Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > BeOSX Theme Port

BeOSX Theme Port (Page 2)
Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 04:09 PM

Nice theme. How about making the tabbed look as well?

That took my a few minutes to modify. It's a little strange because the title floats over the window. It can get confusing with lot's of windows open. I bet if you play with alpha channels and toolbar size you can come to a happy medium, maybe as an option?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

barbarian
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 05:41 PM

What is it that I must do to get Sprocket???

Well you could start by searching these forums and finding threads with sprocket in the title..
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=002936

and then...if you are really really clever, you will find the link in those threads:
http://www.blackholemedia.com/sprocketd5.dmg.gz

buyanyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 06:04 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the original MacOSXart.tif and Loginpanel.tiff ? I foolishly neglected to backup the aqua originals before I installed the BeOS theme. As Swiz noted when posting his restore, these backups will be needed. Damnit! Oooops.

Anyone willing can e-mail to me.

Thanks.

[email protected]
"It's one thing when his head shakes when he's sitting down. When his head shakes when he's standing up, you know he's angry." -- Legislator speaking about Gov. Ventura of Minnesota

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>Nice theme. How about making the tabbed look as well?

That took my a few minutes to modify. It's a little strange because the title floats over the window. It can get confusing with lot's of windows open. I bet if you play with alpha channels and toolbar size you can come to a happy medium, maybe as an option?</STRONG>
It's definitely ugly! An unfit idea for MacOS X

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 06:11 PM

WTF? Swizcore, check this out...

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 3, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>Nice theme. How about making the tabbed look as well?

That took my a few minutes to modify. It's a little strange because the title floats over the window. It can get confusing with lot's of windows open. I bet if you play with alpha channels and toolbar size you can come to a happy medium, maybe as an option?</STRONG>
This is somoething I will absolutely implement as soon as a tool is available for layo editing. I just know there are alot of people out there who would disregard the theme altogether if they had to deal with the titlebar text "floating thing".

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 3, 2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>WTF? Swizcore, check this out...
</STRONG>
It's caused by certain apps using both the "sheet" pxm as well as the pxm for "Window Placard". I have seen this a time or two before but never encountered it while testing nor did anyone else who tested. I guess none of us were using apps which treated sheets this way. This is sad. I'll chage the sheet pxm art to that of the Window placard. You can d/l it later tonight if you want from the same URL.DAMN.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 08:30 PM

ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong with the installation (MMX was used).

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 3, 2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong with the installation (MMX was used).</STRONG>
No problem. The new file is available now.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 03:02 AM

I just tried the new BeOS theme and I really like it! It's very professional and simple. I'm sure there are several stuffs left for you to add soon, right? Pop-up menu, progress bar, and importantly dock haven't been BeOS-ized yet. Also I noticed the little glitch when I clicked on the button, the width size shrinked. I'm not sure if I like the throbbing button with rings. It may be nice but may become little annoying. What do you think?

Thanks for such a high-quality port on BeOS theme Look forward for next version

user_xyz_pdq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by barbarian:
<STRONG> What is it that I must do to get Sprocket???

Well you could start by searching these forums and finding threads with sprocket in the title..
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=002936

and then...if you are really really clever, you will find the link in those threads:
http://www.blackholemedia.com/sprocketd5.dmg.gz</STRONG>

I actually did do the search...But like most forum searches, it didn't yeild what I was looking for. I have it now though!

Ryan
Vader is my dad too.

user_xyz_pdq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
<STRONG>

EXCELLENT!!
I believe Ryan will be getting the BeOS desktop pics this week. When he does I will post them to the server and post the URL here.</STRONG>
I will be getting the BeOS 5 install CD tonight. All I need to do then is copy all of the images to a disk... I am also going to see if there are any other goodies in there
Vader is my dad too.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 4, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>I just tried the new BeOS theme and I really like it! It's very professional and simple. I'm sure there are several stuffs left for you to add soon, right? Pop-up menu, progress bar, and importantly dock haven't been BeOS-ized yet. Also I noticed the little glitch when I clicked on the button, the width size shrinked. I'm not sure if I like the throbbing button with rings. It may be nice but may become little annoying. What do you think?

Thanks for such a high-quality port on BeOS theme Look forward for next version</STRONG>
Yeah Adam, I was unsure about the "framed" default state also but all the testers (who were actual BeOS users) felt that it was important so I yeilded. This theme began as a request from Ryan wanting a BeOS theme for MacOSX which remained as tru to the orginal BeOS as possible so I applied all of that input. I will certainly be tweaking, tightening and completing the theme now that i see some folks are into it. Good eye !

iBabo
Senior User
Mar 5, 2002, 12:04 AM

i love this theme..thank you soo much.....just wonderin if/when the next update is gonna come out.....i noticed there is still some aqua in there....also a dock would be nice for it(although i used the transparent dock, which is also really cool)....thanks alot for the awsome theme.....the tabbed view someone made definatly looks intreaging...i wonder if you can get that to work....thanks again
smile like you mean it.

a holck
Senior User
Mar 5, 2002, 12:18 AM

- You should change the upper left logo to 'BeOSX'
- The tabbed window would be cool if you just made the rest of the bar grey at 50% opacity, maybe 'Blue / graphite' could change between the states.

diskobolos
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
<STRONG>

I know what's wrong with the MacOSXart file! You named it .tiff and it needs to be called .tif !</STRONG>
swiz he's right... if you do a search the real file is called "MacOSXart.tif" I'm sure if you just changed the extension you could include that file in your theme. I say keep working on it.. sure there will be some different versions floating around but just post a link to the latest version when you update.

user_xyz_pdq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 02:01 PM

Hello all. Ryan here (icon guy). I have done a little research and found that BeOS by default didn't come with a desktop image. There was just a default blue color. I have taken a screenshot of this blue color that I will be sending to Swiz so he can include it into the next release of the theme.

Also, if there are any icon requests for the BeOSX theme, let me know and I will try and get them finished by the next BeOSX release.

Ryan
Vader is my dad too.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 5, 2002, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys (gals too?)
I am finally getting the actual content of swizcoremedia.com up which will include the OSX section where all the newest versions of my themes will be. I am thinking about releasing two versions of BeOSX. One which will be 100% true to the BeOS GUI and another which will be an offspring of that, not much different but the little things, Like- BeOSX in the menu bar which was suggested. The tabbed titlebars for the actual BeOS theme and the normal titlebars for the more oSX-ish one. Just a thought. Please keep suggestions coming. I will also setup a small message board which will be solely for people to send suggestions on my themes. i dont want other theme discussions to go there because its best to have a central area for all this theme info. That area being right here.

NY152
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 06:54 AM

Swiz, any update on how the theme revision is going?

Great work by the way.
<over-large signature edited by management>

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 7, 2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
<STRONG>Swiz, any update on how the theme revision is going?

Great work by the way.</STRONG>
Actually thus far I have been solely working on the website so once it is established I can concentrate on the themes(well, themes and the other websites I have lined up for work).
It should be up by possibly tonight but more likely saturday. My server is getting switched over by the ISP so I cant upload the new site .
I'll post here right when it is ready though so finally there will be a "hub" for theme info regarding my themes.
I hope to improve on the work.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 01:28 AM

swiz, I was wondering if you had any intentions (when you have the time) to covert the NEXT and SIMPLE X themes to .theme files eventually?
It would rock solid since often I alternate between the two...I'm sure I'm not the only one...2 of my Favorites for sure..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2002, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by FrediesFlintstones:
<STRONG>

Im glad to see that Apple has sold their Aqua GUI to some people. I must say that for designers (a huge portion of the mac professional community) the Aqua interface is way too visually intrusive. Even the sad attempt to cure this (Graphite) just won't do. Though I know this sounds weird, there is way to much information being communicated by the Aqua / Graphite GUI(s).

GUIs like BeOS or better yet, OS 9 were very good at being highly functional and unobtrusive by not saying, "Hey! Look at me! I'm beautiful and loud and have a very large talent!"</STRONG>
"..."

Hogwash. A theme with a huge orange bar across the top is going to be less visually intrusive than one that's mostly white?

I've heard this argument time and time again and it just doesn't make sense to me. When I'm working in photoshop (using the aqua theme in classic) my attention is on the canvas, not the edges of the screen. I hide the dock but otherwise standard Aqua is fine.

Most themes out there are meant to look prettier or more stylish than Aqua.

user_xyz_pdq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by OoklaTheMok:
<STRONG>

"..."

Hogwash. A theme with a huge orange bar across the top is going to be less visually intrusive than one that's mostly white?

I've heard this argument time and time again and it just doesn't make sense to me. When I'm working in photoshop (using the aqua theme in classic) my attention is on the canvas, not the edges of the screen. I hide the dock but otherwise standard Aqua is fine.

Most themes out there are meant to look prettier or more stylish than Aqua.</STRONG>
&lt;rant&gt;
OK...it may be "hogwash" to you. But to the 50 or so designers that I know they think other wise...
I think if you asked most desingers they would say it took them about a month to get over how flashy, animated, and generally visually intrusiive the Aqua/Graphite interfaces are.

The icons are photorealistic. This totally defeats the purpose of having an icon, which is to quickly deliver information about a file, folder or what ever. The photo stuff is just too much.

The argument for the transpearancies is that you can see through to the content on the window behind. This is just lame. Apple is just trying to make the hardware and the software sink visually. This has put a performance hit on everyones machines. We all love Apple hardware and software, but why is it that apple is willing trade in their super modern hardware speed for 1988 speeds($$$). These machines should be screeeaming!

I agree, it looks great! But hey, I have a nice G4 system that runs like a P2! WTF! It really makes me mad that apple has jumped into the same ol' "Oh, just upgrade your new hardware, and it will be all good.." thing that MicroSoft does.

10.1.3??? This was just made so G3 users got a speed boost. Apple made some promisses to the G3 users about OS X and didn't pan out. Well, apple saw legal heat, so they put some time into them. I say, remove all transpearancies, genies, flashy mumbo jumbo, and we all would be a lot happier.

Too much flash. Too little performance, too much visual BS. Most of the speed all of us are waiting for is rapped up in Aqua (Quartz?)...

&lt;/rant&gt;
Vader is my dad too.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by user_xyz_pdq:
<STRONG>

&lt;rant&gt;
OK...it may be "hogwash" to you. But to the 50 or so designers that I know they think other wise...
I think if you asked most desingers they would say it took them about a month to get over how flashy, animated, and generally visually intrusiive the Aqua/Graphite interfaces are.

The icons are photorealistic. This totally defeats the purpose of having an icon, which is to quickly deliver information about a file, folder or what ever. The photo stuff is just too much.

The argument for the transpearancies is that you can see through to the content on the window behind. This is just lame. Apple is just trying to make the hardware and the software sink visually. This has put a performance hit on everyones machines. We all love Apple hardware and software, but why is it that apple is willing trade in their super modern hardware speed for 1988 speeds($$$). These machines should be screeeaming!

I agree, it looks great! But hey, I have a nice G4 system that runs like a P2! WTF! It really makes me mad that apple has jumped into the same ol' "Oh, just upgrade your new hardware, and it will be all good.." thing that MicroSoft does.

10.1.3??? This was just made so G3 users got a speed boost. Apple made some promisses to the G3 users about OS X and didn't pan out. Well, apple saw legal heat, so they put some time into them. I say, remove all transpearancies, genies, flashy mumbo jumbo, and we all would be a lot happier.

Too much flash. Too little performance, too much visual BS. Most of the speed all of us are waiting for is rapped up in Aqua (Quartz?)...

&lt;/rant&gt;</STRONG>
I totally disagree with you.

Aqua is not the speed problem. Quartz not having real 2d hardware acceleration is.

Also, all that "visual BS" does make the total computing experience much more intuitive.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 10, 2002, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
<STRONG>swiz, I was wondering if you had any intentions (when you have the time) to covert the NEXT and SIMPLE X themes to .theme files eventually?
It would rock solid since often I alternate between the two...I'm sure I'm not the only one...2 of my Favorites for sure..</STRONG>
Thanks for the interest. I have actually juist posted the complete NeXT.theme file on the website. It includes an Aqua Restore.theme file for ALL of my themes. It IS the complete NeXT theme I had first created as a .pkg file, now available as a .theme.
SimpleX is going through an EXTENSIVE update, revitalization and overall will be a nicer theme. I created the first version before i really knew how theme parts worked with one another. It was like a public release of a training excercise. Some people like it and have asked for an update/ color variations/ fixes... SO, I am in the process of doing this. It is coming along well.
the website is finally up for the themes at http://swizcoremedia.com/osx/

The forum will be available later tonight. The BeOSX theme will be retrofitted with the BeOS desktop pattern (color) and a few other new resources.

Anyhow, all info regarding my themes is available on the site. If you want any other info which ismt opn the site, let me know and I will add it to it. Thanks again.
Swiz

JellyBeen
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 10:42 PM

Thanks swiz, will do..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

iBabo
Senior User
Mar 10, 2002, 11:39 PM

hey swiz i got this after installing your NeXT theme, and the aqua restorers have not taken it out...what can i do?

login
smile like you mean it.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 12:19 AM

This is so rediculously off topic that it should get its own thread but whatever.
[QB]

&lt;rant&gt;
the 50 or so designers that *I* know say they don't have much of a problem.(UI changes/muscle memory aside)

yup it took me about that long to learn the new key commands, get used to the dock, and learn to use that column view business more effectively but when someone changes everything from the ground up there is bound do be growing pains. Switching from mac to windows or to linux creates the same problem.

Ok, now you are just rehashing the old Tog rant. Not to say that he doesn't have a point, but its a minor one, IMO. *I* haven't had a problem with photorealistic icons, The applications I use day to day have recognizable icons that I can spot just as easily as before. For applications that I don't use day to day, I'm usually looking for a name before an icon anyway.

Well this is because software development and requirements move much faster than hardware speed advances go. New game comes out, pushes hardware to brink, new video cards come out to compensate, rinse and repeat.

then perhaps it would be better if we all ran OS 7.5.5? I'm pretty sure that bad boy would be cruisin on a G4! but then again you lose advances like memory management, etc etc etc. its called a 'trade-off'

Uhhhmmm I must have missed the 'special g3 user speed bump' comment in software update that day.

The answer to your conundrum is simple. just reinstall os 9 and call it a night. No one is holding a gun to your head, making you use X. 9 has worked for how many how many years, I'm sure you don't have a problem with it. SO you are using X, so there *must* be something that X has that would make you want to switch to it and something that is keeping you from switching back....perhaps new hardware is in order or just don't use X. Its actually simple.

Back on topic. Any ETA on that actual 'tabbed' ness of the BeOS? ie, right now its a simplified aqua with yellow tabs and a flat grey bar at the top, any promise of dynamically sized windowbars?

good work.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: godzookie2k ]

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 11, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by iBabo:
<STRONG>hey swiz i got this after installing your NeXT theme, and the aqua restorers have not taken it out...what can i do?

login</STRONG>
For some reason Duality isn't replacing those two files
( MacOSXart.tif, and loginpanel.tiff ).... I haven't had this problem with Duality 3.0. Are you using 3.0.1 by chance? This is actually the first incident of this I have heard of. I have tested this on both my machines just a moment ago and didn't have any trouble which is why I suspect it may be a Duality 3.0.1 issue but maybe not. Perhaps restart and then select the Aqua Restore again via Duality. Maybe it will process it properly with a fresh session.
I have also double and triple checked the info.plist of the theme and it is correct. Always seems to be some sort of bug to lick...

Regarding the tabbed BeOS theme. It wont be a long wait but right now my focus is on the SimpleX overhaul. Check swizcoremedia.com/osx/ for the quickest info on any updates.
Thanks.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 11, 2002, 05:13 AM

Swiz, I told you, it's because you named the file .tiff instead of .tif

Just rename the file and it will work.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 05:46 AM

remember! if you want the true beOS experience, delete all your useful applications...

-r.

Sine
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by OoklaTheMok:
<STRONG>

"..."

Not everyone has a long attention span as you

"ooOoh pretty colors"

Most themes out there are meant to look prettier or more stylish than Aqua.</STRONG>
I haven't seen a theme yet that was "prettier" than Aqua. Aqua is darn right pretty as it gets. (well except for the stripes IMHO)

Sine
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 06:27 AM

[QB]

&lt;rant&gt;
Yeah we should go back to having 16 color icons! I don't see how having Photo Realistic icons harm anything really. And yes I know about HIG.
Apple has always said OS X was the OS of the future. I am sure they meant future hardware
It really makes me mad that apple has jumped into the same ol' "Oh, just upgrade your new hardware, and it will be all good.." thing that MicroSoft does.
And every other software company does. I remember running OS 8 on my 6205. It ran slower than OS X does on my 350mhz G3. It's nothing new.
10.1.3??? This was just made so G3 users got a speed boost. Apple made some promisses to the G3 users about OS X and didn't pan out. Well, apple saw legal heat, so they put some time into them.
And Apple needed to give G3 users that speed boost. Don't poo poo it just because you have a G4.
I say, remove all transpearancies, genies, flashy mumbo jumbo, and we all would be a lot happier.
Really? Everyone? Really?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Mar 11, 2002, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
<STRONG>Swiz, I told you, it's because you named the file .tiff instead of .tif

Just rename the file and it will work.</STRONG>
I did. It works fine on every system I know of save this one. This is the first instance Ive been notified of since I updated it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules