Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just got a PC for school, need help

Just got a PC for school, need help
faragbre967
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 02:48 AM

So I just bought a Dell laptop for school and I was wondering about a few things.
1. I have XP Home on there now, but I'm gonna buy and install Pro at school because they sell it to students for $10.00. If I install/copy things now am I going to have to do it again when I upgrade, or is it like upgrading Mac OS X?
2. I love Little Snitch on my Mac, just makes me feel a lot better knowing nothing connects that I don't personally give the OK to. Is there something like this for Windows?
3. What's the best data CD burning software for Windows. It came with some Sony POS that I don't really like, I've heard of Nero but I don't know if it's any good. I'm going to use iTunes for music.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 03:12 AM

1. You're gonna have to do it again. Apps on Windows are not as portable across installs and locations as they are on the Mac (and the Mac is far from perfect on this front).

2. Yeah, there's any number of software firewalls. Try Kerio.

3. Nero is what most people seem to use, and it tends to come with drives. I have yet to see any data CD burning software that I care for, however, on either platform. There may be something built into XP itself that could serve your needs.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 03:18 AM

I hate when I spend 10 min on a post and IE ****s up on me and I lose it

Anyways

You have 3 options

You can update from Home to Pro with the less problems. You wont lose anything, files and settings and programs

You can Install a New copy of Windows XP Pro over the old install, you wont lose files and most programs but you will lose personal settings and need to install some drivers.

Third you can format your hard drive and install a new copy of Windows XP Pro. You will lose your files, settings, programs and need to install drivers.

This is assuming what the school sells is the full version and not just a upgrade.

I like option 3 most because you get ride of all the sony crap.

For firewalls and protection I like Zone Alarm because its good and free, the built in windows one is ok but not as good as the other products. Norton Personal Firewall is good too.

If you decide to install any fresh copy of Windows, format or not make sure you are behind a Router and your computer isnt set to DMZ. Download the new virus defenitions and when you finish installing Windows install your Anti Virus software and update it before you plug into the internet. Then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install ALL updates and patchs. A unprotected system takes less then 5 minutes to get infected once plugged into the Internet.

For burning software I like Roxio and Nero.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 03:19 AM

Cool man thanks. I guess I'll try Nero to see if I like it. Should I just borrow a friend's XP Pro install CD, install it, and then wait to put the CD key in until I get mine? I remember there being a 30 day period where you didn't need a CD key.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 03:21 AM

Also note that if you install XP Pro you lose your phone tech support from Sony as they only support the Version of OS that came with the machine. But its worth it cuz there phone support sucks and you can get better help here.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by faragbre967
Cool man thanks. I guess I'll try Nero to see if I like it. Should I just borrow a friend's XP Pro install CD, install it, and then wait to put the CD key in until I get mine? I remember there being a 30 day period where you didn't need a CD key.
NO because the CD Key you get might not be valid on your friends copy!

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 11:01 AM

Win XP Pro is Win XP Pro basically no matter what isn't it? The copy my friend has is the full version (not upgrade) and the one my school sells is the full version. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 01:16 PM

In XP you can burn data CDs right from the Desktop just like OSX.

For music, video or other stuff you can use Roxio or Nero. I have a very strong preference for Nero but be warned that the default settings are pretty lame and much of the program is very technical so it can seem a bit daunting.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Aug 13, 2005, 03:30 PM

OK thanks for the replies everyone its been really helpful. Hopefully I can get as much out of this Dell as I did with all the macs I've had in the past.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2005, 08:43 PM

OK thanks for the replies everyone its been really helpful. Hopefully I can get as much out of this Dell as I did with all the macs I've had in the past.
I hear you'll get even more out of them. Why the hours you'll spend cleaning off spyware, updating windows, and with Symantec and McAfee switching to a fee based virus service instead of a one-purchase software solution...

It's all just fun, fun, fun!

On a serious note, software firewalls suck. Get a hardware firewall, they can't contract viruses and mysteriously change your settings around.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 08:46 PM

Don't forget to get Spyware, Addaware, virus, trojan software protection. It something that mac people don't have to worry about, but it's a necessity on the windows side.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2005, 08:49 PM

Athens, he said it's a Dell, not a Sony.

As noted above an "upgrade" installation of XP Pro over Home will be less hassle and reduce (maybe to zero) the issues you may have to deal with regarding what you've already installed. If you haven't had it long, there's probably no problem with doing it that way.

DO NOT SKIP INSTALLING A GOOD ANTIVIRUS PACKAGE!!!!! Your school probably provides one for free-INSTALL IT NOW. The bad guys target Windows platforms because of their ubiquity, so you will be vulnerable if you don't use a good package. (Macs aren't immune to viruses as such, they're just less easily compromised and with a smaller market share, a nasty virus on Macs won't do nearly the damage a milder virus would on Windows machines.)

I've had Dell laptops for several years, and as long as you don't do what they show in those awful "dorm life" commercials, you'll be fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 10:02 PM

You got a PC laptop and you post on a Mac forum for assistance with it?

Why did you get a PC? /me pukes
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:26 PM

Win XP Pro is Win XP Pro basically no matter what isn't it? The copy my friend has is the full version (not upgrade) and the one my school sells is the full version. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Because the algorithms used are not the same for all full versions, different batches use different product key algorithms. I can buy a XP Pro CD, a month later another one from another shipment batch and the key from the month before wont work.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
In XP you can burn data CDs right from the Desktop just like OSX.

For music, video or other stuff you can use Roxio or Nero. I have a very strong preference for Nero but be warned that the default settings are pretty lame and much of the program is very technical so it can seem a bit daunting.
Media Player can also burn Music CD's and it isnt that bad either. Just right click your music in explorer (Windows GUI) and select Add to CD, it will start making a list in Media Player to be burnt into a music cd.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Athens, he said it's a Dell, not a Sony.

As noted above an "upgrade" installation of XP Pro over Home will be less hassle and reduce (maybe to zero) the issues you may have to deal with regarding what you've already installed. If you haven't had it long, there's probably no problem with doing it that way.

DO NOT SKIP INSTALLING A GOOD ANTIVIRUS PACKAGE!!!!! Your school probably provides one for free-INSTALL IT NOW. The bad guys target Windows platforms because of their ubiquity, so you will be vulnerable if you don't use a good package. (Macs aren't immune to viruses as such, they're just less easily compromised and with a smaller market share, a nasty virus on Macs won't do nearly the damage a milder virus would on Windows machines.)

I've had Dell laptops for several years, and as long as you don't do what they show in those awful "dorm life" commercials, you'll be fine.

ops, I prob rewrote it as a sony after IE crashed and I had to rewrite what I originally wrote. I had a more detailed better post originally, my bad. Either-way Dell, Sony they all have original software that sucks.

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 10:48 PM

Be sure yo backup drivers, cause sometimes it is hard to find drivers for notebook parts amd you'll 'end with malfunctioning notebook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules