Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Is there a SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner app for Windows?

Is there a SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner app for Windows?
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 10:19 AM

Does anybody have any experience with cloning a Windows bootable internal drive to an external that can do its thing while I'm still using the startup volume? Every Windows utility I find that I think is an incremental cloning solution that makes an external drive bootable, is some "put in a CD, reboot the computer, and create a WHOLE image only" solution. I'm trying to recreate (or come as close as possible to) the SuperDuper or CCC experience in Windows 7 RC1, without having to reboot.

Anything you can teach me would be great and warmly received!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Cold Warrior
Jun 9, 2009, 10:48 AM

Windows 7 has a built-in backup tool that does incremental backups and images. It doesn't require booting from a CD or into some partial environment.
Windows 7: Windows Backup Overview

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 10:54 AM

It doesn't copy file for file though does it? Meaning if I browsed to C and then browsed the E (external drive), they would look *exactly* the same? Plus, it doesn't make backup drives bootable. That overview doesn't suggest it can.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 04:09 PM

You might try this tool:

EASEUS Disk Copy: Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone, Partition Copy Software. Sector by Sector for hard drive backup freeware.

It's freeware and appears to let you clone disks in Windows. No idea if it requires a reboot to create a clone, but it's worth looking at.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 04:30 PM

shifuimam, that looks very promising! I'll give it a go.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2009, 04:44 PM

It does look like it requires a reboot.

However, the way that Windows behaves is different than the way OS X behaves. If you want to clone your system/OS drive, I think it's inevitable that you're going to have to reboot first.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 04:47 PM

Oh shoot. I'm looking for a non reboot option. Looks like the built-in features of Windows 7 are the only ones that allow this, or tools which use the Shadow Volume service. I'm trying the W7 stuff right now and see if it gets incremental after the full. I'm using both of its abilities, to copy individual files in the event of smaller pieced loss, and create a system restore image in the event of a total failure of the internal drive.

kinokeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2009, 04:12 PM

Acronis True Image can do full partition backups from within windows to an external HD. make a bootable CD, then restore from external HD.

But why bother when you can winclone (http://twocanoes.com/winclone/). You can backup your bootcamp partition from the mac side. no need for windows utilities.

gts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2010, 01:51 AM

Shadow Copy Cloner will clone your Windows system to an external drive, with an option to make it bootable in a manner very similar to Carbon Copy Cloner. No reboot is required to create the clone, or update the clone. To boot from the clone, however, you have to take the disk out of its enclosure and install it in the computer where Windows can boot from it.
See http://www.goldentroutsoftware.com/scc.html
( Last edited by gts; Mar 12, 2010 at 02:03 AM. )

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by gts View Post
To boot from the clone, however, you have to take the disk out of its enclosure and install it in the computer where Windows can boot from it.[/url]

Partitia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

Does anyone know whether it is actually possible to create a new internal hard drive for a MBP with 5 bootable partitions; 2 for OSX (Tiger and Snow Leopard) and 3 for Windows (2 x Windows XP Pro, and 1 x Windows 7) ?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2011, 02:56 PM

pff I have the same issue here. A SSD with osx and an extra internal HDD that i partitioned into two pieces.

I have an extra HDD drive with bootcamp on it, that i want to clone to the internal HDD partition.

I have been puzzling for 9 hours to get this partition copied to the internal drive.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2011, 04:51 PM

Winclone should work. The dev's page seems to be down, but it's available from reputable software sites.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2011, 02:00 AM

Wow, I wish I had known about this thread when I was looking for a Windows cloning tool. As I've written about in a more recent thread, I'm very impressed with EASEUS Backup. (As opposed to previous comments, it runs live from a boot drive, can clone that drive at the same time and does not require a special boot disk.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules