Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is someone accessing my Airport network?

Is someone accessing my Airport network?
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 11:15 PM

I've got a Cable Modem Connected to my AirPort Extreme Base Station that I access with my Powermac through an Ethernet Hub. I also access it wirelessly with my powerbook. I also have a second APExtreme Base bridged to it for my TIVO and Cable Box.

I have the Airport Base set to only allow access to my Powerbook and bridged AP Base MAC addresses. So the only things I have turned on are access control and WEP for security. I tried creating a closed network but it disrupted my bridge. So my Net still appears to anyone with a 802.11g. (I haven't tried Radius yet, I don't know if it will allow bridging.)

Lately, with all my computers off and no activity on the bridged Airpot, I've noticed a lot of activity on my Cable Modem and main Base Station. How can I tell if someone else is accessing my connection, or if it's just the Cable modem pinging Comcast?
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2005, 06:53 PM

Enable MAC access control, switch from WEP to WPA and change your password every month. That should take care of any sucker wanting to use you connection.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules