Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have you ordered a new iBook?

Have you ordered a new iBook?
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2001, 08:43 PM

I'm curious what the delivery time is from the Apple Store?

What are they quoting for a delivery date?

I posted an iBook wish list last year and everything I wished for has come true plus even more.

When I ordered my Version A iBook, I wished for 2 & 2, and DVD(2 inches off each dimension, 2lbs lighter and could play DVD.)

Now it's here, I plan to get one this summer, but I'm curious when this batch will show up 'cause maybe I can't wait!

----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2001, 09:05 PM

I ordered mine today. The order stated 3-5 weeks for the ship date.

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2001, 09:19 PM

Ordered mine today... Apple Rep quoted me 3 to 5 weeks but probably closer to 3. Apple says they hope to have @ least early orders to meet their "mid-may" deadline.

I expect we will see something similar to the Titanium PB G4 launch.

I feel like I made off like a bandit. Instead of getting a Powerbook G4 (whose Power I would never begin to use) I held off and bought a DVD iBook. This thing is comparablee to the Titanium Powerbook in everyway but the screen and it costs $1100 less... It was an easy decision for me.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 1, 2001, 10:03 PM

Just ordered my baby:

Part Number: Z03K
Product Name: iBook 500MHz
Options:
065-2473 iBook 500MHz White
065-2862 20GB Ultra ATA drive
065-2688 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
065-2819 192MB SDRAM

God I love Macintosh...

-Brad

------------------
"And after Adam and Eve ate the Apple, God punished Bill Gates by making him look like a turtle."

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
Just ordered my baby:

Part Number: Z03K
Product Name: iBook 500MHz
Options:
065-2473 iBook 500MHz White
065-2862 20GB Ultra ATA drive
065-2688 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
065-2819 192MB SDRAM

God I love Macintosh...

-Brad
Brad- please tell me you didn't actually pay apple $100 for 64 megs of RAM?????

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

poopmonkey
May 1, 2001, 10:31 PM

I ordered mine as soon as I could (11:08 PST), probably one of the first apple store orders (I was clicking reload like a mofo). I ordered the dvd version with 20 GB drive and 256 MB RAM. With tax (screw that) it came to a little over $1900. I probably should have gone with 128 MB RAM and upgraded it myself, but the 128 was only $100 more after the rebate.

Shipping in 3-5 weeks, I'm hoping it it closer to the three.

This machine is perfect for me. The Powerbook G4 is a bit much for me considering this will be a secondary machine. It's getting X with MySQL and PHP installed on it as soon as I get it, now I can work away from the office and home! I hope that dvd support will come to X soon so I can watch some movies on those long plane rides... thinking about the dvd part, some of those portable dvd players are over a grand with only a 7" screen.... the ibook is sounding like a better and better bargain. Also, I like the white, it's like an empty canvas, just waiting for a custom decal/paint job!

Well, I'm off to re-read everything about that little beast.

poopmonkey
May 1, 2001, 10:41 PM

Brad- please tell me you didn't actually pay apple $100 for 64 megs of RAM?????
Juan: You get the RAM for half of what it is listed as. I ordered 256MB which would be an extra $200 for 128 MB, but when the order was placed, I got a $100 credit. 128 MB for $100, still not the best deal in the world, but I'm lazy.

BTW, how's your donkey?

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2001, 11:41 PM

I'm going to order one to replace my tangerine iBook, but I'll wait until MacWorld in July. I've heard that in they might come in colors in the future and I'm hoping that they have a better graphics card too.

I can hear all the people who ordered a new iBook now bitchin' and feeling betrayed when it gets updated in July. I can wait a couple of months and I don't want to be one of those people.

rtdunham
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 11:59 PM

I ordered the combo drive model, extra battery, av cable, apple care, 20G drive. Sales rep said "three weeks".

I'll be selling the 400 MHz Ti PB G4 I ordered at macworld expo and got in april: All I really wanted was a replacement for the duos I'd used for years, and the iBook is that in spades. I don't need the bigger screen for my purposes--it's a machine to travel with--and i like the combo drive. And what's the deal about the bus: isn't it as fast as the hard drives presently available? Isn't a faster bus like pouring water from a big pipe into a little pipe, in some ways?

peace
terry

------------------

ur13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2001, 12:14 AM

I am a designer, I have worked on a powerbook for over 2 years as my main computer. I do it all on this. I have a 500mHz firewire powerbook, love it but it isn't mine, it is my companies.

I first saw the TI powerbook and was not blown away at all, it is cool and everything, but left NO real impression in me. I still wanted one but nothing really made me go buy it.

Now today I saw the p29 ibook and I was giddy all day drooling and resiting the urge for the credit card (just spent over $300 on longboard skateboards today). I came home showed my wife and we are now proud owners (well orderes) of a p29 iBook/256RAM/DVD/20GB/extra battery....this little baby will become my 90% of the time work computer..and this old powerbook will stay in the office as the workhorse model with a 17 apple monitor.

I have not reacted to a mac like this since the first time I saw an iMac and then the first iBook....the G3/G4 towers were cool at first but the cube was just dumb, VERY dumb.

Point is. I love this little computer. I have been jealous of my coworkers with the small sonys, but I can't wait to show my new iBook off when it comes in 3-5 weeks and make them all drool.

So this p29 iBook will be my main work computer...i am mainly a graphic designer and do architecture and sculpture too (read that 3D apps). I loath desktop computers and have access to G4 towers when i want one...so in this little package I have it all, I also like small screens.

The only thing I wish the p29 iBook did was instead of just mirroring the desktop via the RGB port on a external monitor, I wish it worked like the powerbooks do...but oh well...for all the other pluses and the perfect design i will deal with it.

Oh the design, the weight, the features....

I will have sweet dreams tonight, i couldn't have designed a more perfect computer honestly. I though sony had it perfect...oh how wrong I was.

I can't wait to see the colored p29 iBooks, but white is the best. The snow iMac was the best looking of all too....

//ur13
//[email protected]

fats
Forum Regular
May 2, 2001, 01:11 AM

Just ordered mine. I'm so stoked. These are going to be the longest 3-5 weeks of my life...

I got it for $1442 on educational discount for the CD-ROM version with a 20 gig disk. Gonna stick a 512 in it from ramseeker when I get my mitts on it too

It's so cool, so small, and so inexpensive. I can sell my iMac and my powerbook 5300 and get this for nothing on top.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 02:23 AM

I'm gonna rummage through my room when I move out in a month and sell everything I can... then hope I have around $2000. Either that or I'll take out a small bank loan for it... I hate to say this but I NEED one. I can't stop looking at it!

Mac Guru

------------------
Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%"

fobside
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
I'm gonna rummage through my room when I move out in a month and sell everything I can... then hope I have around $2000. Either that or I'll take out a small bank loan for it... I hate to say this but I NEED one. I can't stop looking at it!
youre like me. new hardware...i need it! dang, it looks like its already time for my TiPB to get a little sister. stinking apple...make great products too fast that i cant afford!

------------------

Don't worry. I know him personally and I'm not serious...or am I? JERK!

Petrox
May 2, 2001, 03:33 AM

wahoo! i just ordered my sweet-'n'-sexy new ibook and am totally excited. wow. got the combo drive, education discount, applecare, and a/v cable (no...i'd never buy apple's ridiculously overpriced ram or harddrive upgrades...). very very very cool

(my little rev b. bondhi imac that i'm typing this note on is very sad...)

off to ebay says i!

(if anybody wants a great little imac 233 w/192 megs ram, voodoo2, macosx, office 2001, norton etc. etc. email [email protected] and let's work out a deal)

iPaul UK
Senior User
May 2, 2001, 07:30 AM

Oh No.. Lord help me please! For I have purchased another computer thou did not needeth (Damn, I'm not religous! Oh well..) . But it looked SOOO good and I just had to have one!

I too went for the top spec model with CDRW/DVD combo drive thingy. Think I only did that to upset the G4 PowerBook owners who can't have such a drive!

But get this! (It must have been a typo), I wanted an extra 128MB of ram (256 total) And on the Apple UK site, it said this was gonna cost me something like an extra �165!! Thats about $250 to you US people out there. Maybe there was a rebate offer here in the UK too.. But sheeesh! I aint paying that! I didn't order it from Apple anyway. Ordered it from Jigsaw systems, who only charged me about �65 for the extra memory, Thats better!

Jigsaw said i'll have to wait and be patient for around 2-4 weeks untill they get them in stock.

Xmas comes in May this year!

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2001, 08:22 PM

I just ordered mine about an hour ago. HURRAY!!

I'm not even sure I really have a major need for a laptop. However I've always wanted one, and after this puppy was unleashed, I couldn't resist any longer. Plus you cannot beat the price.

DDJ

graffix
May 3, 2001, 09:21 PM

I also ordered my iBook last night.
Specs:
500Mhz iBook
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
256MB Ram (128 onboard and an extra 128MB stick).
20GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
Extra Battery
A/V Cable
MS Office Academic
USB Zip Drive
I decided to go with the Apple RAM because it was purchased against an Apple Instant Education Loan, and I won't have any extra funds until the fall when school starts again (plus Apple gives a $94 rebate on that configuration).
In my opinion though, your best bet is to get at least 128MB of RAM in it, because the first 64-128MB of RAM is soldered onto the logic board. If you only get the 64MB option, your maximum ram Configuration is 576MB, otherwise you can put in 640MB with 128MB built in (there's only one RAM expansion slot).
I decided to take the full plunge though... I got the powerbook I've always wanted cheaper than the TiBook I had been previously considering... and that's good news to me.

tie
Professional Poster
May 3, 2001, 09:33 PM

About the RAM.. What kind of RAM does the iBook use? Can I plug into it one of the 128 MB PC133 modules I have in my G4 now? Is it tough to install? (I know nobody has one yet, but how was it for the earlier iBooks.)

I think I'm going to have to get one. It's either that or an LCD monitor; this CRT is killing my eyes.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

geek77
May 4, 2001, 08:06 AM

You can't use RAM from a G4 desktop, but RAM from the TiBook will work. It's just required that it is a 1.25-inch standard SO-DIMM.

bradr
Forum Regular
May 4, 2001, 09:29 AM

Will RAM modules from the current iBooks work in the new one?

THX1138
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2001, 10:34 PM

My girlfriend ordered hers about 11:30 on the 2nd, she got the DVD model, plus the "College Bound" promo ($199 for a Rio 600, Epson 777i, and 128megs extra).

The printer, Rio, and RAM arrived today, and they stated 3 to 5 weeks for the computer.

God damn I'm jealous.

-THX

------------------
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.

d=dope
May 5, 2001, 01:38 AM

Anyone who had any doubts....erase them...I got my hands on a cd-rom configured ibook today at a mac store in Seattle where the apple rep happened to be today....I love it all....and the screen looks sweet....I had my doubts at first about the 12.1 at 1024x768, but I am convinced...once payday comes a dvd model is coming my way...

rudynorff
May 5, 2001, 05:39 AM

I live in Germany and I ordered mine a few days ago at my dealer of choice. Not only did I get the iBook $200 cheaper, but also I got an 2 year extended warranty! The guy at the shop told me that they would probably ship end of may, so the 3-5 weeks listed in the AppleStore are probably true.

I sold my iMacDV for this sweet thing and now I won't have a Mac at least for the next three weeks! (

Still dreaming,
rudy norff

Forum Links
Forum Rules