Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sprint takes a jab at carriers with $60 single-line unlimited plan

Sprint takes a jab at carriers with $60 single-line unlimited plan
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 22, 2014, 12:26 AM

With the exit of Dan Hesse and the appointment of CEO Marcelo Claure earlier in the month, Sprint is kicking into a new gear with a clutch of new offerings. Following on a new family plan structure, including a $100 plan with up to 10 lines and 40 GB of data, Sprint announced a new single-line plan that offers unlimited text, talk and data for $60 per month. The new plan follows on previous reports that a similar plan was in the works for $50 a month.

"People know Sprint for unlimited," said CEO Marcelo Claure. "We have long been the leader in offering customers unlimited data, and that leadership continues today with our new $60 unlimited plan. Unlimited talk, text and data for $60 is the best postpaid plan available. And, we've listened to our loyal customers; we're making the Sprint $60 Unlimited Plan available to both new and existing customers."

While Sprint will start offering the cheapest single-line plan on one of the four major carrier starting August 22, it doesn't come without a few catches. When examining the fine print, it shows that the pricing could be different from customers that already use Sprint for phone service. Those that are currently under one- or two-year contracts could pay up to $25 more for the plan "until they reach upgrade eligibility." The charges don't show up as a single $60 plan either, but rather separate $30 plans for voice and data.

The real kicker is that the plan doesn't include discounted phones. Customers will be required to purchase their phones through Sprint Easy Pay, or pay full price for a phone (or bring an existing device that compatible with the network).

Further examination shows that Sprint will limit throughput to make the experience better for the majority of its users. Data can be "limited, varied or reduced on the network." It also says that Sprint has the right to terminate service if roaming off-network exceeds 800 minutes or a majority of minutes, or if data passes 100GB.

In the release, the carrier didn't shy away from the competition either. While the company simply stated that AT&T and Verizon didn't offer the same sort of unlimited data plan, it jabbed specifically at T-Mobile's $80 unlimited offering. Sprint points out that customers can save $480 over two years when stacked up against T-Mobile. To take it further, the company makes it a point to call out T-Mobile's recent recruitment promotion that called for customers to "un-leash" their friends. Sprint customers can save $120 from the competitor's special pricing, "and they don't have to jump through T-Mobile's hoops and recruit their friends."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 26, 2014 at 05:14 AM. )

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2014, 01:54 PM

What none of these say is if the data includes teathering. Most charge $10-$20 more to use your data on a different device.
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 22, 2014, 02:59 PM

None of them include tethering.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2014, 04:03 PM

So 60 bucks is considered a deal now in the US? When I was on Wind, I had unlimited everything across both Canada and the US for 40 bucks and that included tethering. The only problem was the super crappy reception back home in Canada.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2014, 04:19 PM

And therein lies the rub with the "less expensive, but unlimited usage" plans from second-tier providers -- coverage area.

I've got T-Mobile and while it's super-cheap and fast and unlimited, that usually only goes for when I'm geographically located within the bounds of a major metropolitan area. For example, from between the heart of Texas and New Mexico along I-10 (8+ hour drive), there's rarely a spot I have anything more that just voice coverage, and that's spotty at best and frequently disconnects mid-conversation. Neither AT&T nor Verizon had that problem on the same stretch of highway, and I got at least 2G the entire way, 3G much of the way, and 4G in some surprisingly rural places.

It's a sad reality that if you want good coverage nationwide, you have but two options (AT&T or Verizon) and you're going to pay for that extra coverage area. All the others have significantly less coverage, which affects those people who find themselves traveling in areas like the one I described.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Aug 22, 2014, 05:25 PM

Ahhhh. The old limited "unlimited" ploy. They fall for it every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules