Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]
Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 09:26 PM

Anyone else going to watch the new series? It premieres next Monday night. They have a preview of the series on right now on SciFi.

I was 9 years old when it premiered the first time.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 10:14 PM

Unsure. I'm a fan of Battelstar Galactica (before they found earth) but I'm not szure of the new version.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2003, 01:08 AM

I'm going to watch this show with no expectations.

Look, TV back in those days just died on the vine. It's a damn shame, but that's the reality of it. It would have been nice to have some closure to the show, but we didn't.

If this new show sucks, fine, I'll move on. If it's great, fine, I'll support it.

Mike (who own one of two known 35mm prints of the original 3-hour pilot)

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 07:09 AM

I used to be a huge BSG fan, and originally welcomed the new series.

Having read about it, and some of the casting decisions, I'm glad I won't be able to see it in the UK...

Starbuck and Boomer now women?! I am open minded, but it just doesn't seem right somehow.

Peace,

Marc

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2003, 07:45 AM

I just downloaded a couple of shows from the old series.

Damn, it was bad. Really, REALLY bad.

I remember it so fondly, but I guess the old shows look radically different to a seven-year-old.

-s*

entrox
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 08:30 AM

Battlestar Galactica RULED! I watched it religiously when I was young. Only in recent times have I realised that the series could have been named "Mormons in Space" or something like that. Ahh, the memories..

But this also reminds me of a Simpsons quote: "It's the mighty robots of Battlestar Galactica, versus the gay robots of Star Wars!"
Yup, the Cylons rocked

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 08:35 AM

I'm not a fan of the show, but one of my co-workers parents where....They named him Adama.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 08:51 AM

You can never go back
and visit the past...

Simple Empire...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 11:07 AM

I will watch it, but I am also skeptical of the gender changes. I loved the original series and watch it whenever I'm home and it comes on the SciFi channel. I'm afraid that this might turn out like Enterprise. Good intentions, but just doesn't live up to the original.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I'm afraid that this might turn out like Enterprise. Good intentions, but just doesn't live up to the original.
Let's see if the title music is any less atrocious.

Seriously, when I'm at home and Enterprise comes on, "that" song makes me switch channels instantly.

Stupid, stupid post-9/11 patriotic drivel.

Yuck.

-s*

SomeToast
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Seriously, when I'm at home and Enterprise comes on, "that" song makes me switch channels instantly.
Ah, that's where the power of the Tivo comes into play.

There's been quite a few of the actual episodes that I've liked.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2003, 10:00 PM

I own the whole series on DVD. Just bought it.

Finally, I can watch the original 2h20m premiere (that's 3 hours with commercials) in its original form. I haven't seen it in 25 years!

I disagree with the show being "really bad". Sure, some episodes suck, but I found the production values, music, and acting to be class A all the way. And the special effects still hold up (in spite of their repeated overuse from episode to episode).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 10:07 PM

I'm afraid that this might turn out like Enterprise.
There's only three things worth watching Enterprise for. Three Vulcan things.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
There's only three things worth watching Enterprise for. Three Vulcan things.

Those same 3 things are what caused me to start watching Voyager....

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 12:17 AM

Grade: A

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 12:38 AM

Just watched the new miniseries premiere and I thought it was atrocious. There wasn't anything wrong with the story the first time around: Why alter it?

The visuals were neat at times, and the sound was excellent mostly for what you didn't hear -- very good use of silence and near-silence.

But the script was awful, the casting highly questionable, and the lack of purpose and drama really made for a disappointment.

I loved the original series, especially the feature-length movie, which I feel is so much better than this.

GirlSplyph
Dec 9, 2003, 01:13 AM

My mother is a sci-fi nut, she ****in' made popcorn for the return of this show. I didn't see it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 01:25 AM

Ok, as I said, I was determined to watch this show with an open mind.

In a word: boring.

In no way am I comparing this to the original. This is purely my opinion of the show on its own merits.

The three of us watching it tonight agreed on one thing - we don't give a rat's ass about these characters. First off, it's very unoriginal. Son hates father, bad guys deceive genius who just happens to know how to get into the defense grid. Blah blah blah. Been there, done that, wore the T-shirt 20 years ago.

Another thing I despised was the documentary feel to it. It was hideously overdone. Far shot to REAL FAST ZOOM IN. Rinse, repeat.

And one thing to the Sci-Fi channel:

STOP SHOWING CLIPS FROM THE NEXT SEGMENT

It totally ruins the feel of the show. I frakking hate that. My wife was getting real annoyed with it. We've seen this done on other shows.

I think it's partially clever that the older ships weren't affected by the Cylon's jamming, but let's be serious here - how can you NOT network a ship into the fleet? I can't even fathom the protocol issues with a system like that. What do you do - send a shuttle every time someone needs a database update? (Sneakernet indeed!)

One of the biggest travesties of the show was how they spent all this time showing you the transport and all these other minor details, but they give ZERO time to any kind of feel about what's happening to the 12 Colonies. None. Nada. No shots of other Battlestars, no shots of the other colonies, nothing. All you get is some lame clip from their newscast and that's IT? Again, too much documentary, not enough story/drama. I want to feel like I CARE about what's happening to these people.

Anyone with Starbuck's attitude wouldn't last through to Lieutenant. "How's the wife?". Um...why?

Yes, "Encounter at Farpoint" sucked, but I'm not really liking the new BG. I'll watch tomorrow and see what happens afterwards.

--

Now, the comparison to the original.

The original was SO much better. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. You get a sense of a society from the minute the show opens. You get a better feel for the characters within the first 10 minutes. You see what's happening to the 12 colonies and how helpless the Galactica is to help them. THAT made the show great, and it's 25 years old. And the music was just TOP NOTCH. Was there even any music in this version? If there was it was damn forgettable.

The damn CGI in this show was nice, but something as simple as the Viper launch from the original just really put you IN the cockpit.

Seeing all those Battlestars in one shot gave the audience a sense of scope with this culture.

Baltar. Come on...BALTAR!

Original:

New show: Not sure yet. It's not over.

The new show has no soul.

Mike

ghotirsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 04:58 AM

I REPEAT:NOT a remake.
I am old enough to have seen the original show..I even watched Battlestar Galactica 1980.
This was a retelling. A "re-imagining" of the original idea.
Frac. Go read the chat transcripts, the Q &A with the creators.
Let go of the past.
The new BG absofreakinlutely ROCKS. My gf is going to have to record her Tuesday night shows cuz the TV is MINE tomorrow.
Of course, there is NOTHING I can say that will open the nay-sayers minds, but I stand my ground.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 07:28 AM

there is NOTHING I can say that will open the nay-sayers minds, but I stand my ground.
Don't even try to change anybody's minds. I enjoyed it, too. I remember the old show fondly, but I was a kid... So I went into this one with little to no real expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

This show isn't gonna change the world, but it was a good way to kill an evening. As for the sex changes, as the actress who now plays Starbuck says, "get over it." So all the top roles don't go to grizzled old men anymore. Good!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 07:37 AM

i liked the original and the new one, starbuck takes a little getting used to, but i don't mind boomer being a female

GRADE: B+
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by starman:
The damn CGI in this show was nice, but something as simple as the Viper launch from the original just really put you IN the cockpit.
Yeah, and in the original, you got to see that same exciting Viper launch over and over again!

And over. And over. And over. And over.

In fact, they only ever had the one, starman.

That impressed me so much as a kid, in fact, that when I first saw "Plan 9 from Outer Space", I couldn't help but think of the Viper launch every time that same stupid police car stopped in front of the same little forest on exactly the same sunny day, regardless of the time of night.

The original Battlestar Galactica is charming and soulful, but in an utterly trash way, IMHO.

Note that I'm not talking about the full-length feature films: I like those.

...at least the first one.

-s*

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by ghotirsd:
I REPEAT:NOT a remake.
I am old enough to have seen the original show..I even watched Battlestar Galactica 1980.
This was a retelling. A "re-imagining" of the original idea.
Frac. Go read the chat transcripts, the Q &A with the creators.
Let go of the past.
The new BG absofreakinlutely ROCKS. My gf is going to have to record her Tuesday night shows cuz the TV is MINE tomorrow.
Of course, there is NOTHING I can say that will open the nay-sayers minds, but I stand my ground.
What "rocks" about this show? Seriously. I can't think of one redeeming quality this show had. I was bored. My wife fell asleep. My nephew fell asleep. Yeah, I read the transcripts and I went into this show with NO expectations and WITHOUT comparing it to the original.

B-O-R-I-N-G

Mike

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 10:18 AM

Very suggestive...

Click-me : 1024x768

Simple Empire...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I read the transcripts and I went into this show with NO expectations and WITHOUT comparing it to the original.
Mike
Mike, no offense, but I find that hard to believe when, in your first post after the airing, you immediately compare the two shows.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

jcarr
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Note that I'm not talking about the full-length feature films: I like those.

...at least the first one.
As I recall, there was only one, and even that was just the three-part pilot recut and released in theaters as a money-grab for the studio.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 12:50 PM

Hopefully they replay it -- I set my VCR to the wrong channel. Doh!

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Mike, no offense, but I find that hard to believe when, in your first post after the airing, you immediately compare the two shows.
I wrote my reply in two segments - one on its own, one comparing it to the original.

Mike

jcarr
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 01:10 PM

Hopefully they replay it -- I set my VCR to the wrong channel. Doh!
It looks like they will re-air part one tonight just prior to part two.

If ever there was a time to have a DVD recorder, or better yet one of those new TiVo/DVD recorder units...
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 03:58 PM

I watched the originals all the time as a kid as well, but I have to say, so far I like the remake. I was a little upset be the last half an hour, commercials were 10 min long betwwen every 5 minutes of show. The ships look good and the idea is good (to me). Didn't care much for apollo, liked starbuck, and thought adama was really good. Still don't see how hey are going to work baltar in with the cylons (unless it's through banishment). Did NOT like the chick cylon or the moving red lights in the new cylon ships. As with any science fiction, you have to have suspension of disbelief for it to work, and that said...I really liked the whole idea of disabling the ship electronics in order to wipe out entire squadrons with only two ships. Also as another poster said, the lack of sound in space (most of the time) is somewhat realistic and well done , nice use of the drum soundtrack....I'd give it a B+
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 05:06 PM

I enjoyed the first episode of the new BG mini-series. I'm a fan of the old TV series, but I was aware that the new one was drastically changed so I didn't go into it expecting things to be very similar. It was an interesting production. Nothing earth shattering. Pretty typical stuff, but enjoyable entertainment nevertheless. I was pleasantly surprised that the special effects were actually very good. Not that cheesy crap that you usually see in a Sci-Fi Channel original production.

Having said that, I did have some issues with the casting decisions. I was disappointed that the producers' new "vision" for Battlestar Galactica doesn't seem to include any black people in "humanity". In the original series, both Colonel Tigh and Lieutenant Boomer were black, and they both had prominent roles. Given that this was in the late 1970s, that was pretty significant given the dearth of roles for black actors in Hollywood at the time .... especially in the sci-fi genre. So far the only black actor I've seen so far is the girl playing the communications officer. How very "Star Trek" in its tokenism! LOL

Anyway, overall I found it to be pretty interesting. I certainly plan on watching the finale.

OAW

Hous68
Dec 10, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by jcarr:
It looks like they will re-air part one tonight just prior to part two.

If ever there was a time to have a DVD recorder, or better yet one of those new TiVo/DVD recorder units...
They're going to replay both eps on SciFi on Sunday. 5pm EST, I believe.
Peace. Love. MacOSX.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 12:34 AM

Okay, that's it...the second part had me until the very end. I actually said "you've gotta be f*cking KIDDING ME!".

Twice.

Mike

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Dec 10, 2003, 12:58 AM

I have an EyeTV connected to my iMac 17".

I finished recording and editing the second half of the mini-series just now.

I have both parts 1 and 2, with no commercials in QuickTime format.

Both are 900 meg each (for 90 minutes).

Up for grabs on Acquisition.........

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
I have an EyeTV connected to my iMac 17".

I finished recording and editing the second half of the mini-series just now.

I have both parts 1 and 2, with no commercials in QuickTime format.

Both are 900 meg each (for 90 minutes).

Up for grabs on Acquisition.........
No thanks, I'd rather watch my high-quality DVDs.

Mike

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 02:38 AM

When I first heard about the remake, I wasn't interested.

But after watching it, I think I like it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 09:44 AM

How many parts to this whole series?

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 10:08 AM

Nobody knows. Just the 2-part mini-series right now. Ratings will determine if it's picked up as a series.

Mike

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 10:33 AM

Mike (who own one of two known 35mm prints of the original 3-hour pilot)
Torrent pls.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 10:34 AM

Uh, you can't torrent film, dude.

Mike

Lerkfish
Dec 10, 2003, 10:58 AM

I don't care, Whatever SciFi channel produces, it just makes me sad to think they STOPPED producing the Invisible Man, The Chronicle, and Farscape so they could make crap like Scared Crapless, Tremors, Crap that looks like documentaries but is really "Sightings", and an endless string of "D" grade horror knockoffs.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 12:00 PM

Uh, you can't torrent film, dude.
That's what telecines are for.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 12:05 PM

I was a huge BG fan back in the 80's. (Had all the fiction books and info books)

At first, I wasn't thrilled when I heard about the new show - female Starbuck and Boomer, no metal Cylons, etc.

After watching it...not a bad show. I had low expectations going into it, so it was hard to be too disappointed. Special effects were very good. It did need more action, but then again, they were trying to establish characters, so I could see where it might be slow.

I'd probably still watch it if it were a series.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 12:50 PM

I watched a little of the new BG. Didn't suck me in. The characters were almost as wooden as Star Wars episodes I and II. I couldn't develop any kind of feeling for the characters.

the special effects were ok, but that was about it. The story-line had some potential, but the characters aren't well developed and the dialogue is flat.

Had to change channels to watch an old South Park.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 04:28 PM

Ok. So I enjoyed the final episode of the new BG. But the ending sucked if that's all there's going to be. Now if they turn this into a weekly series then great. I'll definitely watch it. But since the second show ended with one helluva cliffhanger, it would be pretty stupid to just end it with that. Why would you tell a story with no ending or closure of any kind?

OAW

X_Ranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 04:38 PM

Saw GB, liked it. Hated the first GB.

The current pilot has Babylon 5 fingerprints all over it. Especially, the set design and special effects.

agentz
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 06:26 PM

Seeing as how there are no firm plans to show this new version in the UK at the moment, and I haven't gotten a copt down of BT yet, can someone please give me an idea what they've done to the theme please?? Pretty please?? Have they ruined it?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2003, 07:14 PM

No theme. Not even for the miniseries.

Mike

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by X_Ranger:
Saw GB, liked it. Hated the first GB.
Gattlestar Balactica?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Gattlestar Balactica?
HAhahahahahahah...Iwas just thinking the same thing!
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Forum Links
Forum Rules