Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to Benchmark a 17" PB?

How to Benchmark a 17" PB?
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 10:35 AM

I ordered one shortly after it was announced.

If I were to be so lucky as to get one early, how should I benchmark it so that it is credible and nobody cries foul like what has happened with the Barefeats benchmark?

I'm just curious...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2003, 10:43 AM

I'm not sure it is possible to get a set of benchmarks that everyone will agree one, but I for one would be more interested in everyday type of benchmarks. How long it takes to rip a CD using iTunes, how many frames per second you get in Quake 3, whatever. These seem a little bit easier to identify with.

Dan-the-Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 02:03 AM

Yep I agree. Benchmark programs reveal theory only. It is practical tasks that reveal the overall performance of a system (can any one say "megahertz myth"?).
3D games tend to give a good indication of overall system performance as they push heaps of data through memory/CPU/GPU, and to a lesser extent the HD bus.
Quake III 1.32 for OSX can be downloaded from http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx (assuming you have the original boxed copy) and you can run the four.dm_68 timedemo test.
You need to include what resolution, texture and colour depth you use, and what detail settings you used in order to make this mean anything.
I will do this when we eventually get one here for ourselves in the store, and post the results. we may have a wait though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules