1/5 gallon bottle of vodka and a lot of beer in a night. Later, I learned a little bit more self control and paced myself better so I never got completely blotto.

Unlike most people though, people actually told me I was hilarious, and a very "mellow" drunk.

I stopped drinking back in November of 2006 mostly just to see if I could. I have not had a single problem. Most members of my family (blood related) have severe alcohol problems. My father and brother get pretty hammered every day. I can't tell you the last time I saw my dad drink anything other than coffee or an alcohol drink. I have never seen him drink a glass of water ever. I asked him once why he doesn't drink water and his reply was "Why?"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 11:39 AM

No, but there are a few times I wish I had blacked out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 14, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Generally I was under the impression that those types of episodes were indicative of someone has a problem abusing alcohol.
Wiki says blackouts occur when a lot of alcohol is consumed quickly; however, if the same quantity is consumed slowly, it's less likely to happen, though you'll still be blotto.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 11:47 AM

Twice. The first time was after pulling an all nighter with my cousins. The next time was at my sister wedding. I made what I thought was a Martini. Funny thing it was so little as volume is concerned. Both times the next thing I remember was waking up at home.
45/47

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 14, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I stopped drinking back in November of 2006 mostly just to see if I could.
I think I'm going to try that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 01:51 PM

Had a gulp of frozen margarita. Started to get a brain freeze.

I'm like "okay, this is really painful."

Next thing I know, the back of my head is in a broken plate of tacos, I'm looking directly at the ceiling, and people are screaming "CALL 911!". According to everyone, I was totally unresponsive for about 15-30 seconds.

We walked over to the emergency room, just in case, and the doctor guessed it was just a big drop in blood pressure.

As for what you're actually talking about, no.

And no, it's not too embarrassing to get laid out by a slurpee.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 14, 2008 at 01:58 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah, a couple of times it took a whole week for the events of a night's drinking to come back. Stopped drinking, so it's all good now.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 03:08 PM

It wasn't a black out but the first time that I ever drank Absinthe messed me up royally and I have a very strong tolerance for alcohol. Absinthe was even stronger than many drugs I took back in my younger days.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:38 PM

I've had a couple in my life. A number of years ago I went on a bender while in San Francisco for a few days. One afternoon I took a cab to a sushi bar across town, had sushi and drinks, and then strolled over to a nearby pub. I remember putting down the vodka/sodas and gabbing with the locals well into the night. I can't remember anything past a certain point, but I was safely in my hotel bed the next morning. I exercise a substantial more amount of restraint now, simply because I don't like the feeling of loss of control. That, and I would like to keep my liver functioning well into my old age.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 04:23 PM

No I haven't blacked out before. Even when drinking I tend to stick to my limits as I wish not to black out. Too much drinking is..well too much. But even sports wise or any other health reasons I have never blacked out. I have came close before but I never did.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2008, 05:10 PM

My first real binge night was a HS graduation party. After 18 shots total (4 of those Bacardi 151) in less than an hour my mind decided to take the night off. Apparently I was an absolute disaster that night, ended up falling into a thorn bush while pissing and pissed and bled all over myself. Woke up on the floor next to my bed fully clothed and couldn't remember anything past 10:30 the previous night. I puked all day and had a severe stomach ache for almost a week.

Since then I've never passed out/blacked out.

Another strange occurrence was at a small concert. After drinking/smoking weed all day (and not eating, dumb) My vision blacked out while I was watching the concert. At first the lights got really bright and everything else started to wash out and before I knew it I was completely blind and I had no idea where the hell I was. Once my vision returned I had a wicked headache, worse headache I've ever had. My guess is that I had really low blood sugar.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 05:26 PM

yup

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 08:07 PM

Only the one after a bad storm.

But alcohol kept me going

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 08:38 PM

I think the real question is, what pussy hasn't had a blackout from drinking?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 08:36 AM

i have regular non alcohol related blackouts. i just stare straight into the nothing, people told me..I can't focus
I should have my blood checked, maybe its sugar?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
i have regular non alcohol related blackouts. i just stare straight into the nothing, people told me..I can't focus
I should have my blood checked, maybe its sugar?
That could very well be a form of epylepsy.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 15, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
That could very well be a form of epylepsy.
Or transient global amnesia.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post

I have never blacked out for any reason. Long before I have enough alcohol in my system for such an event to occur my stomach forces it back out. The most alcohol I've been able to keep in my system at once was approximately 9 shots of tequila over 2 hours. I still threw up shortly after I returned home anyway.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2008, 12:41 PM

I only had one blackout. Unfortunately, I came to while driving my car, at three in the morning. I lost about three hours. Pretty scary.

Normally, though, I would drink until the room spun, & I puked. Often, after puking I felt so much better that I could go back to drinking some more. Haven't had a drop in over 10 years. Don't miss those days one bit.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 01:06 PM

I did one time, and that was enough to keep me from ever getting that intoxicated again. It was an evening of Champaign and Scotch. I completely lost driving home. Very, very scary.

Now I never drive after drinking anything more than one beer or drink an hour, and I usually never drink more than two drinks a day.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
It was an evening of Champaign and Scotch. I completely lost driving home. Very, very scary.
You got lost in Illinois with a bunch of bagpipers?

Egad!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2008, 01:56 PM

Thats the other way around.

Everyone I know who's blacked out I have been able to match drink for drink.

Some people black out, some people don't. People in this branch of my family just don't.

I'll also note that none of us are alcoholics. We're full of addicts, just not to alcohol, so it's not like I'm trying to go all superior on anyone.

I've seen some pretty heavy correlation between a family history of alcoholism and those who black out.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 15, 2008 at 02:08 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2008, 11:54 PM

I'm not accusing you of alcoholism or anything, subego, since I know that every case is unique, but I've heard those same exact statements before from people who have pretty bad drinking problems.

I have on friend in particular who has a fairly high tolerance for alcohol (physically, at least) but he will drink himself to the point of belligerence. He gets violent and/or depressed and does things he regrets. Then the next morning he will claim to remember everything, and get angry and defensive if you suggest otherwise.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 09:00 AM

I have on friend in particular who has a fairly high tolerance for alcohol (physically, at least) but he will drink himself to the point of belligerence. He gets violent and/or depressed and does things he regrets. Then the next morning he will claim to remember everything, and get angry and defensive if you suggest otherwise.
Who are you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules