Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev c 12in DVD issue?

Rev c 12in DVD issue?
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 10:40 PM

So I'm here in Japan. I have a DVD I bought, its region 2, my 12in 1.33 rev c Powerbook is region 1. So I tried using several free program to break the css encryption (which is legal here in japan), except my DVD drive keeps giving me read errors. I even tried coping files directly off the DVD, read errors. Oddly my friends iBook has no issue with this.

Long story short, has anyone else had issues with their rev c Powerbook's dvd drive? I have the DVD-R drive, and so far have had no issues with it.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 11:20 PM

Heres the odd thing, I tried a different Japanese DVD and got the same results. Go figure. I then tried an American DVD, and no problem. Anyone have ideas?

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 08:50 AM

Anyone know why ANY Japanese DVD I try I can not extract the video files by any means?

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 12:31 AM

So I randomly found out that its a firmware issue with my drive. Newer DVD drives on the Powerbooks won't let you copy the VIDEO_TS folder off of the DVD unless the region matches.

Does anyone know of a firmware hack for the 1.33 ghz 12in Powerbook Superdrive, model number UJ-825. Any help would be great.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 03:13 AM

I thought using one of those rippers like Mac The Ripper would do the trick? The only time a VIDEO_TS folder can be copied straight from a DVD is if it is an unprotected/unencrypted DVD. Doing a straight copy from most commercial DVDs simply won't do the trick.

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
So I randomly found out that its a firmware issue with my drive. Newer DVD drives on the Powerbooks won't let you copy the VIDEO_TS folder off of the DVD unless the region matches.

Does anyone know of a firmware hack for the 1.33 ghz 12in Powerbook Superdrive, model number UJ-825. Any help would be great.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by wilsonng:
I thought using one of those rippers like Mac The Ripper would do the trick? The only time a VIDEO_TS folder can be copied straight from a DVD is if it is an unprotected/unencrypted DVD. Doing a straight copy from most commercial DVDs simply won't do the trick.
Nope, I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing will extract the VIDEO_TS folder. A comment on Cult of Mac blog said that thew newer Powerbooks won't let you get the Video_TS folder if its a different region code.

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/

Thus I need a region free hack for my drive.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 09:21 AM

Download VLC and use that to play the DVD. IIRC, it is region agnostic.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 09:02 PM

A more flexible and a bit more expensive solutiopn is to use an external USB 2.0 or FireWire DVD-R drive.

Prices for DVD-R burners are certainly very low. I have a combo drive in my PB 12" so having an external DVD-R allows me to share the DVD-R drive with my TiBook and my wife's iBook.

Nope, I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing will extract the VIDEO_TS folder. A comment on Cult of Mac blog said that thew newer Powerbooks won't let you get the Video_TS folder if its a different region code.

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/

Thus I need a region free hack for my drive.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
Download VLC and use that to play the DVD. IIRC, it is region agnostic.
Man, I've TRIED VLC. Was my second guess. I still get the read errors.

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 09:02 AM

You will not be able to rip or play out of region DVDs in any Matshita UJ-815, 816 or 825 drive unless you flash it with a region free firmware. Problem is there is not one available for the 825 yet.

Keep an eye here and here for one.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2004, 10:06 AM

Man, I've TRIED VLC. Was my second guess. I still get the read errors.
What about DVDBackup?

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
What about DVDBackup?
That won't work either. I need a firmware update! Curse you region codes! Curse you!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules