Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help with Applescript

Help with Applescript
faragbre967
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 07:11 PM

First off, if I got the wrong forum sorry mods.

Here's the problem, every time I login or startup my Logitech mouse tracking setting goes all the way up. I have to go to System Preferences, open Keyboard & Mouse, change the mouse tracking speed to something other than 4 and then put it back to 4. Is there a way to do this in Applescript and if so can someone write it for me?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 07:54 PM

Is Logitech aware of this "bug"?

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
Is Logitech aware of this "bug"?
I would hope so. I've told them and so have other people, it's also all over versiontracker.com. They don't even officially support 10.3.7

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2005, 06:37 AM

Yup - I have the same problem.

I just live with it and hadn't really looked into it. I assumed it was a problem with OSX actually, although it sounds like the blame lies at logitech's door!
12" Rev B PB

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 08:21 AM

Technically - wrong forum. (I'd suggest the developer forum)

Anyway: you'll want to use UI scripting - Apple used to have an example on the APplescript site that shows how to manipulate a prefpane - but I can't find it.

here's something similar to get you started-

Code:
tell application "System Preferences" activate set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess" end tell tell application "System Events" if UI elements enabled then tell tab group 1 of window � "Universal Access" of process "System Preferences" click button 4 � (* may be "Set Display to Grayscale" or "Set Display to Color" *) end tell else tell application "System Preferences" activate set current pane � to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess" display dialog � "UI element scripting is not enabled. Check \"Enable access for assistive devices\"" end tell end if end tell delay 2 tell application "System Preferences" quit end tell
You will find the UI Element inspector useful:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/02.html

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Technically - wrong forum. (I'd suggest the developer forum)

Anyway: you'll want to use UI scripting - Apple used to have an example on the APplescript site that shows how to manipulate a prefpane - but I can't find it.

here's something similar to get you started-

Code:
tell application "System Preferences" activate set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess" end tell tell application "System Events" if UI elements enabled then tell tab group 1 of window � "Universal Access" of process "System Preferences" click button 4 � (* may be "Set Display to Grayscale" or "Set Display to Color" *) end tell else tell application "System Preferences" activate set current pane � to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess" display dialog � "UI element scripting is not enabled. Check \"Enable access for assistive devices\"" end tell end if end tell delay 2 tell application "System Preferences" quit end tell
You will find the UI Element inspector useful:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/02.html
That should help. Thanks!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules