Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAID gone from Desktop

RAID gone from Desktop
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 01:20 PM

My RAID array has vanished from my Desktop of my DP1.25 PowerMac. I installed to 80Gig HD's in a RAID Array Stripe 0 about a year ago. The RAID Icon vanished about a week ago. I've run Disk Utility and it still shows the RAID Volume. I ran both Verify and Repair Disk which both Fail after Cheking File Catalog and returns the error message "Invalid Key Length" and "Volume Check Failed"

I've checked the connectors and verified both HD's are powered and running. This happenned once before about 3 months ago but then it inexplicably reappeared.

Any ideas?
How can I verify it's adrive problem or problem with my MAC(It's still under warrenty if thats the case.)

Can I move the drives to another Computer(I have a PC with RAID ability) and gain access to the data?

While the loss of the Data is not a disaster it is inconvenient and will take some time to reconstruct.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 02:05 PM

Since it gets though checking the file catalog I would guess that it is seeing both drives, so something in the data hierarchy is hosed... Once you have corruption like this in RAID 0 you have usually lost the volumes. This is why you stay away from RAID 0 except for scratch disks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2005, 03:38 PM

Run DiskWarrior. It just sounds like the data on the array is corrupted, but the array itself is not "broken".

tooki

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 09:13 PM

I just remembered I have an old version of Norton Utilites, will Norton Disk Doctor do the Trick? It's version 7.0 which is not compatible with OS 10.3.X but I'm going to Macworld tomorrow where I'm sure I can find an Upgrade. If not I'll try and find Diskwarrior there from one of the Exhibitors.

Originally posted by tooki:
Run DiskWarrior. It just sounds like the data on the array is corrupted, but the array itself is not "broken".

tooki

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
I just remembered I have an old version of Norton Utilites, will Norton Disk Doctor do the Trick? It's version 7.0 which is not compatible with OS 10.3.X but I'm going to Macworld tomorrow where I'm sure I can find an Upgrade. If not I'll try and find Diskwarrior there from one of the Exhibitors.
No! No! Stay away from Norton if you value your data!!

Wait until you secure a copy of Disk Warrior.

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 01:20 AM

Well, I got Diskwarrior 3.02 from Macworld today(good Price) I just got home and ran it on my RAID. 'Durn computer went to sleep during the process and I can't wake it up. I'm in a quandry now, I can hear disk activity, but, do I risk interrupting the repair by doing a forced reboot? Should I wait a while and hope diskwarrior is still running in the background? How long should I wait?
Hmm?

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 02:24 AM

I brokedown after a couple hours and forced a reboot. I booted off the Diskwarrior CD and by some miracle the RAID disk came up as available to rebuild. So I chose to rebuild it, the drama continues...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2005, 03:07 AM

They don't call it Norton Disk Doctor Kevorkian for nothing.

DiskWarrior is definitely the way to go.

tooki

JohnM15141  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 12:13 PM

Okay, final report:

Once I got around the sleep issue, I was able to run Diskwarrior uninterrupted and it successfully repaired my Directory! My RAID HD is now back on my Desktop, I've backed up the Data and now all is well. Thanks for the advice, and I will thank the Alsoft dudes at Macworld today.

On a side note, I booted off the Diskwarrior CD and had it check my Startup disk, Lo' and Behold' there was trouble a'brewin there too! So Disk Warrior fixed some missing File Structures and then optimized my Directories, Cool!

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:18 PM

moral: anyone who doesn't own a copy of DiskWarrior is asking for trouble to come knocking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules