Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Artist won't show in iTunes 'Browse by Artist/Album' drop down

Artist won't show in iTunes 'Browse by Artist/Album' drop down
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 05:27 PM

I just recently bought the new CD by Alanis Morissette, ripped it to AAC 160kbs and I can see it in my library. When I hit the browse-eye gadget to open the browse interface, the album will list on the right, but I can't find 'Alanis Morissette' anywhere on the left in my artist listing. It got the track info from the CDDB database just fine though and the artist field for each track is indeed filled.

What's going on? Anybody know why iTunes won't list the artist? It's not in the Ms, the As, and so on.

SOLUTION

Ok, answering my own question since I figured it out right before pressing the submit button. Just for fun, I clicked on 'compilations' item in the artist listing, and the Alanis album was in THERE. The CDDB database lists her album as a compilation, and therefore, EXCLUDED it from showing up in the Artist listing separately, which I was expecting.

I've found more albums I have to fix by selecting all songs on an album, and group editing the combo box setting 'part of a compilation = NO'.

Figured I'd let everybody else know in case they had the same confusing thing happen.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 05:37 PM

You could also just tell iTunes not group compilations together. That way all artists, even those only present in compilations, are shown in the Artist column.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2004, 05:42 PM

Oh! So THAT's what that preference option was for. Thanks mate!

With humility, I am now in the know.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 05:59 PM

Don't feel bad. I like having compilations grouped together. The real problem here is incompetant people submitting track listings to CDDB with the "compilation" checkbox erroneously checked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules