Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Cook calls Haunted Empire 'nonsense,' insists Apple as strong as ever

Cook calls Haunted Empire 'nonsense,' insists Apple as strong as ever
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 18, 2014, 05:04 PM

Yukari Iwatani Kane's book Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs is "nonsense," claims Apple CEO Tim Cook. "This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple," he says in a statement to CNBC. "It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company. Apple has over 85,000 employees that come to work each day to do their best work, to create the world's best products, to put their mark in the universe and leave it better than they found it. This has been the heart of Apple from day one and will remain at the heart for decades to come. I am very confident about our future."

The book -- which is being sold on Apple's iBookstore, among other places -- contends that Apple's corporate culture has been in decline since the death of co-founder Steve Jobs in October 2011, and that workers are starting to leave for Google or various startups. Kane argues in fact that the company is invested in putting on a facade, puffing up its own products and attacking the competition in ways that no longer ring true.

Although the book has been controversial, Kane is a former Wall Street Journal reporter and the title is based on some 200 interviews, including current and former Apple executives. Many analysts and critics have also regularly wondered if Apple can maintain momentum without Jobs, sometimes pointing out that the company hasn't released any revolutionary products since the iPad in 2010.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM. )

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2014, 05:18 PM

Why would he dignify this piece of crap with a response?? Does he really want to give this "author" even more publicity?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2014, 06:04 PM

I think the next three months or so will dry up sales of this book. What's interesting to me is that I've never seen such unanimous conclusions on a book by reviewers: every single review I've read comes to essentially the same conclusion as Cook: that its a smear job that cherry-picks facts to fit a pre-conceived narrative conclusion.

Perhaps that's unsurprising coming from someone who formerly worked for Rupert Murdoch. All I can say is thank heavens she didn't choose to become a scientist.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 18, 2014, 06:48 PM

She's looking for a job with Fox News, or on a Republican "election" campaign.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Mar 18, 2014, 06:48 PM

It was too easy. Sorry. I have no self control.

Think4D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2014, 08:52 PM

Ummm, you might want to change that first sentence.

"Yukari Iwatani Kane's book Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs is "nonsense," claims Apple CEO Steve Jobs. "This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple," he says in a statement to CNBC."

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2014, 09:45 PM

Another Apple hater trying to make a buck catering to all the other Apple haters.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2014, 09:58 PM

Geeez. Good catch, msuper69. I'll fix that.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2014, 10:44 PM

Is Cook the Iraqi Information minister in disguise? There are no American tanks inside of Baghdad. That tank rolling past behind me is an illusion. There are no American troops inside of Iraq.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

xomniron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2014, 10:47 PM

Actually Flying, she's angling to get hired at MSNBC where she can join its staff who are widely regarded as expert at misrepresentation and outright lies. THAT was easy to see.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2014, 09:40 AM

chas_m: I think you meant Think4D.

climacs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2014, 09:54 AM

right, xomniron. MSNBC, the network that sued for the right to lie.

Oh wait, did I say MSNBC? That was actually Fox News Channel.

xomniron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2014, 11:52 AM

How so, Climacs? We'd all be interested in how you made that leap of logic. Are you referring to WTVT in Tampa. FL?

It was a locally-owned affiliate. Affiliates are separately owned businesses, whose only connection is that they buy to carry the network's programming. It's not even an affiliate of FOX NEWS. It's an affiliate of FOX BROADCASTING (You know, the home of such liberal favorites as Family Guy and American Dad).

So the true story is that Fox owns the conservative FOX NEWS and the liberal FOX BROADCASTING....and a locally-owned station that carries programming of the liberal FOX BROADCASTING sued for the right to lie.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2014, 05:29 PM

Just for the record, Fox Broadcasting is neither liberal nor conservative ... it puts on whatever it thinks will win a big audience (and then cancels it as soon as it does, and then brings it back three years later, haha!). Not everything is political ... sometimes its just business.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

JEB
Mar 19, 2014, 11:09 PM

...re: since 2010...

I guess Apple best hurry up and release the PowerBook G5 then...
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

Forum Links
Forum Rules