Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 67)
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
People most want what they don't have? The cylons have an especially short history, so they get most turned on by pretending they have an ancient one. It's not them that's old, it's their god/temples/stories/whathaveyou. Makes sense to me.
So how could one see these new Cylons in the temple? Is there a god in Battlestar Galactica series?

Talk about deus ex machina heh.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Then the show will end by some planet being colonized, them screwing it up and colonizing another 12 planets.
Perhaps New Caprica already gets that roll.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 04:40 PM

Is there a god in Battlestar Galactica series?
I thought Razor established that the first hybrid was the Cylon God. He's dead now though but I am sure he resurrected somehow somewhere.

What I don't get is why the cylons think God created humanity.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
If Tai has known the Admiral for almost as long as the Cylons have been gone then they sure 'evolved' and came up with 'a plan' FAST! Unless the final 5 existed before the Cylons, (or possibly even before the humans).
Nope, if you remember in Razor during the first Cylon was (45 years ago) the war ended when they first Hybrid was created and the Cylons made a run for it and hid for what everyone thought was 45 years.

In actuality they could have made the next Hybrid 2.0 the next day and planted them on the colonies so technically anyone who has been around in 45 years could be a Cylon. If they look older than 45 like the Kernel they could have just been born/introduced already at an older age.

Boomer had memories of growing up and the records showed that her family was all killed in a fire 4 years ago. We are only assuming that they skinjobs have only been on the colonies for 4 years based on that when they could have been up to more on the colonies for the past 45 years.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 05:07 PM

So how could one see these new Cylons in the temple?
IIRC, only Lucy Lawless saw any new Cylons in the temple, and she was pretty far down the crazy hole at that point. Even plain old humans are adept at seeing what they expect to see, and seeing patterns where none exist. Add in that her internal consciousness was fighting her "programming" to not think about the final 5, and then there's any number of ways to explain what she thought she saw, accurate or not.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 05:35 PM

By the sounds of it from the prequel Caprica Cylons started off in HUMAN form not tin cans. Hmmm, the Final 5 are starting to make more sense.

Exclusive: Caprica casting info revealed - TV Squad

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 06:01 PM

What bothers me most is the numbering. We know that numbers 3, 5, 6 and 8 are among the original 7, which means the final 5 can't be the "first" 5 in series nor the last, nor the evens or odds. WTF? I'm hoping the name of this week's episode means it will shed some light, but I don't expect it will

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
"Tai"? Please, it's Tigh.

Why is it that pretty much everyone but you two are able to follow along with the story just fine? Where are you guys confused?
That's hilarious! Explain it to me and whoever the other guy is that doesn't understand everything please, smart azz. And how do you know how Thai's name is spelled anyway? Did you read his nametag? Do you memorize the credits? If you want to know where I'm confused read the last 83 pages. I've seen every episode in order (including the original series) and I have no idea what's going on. Who's the imaginary chick that Baltar is always talking to?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 09:48 PM

I've seen every episode in order (including the original series) and I have no idea what's going on. Who's the imaginary chick that Baltar is always talking to?
Same here.

and good question.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 12:01 AM

I think it's spelled Thai and that he makes awesome panang gai. Or maybe I'm hungry. Heading up the street to Loa Village before they close. brb mmmm spring rolls
Nemo me impune lacesset

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 12:20 AM

Who's the imaginary chick that Baltar is always talking to?
She's a mental projection of the original Six that Baltar was sleeping with back on Caprica. Obviously she isn't actually the same character, since that Six has been reincarnated and is clearly not living in his head. Beyond the fact that she's a hot chick who lives in Baltar's head and seems to have a purpose for him, we don't really know exactly who or what she is.

Caprica Six (the physical one Baltar was with) also sees an imaginary Baltar who serves basically the same purpose.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
She's a mental projection of the original Six that Baltar was sleeping with back on Caprica. Obviously she isn't actually the same character, since that Six has been reincarnated and is clearly not living in his head. Beyond the fact that she's a hot chick who lives in Baltar's head and seems to have a purpose for him, we don't really know exactly who or what she is.

Caprica Six (the physical one Baltar was with) also sees an imaginary Baltar who serves basically the same purpose.
Not to mention some sort of head leoben with Starbuck.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I think it's spelled Thai and that he makes awesome panang gai. Or maybe I'm hungry. Heading up the street to Loa Village before they close. brb mmmm spring rolls
You're hungry. He's Saul Tigh.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 12:24 PM

woosh!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You're hungry. He's Saul Tigh.
Actually I'm pretty sure he's Psaul Thai. It's in the latest podcast.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure he's Psaul Thai. It's in the latest podcast.
Have you gotten the podcast for last week's episode? I haven't

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 06:57 AM

The same purpose? The imaginary 6 is clearly what she says, and angel from God steering him to pit the Cylons and humans to fight eachother with nobody ever winning at least until they get to Earth. Like a rooster fight between man and technology. Is that what the imaginary Baltar is doing too?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 10:47 AM

So as a last hurrah for BSG on HD DVD, I ordered it again today.

At US$70 for the set, the audio sync issue on the miniseries was a deal killer. However, I've ordered it for about half that price (shipped).

The AUS version has more traditional packaging, not that odd one with the North American version. I don't really care either way about the packaging, but some people didn't like the wonky US packaging.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So as a last hurrah for BSG on HD DVD, I ordered it again today.

At US$70 for the set, the audio sync issue on the miniseries was a deal killer. However, I've ordered it for about half that price (shipped).

The AUS version has more traditional packaging, not that odd one with the North American version. I don't really care either way about the packaging, but some people didn't like the wonky US packaging.
I just ordered the UK set from dvd.co.uk. I had ordered the AU set from ezdvd, but after thinking about it I realized how much I didn't like the thought of a great big Rating label being on the front cover. And the UK cover is nicer looking anyways so I dropped a few bucks more on it.

The AU set was $31.66 + $9.50 (AU) and the UK set was 17.99 + 3.00 GBP. So, not much more.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 10:26 PM

I still think they are being really dumb by not offering up all the seasons on Blu-ray now. Who's going to want to buy them all after the show's over and they know they end. The suspense is the biggest part of the whole Battlestar Galactica effect. Only offering the 1st season of a great special effects show (that most people can't even see on HDTV) on a dead format??? I literally think they must be idiots. I'd release the first three seasons as a box set with room for the last season in it and pump out the final disks as the episodes air.... every 4 shows or so.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2008, 02:04 PM

Well, I watched this weeks episode (scifi.com is showing them in advance every friday) and I have to say I suddenly find what's going on with the Cylons far more interesting than what's going on with the humans.

Spoiler of sorts:

Again a good episode, but I'm still not hooked back in. I found myself clipping my nails during the episode rather than being glued to the screen as with seasons past. Maybe the interesting new Cylon development will be enough to carry me through, but if they split the season between this year and next I'm out.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Have you gotten the podcast for last week's episode? I haven't
No one

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 05:20 PM

but if they split the season between this year and next I'm out.
They are so give up now. See ya.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2008, 05:34 PM

... if they split the season between this year and next I'm out.
Which they will probably do, given the recent popularity of long breaks mid-season and that they probably don't want to run into re-run season.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They are so give up now. See ya.
Is that official? I've only seen it as speculation, has an announcement been made? If so I am indeed out. This is getting ridiculous and it's probably for the best they are canning the series after this season. If we had to wait for the fifth season for all to be resolved it'd be sometime in 2012.
Nemo me impune lacesset

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 05:48 PM

Is that official? I've only seen it as speculation, has an announcement been made? If so I am indeed out. This is getting ridiculous and it's probably for the best they are canning the series after this season. If we had to wait for the fifth season for all to be resolved it'd be sometime in 2012.
Well I don't know if they said it officially yet but I do know they are filming the second half of the season now and RDM said after post production the earliest they would be ready is Nov.

So no way in hell can they stretch out 10 episodes between now and nov so yes they are going to have to split it.

Anyway, guess you won't be watching next week. Funny that you stick around for 52 of 70 episodes from the series and then bail but alright.. guess you got better things to do.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 09:06 PM

Why does that make such a big difference to you? I mean, I actually like the show and I'm not upset about it. I doubt Ron Moore wanted the writers strike in the middle of his last season.
Chuck
___

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2008, 09:37 PM

It's not that I'm upset about it by any means. Annoyed would be an accurate term, but for me that's not really the issue either. As I said earlier in the thread, I have a rather short attention span. A break of over a year between seasons, not to mention some rather lackluster episodes last season went a long way towards killing my enthusiasm for the show. I tried watching all the back episodes on universalHD on the run-up to season 4, hoping to recapture my interest in the show. I haven't set the DVR to record these last two episodes, instead just watching the webcasts. Last season I watched every episode at least twice during the week it aired. Now I'm having a tough time watching them once. I was hoping for a really strong first couple of episodes to hook me back in, and although I think they were good, they weren't enough for me. I really think these unduly long breaks between seasons are BS
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2008, 11:11 PM

That was boring.

Well, the Cavell thing was a bit interesting, but the rest of it all seemed like filler, even though they were settings things up.

P.S. It's pretty likely anyone casually watching the show (missing some episodes here and there) wouldn't know what the hell was going on in that episode. It was so disjointed, despite being slow and boring at the same time.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2008, 12:02 AM

That was boring.

Well, the Cavell thing was a bit interesting, but the rest of it all seemed like filler, even though they were settings things up.

P.S. It's pretty likely anyone casually watching the show (missing some episodes here and there) wouldn't know what the hell was going on in that episode. It was so disjointed, despite being slow and boring at the same time.
I have to agree, the Cylons were somewhat intriguing in this episode, and I don't think I've ever really thought that before over the course of the show. Well, that's not entirely true, Al has always been the most interesting humanoid Cylon to me, and I really hope the last model is Ziggy and that Starbuck is acting all wonky because Sam can't figure out how to set things right and jump out of her. Maybe that's too much to ask. But the Raiders have always been my favorite, ever since the Scar episode.

The centurions have always been a disappointment when compared to the old series. Yes, they look bad ass in that CGI sorta way, but I never liked them being mindless drones. It made it difficult to equate them with the hierarchy of the old show. It was easy to imagine the skin jobs being the next evolution of the glowy-head Cylons of old but the centurions sure took a step back in the brains department when compared against their old-timey counterparts. I kind of dig the idea that they aren't retarded, but physically kept from being self-aware by hardware and when that's removed, the first thing they do is get pissed. For probably the first time in the show the Cylons are actually interesting.

Of course that's a matter of opinion, some might have found them interesting, I mean outside of the normal speculation about their archetypes and what not, but personally I always found their beliefs and plans pretty blah. Even when they were on New Caprica they just weren't that interesting to me. With the exception of feral raiders that is, I really really liked the idea of that.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Apr 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2008, 12:03 AM

Meh. Not very interesting tonight.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2008, 12:09 AM

Maybe the writers' strike was a good thing. They seemed to be struggling somewhat with the first half of season 4. Or at least with the first 2 episodes anyway.

Perhaps the "rethinking" for the second half of season 4 was for the best...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 12:45 AM

I loved Tigh's line about Baltar being good at lying in a prison cell and lying in a woman.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 02:41 AM

Holy cow that was awesome! I said from season 1 that I saw a Cylon Civil war coming but I thought it would be between skinjobs and not Centurions that now have free will.

That Baltar seeing Baltar is also a cool story development.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 03:19 AM

That was an interesting episode. I thought the Cylon that was standing with the machine Cylons was archived.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
That was an interesting episode. I thought the Cylon that was standing with the machine Cylons was archived.
No that was 6 with a new hairdo not Diana as she is still boxed.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2008, 04:01 AM

Maybe the writers' strike was a good thing. They seemed to be struggling somewhat with the first half of season 4. Or at least with the first 2 episodes anyway.
They seemed? I think they actually seem to be struggling. That phase isn't over yet.

I agree with your comments on this episode. Nothing to add to that really.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2008, 05:03 AM

Holy cow that was awesome! I said from season 1 that I saw a Cylon Civil war coming but I thought it would be between skinjobs and not Centurions that now have free will.

That Baltar seeing Baltar is also a cool story development.
I'm with Sprinkles on this one. I had some problems with the last season just like everyone else, but so far this season has come out guns a-blazing and I'm loving it.

Also, Katee Sackhoff's performance as crazy/prophetic Starbuck is really good. It could have been totally grating, but she's pulling it off.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Apr 12, 2008 at 05:09 AM. )
Chuck
___

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 01:00 PM

Well last season when they made casual/standalone episodes for the here and there crowd you guys were all pissed off over that also.

I'm guessing since this is the LAST damn season they aren't looking to bring in new viewers and are wisely giving the true fans who have stuck in for 4 years what they want to see. That is why RDM mentioned that they aren't doing stand alone episodes just one long story arc for the whole season. I'm happy as hell about that and so far they are doing a perfect job with what I have seen so far. I couldn't be happier.

On a side note my friend has an audition for a writers position for BSG but from what we know the writing is already done for the whole season so we are guessing that it is actually for Caprica instead.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 01:11 PM

I'm with Sprinkles on this one. I had some problems with the last season just like everyone else, but so far this season has come out guns a-blazing and I'm loving it.

Also, Katee Sackhoff's performance as crazy/prophetic Starbuck is really good. It could have been totally grating, but she's pulling it off.
Agreed.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2008, 10:02 AM

Well last season when they made casual/standalone episodes for the here and there crowd you guys were all pissed off over that also.
Maybe some were. I was just pissed off because so many of the episodes were bad, standalone or not.

I haven't been overly impressed this year either, but these first two episodes haven't totally sucked either so there's hope...

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2008, 08:38 PM

i want BSG on blu-ray!!!!!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
i want BSG on blu-ray!!!!!
Tell the idiots running Universal. Even when they were HD exclusive for no good reason all they could muster up after 2 years was season 1 of BSG in a shitty box with the audio out of sync.

Not to mention all the drama they pulled with Apple and the iTMS.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 11:33 PM

Well, that's not entirely true, Al has always been the most interesting humanoid Cylon to me, and I really hope the last model is Ziggy and that Starbuck is acting all wonky because Sam can't figure out how to set things right and jump out of her.
Hahah! That made my night.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 16, 2008, 07:14 PM

It's interesting that none of them is asking an important question: why was there a power failure at the Ionian Nebula? That power interruption prevented the civilian ships from jumping any time soon, so it was responsible for all the losses in the battle.

I've come up with two reasons for the failure:
1) To force the fleet to stick around long enough to definitely pick up Starbuck.
2) To shut down all the DRADIS systems. So no one will see the ship that unloaded Kara's new Viper. Presumably with her still unconscious at the time. Power was down for a few minutes, long enough to jump in (or uncloak), unload Starbuck, then jump away (or recloak).

Conclusions:
• The Final Five (model lines, not the specific units Tigh, Tyrol, Foster, & Andurs) have a weapon that can suppress Tylium reactions. Or dampen the operation of a standard Colonial engine part, like a reaction regulator. Some standard part that will be present in every Colonial engine.

• Kara's viper was replaced because the old one was damaged too much during the pickup operation. So rather than try to fix it and maybe have some clues slip through, they gave her a factory-new one. It's obvious the viper was changed, but no further data slips through.

• Remember Shelley Godfrey from Season 1? The Six that vanished from Galactica after turning into a corridor. The guards came around the corner seconds later; she was gone. Now, someone showed up with a medical treatment that brought a kid out of a coma at just the right time. Someone no one noticed before, and that no one saw leave.

It looks to me like the Final Five have a few other technical tricks they didn't share with the visible 7. Like the ability to Jump a person on/off a ship. Probably from short range only. ie - they've had a cloaked ship near/within the fleet for some time. Probably where the projections come from for Head Six & Head Baltar.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2008, 07:23 PM

I've been saying since early season 2 that I think there will be a Cylon civil war and the upcoming episodes makes it look like I get my wish.

I am also hoping that a couple basestars team up and follow the fleet and help protect them from other Cylons. It will be nice to see basestars sustain damage over time as they always look so pristine.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 01:33 PM

Tonight's episode is being streamed every hour from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, ET.

700K Stream | "The Ties That Bind" | Battlestar Galactica | SCIFI.COM
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 11:20 PM

I think BSG is great again. I'm glad I didn't stop watching after the finale of last season like I said I was going to. I'm very impressed. I bet the Centurions kill all the humanoid Cylons and go grab Baltar and make him their leader like the old show. This has all happened before.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 19, 2008, 12:27 AM

I'm finding that what's going on with the Cylons is far more interesting than what's going on with the fleet at the moment. So does this mean that the Ones have effectively crushed the Six's rebellion?

Cally really must have been out of it with those pills. Any sensible person would have ran to the admiral to rat out the skinjobs.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2008, 12:40 AM

Anyone else catch the really obvious star trek easter egg in this episode
Perhaps I am too much of a Trekie but it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules