Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.5 install issue on Powerbook 12"

10.5 install issue on Powerbook 12"
ashishn
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2010, 01:42 AM

Hi,

Battery of my Powerbook 12" 1.33 GHz (running 10.5.8) purchased in Oct-04 had died so bought new via a friend from Other World Computing. When i was charging the battery, Software Update showed number of updates including security update 2010-005. On rebooting, it didnt get past grey screen with Apple logo for a long time so i switched off and tried again but no luck.

I first did disk repair by booting from install DVD. it fixed some errors but didnt boot after restart.

So thought of reinstalling Leopard but installer failed at same point three time. Looks like my DVD is damaged. I have a Macbook pro so i tried installing remotely using 'Remote Install Mac OS X' application which allows over Ethernet or Airport. I use Airport so chose that after inserting install DVD in MBP Botted Powerbook with Option key pressed but Powerbook didnt detect network.

On booting direclty from install DVD, i found that Airport remain turned off after every restart even if I turn it on and restart.
I Tried to connect MBP and PB using Ethernet cable but still no detection of network driver by PB.

I tried to make a disk image of the DVD which DiskUtil did without throwing error and checksum of DVD and dmg were same. Could my DVD really be damaged or there is a problem with my Powerbook's DVD drive?

i tried to mount the install DVD image and then use in Remote Install app but still not detected as network boot by PB on Airport or Ethernet. Once PB started showing blinking earth like icon which converted to a folder with question mark and finally grey stop sign !!!

I dont have a matching firewire cable to connect MBP and PB so havent tried it yet.

Any advice on how to resolve this.

Thanks,
Ashish
( Last edited by ashishn; Oct 25, 2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Title update)

ibook_steve
Oct 25, 2010, 12:23 PM

Yes, target mode would be what I would try next.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Yes, target mode would be what I would try next.

Steve
Why would you try that? Installing OS X from an Intel Mac onto a PPC Mac's HDD is only going to guarantee that it won't boot. Same with Remote Install. The OP will have to do this either from another PPC Mac or get the PowerBook/DVD to work properly.

ashishn  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2010, 04:21 AM

i have to buy FW cable first which is a rarity in India so it will take time searching and buying. it sells on ebay.in but delivery won;t happen in 1-2 days.
I found following steps for target mode installation.

Put the iMac in Target Disk Mode (with the install DVD in the iMac) and boot the PowerBook from the install DVD over FireWire. That way, the installer will be running natively on the hardware being installed to, and it will allow installation to the PowerBook's APM-formatted hard disk. (In essence, you're using the iMac as a wildly overpriced external DVD drive.)
In steps:
1. Restart the iMac with the T key held.
2. Insert install DVD in iMac.
3. Connect both Macs using a FireWire cable.
4. Restart the PowerBook with the Option key held.
5. Select the install DVD and run the installer.

Can anyone comment why Powerbook cannot go on network when booting using Option key. it is neither detecting Airport nor Ethernet networks. How to solve this issue?
Do i need to connect MBP and PB directly using ethernet cable or via router?
( Last edited by ashishn; Oct 26, 2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: correction)

ibook_steve
Oct 26, 2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why would you try that? Installing OS X from an Intel Mac onto a PPC Mac's HDD is only going to guarantee that it won't boot. Same with Remote Install. The OP will have to do this either from another PPC Mac or get the PowerBook/DVD to work properly.
Huh? With target mode, the optical disk should mount on the Powerbook as just any other drive, allowing for an install. If it's just the drive that's not working in the 12", this should work following the procedure the OP just added.

Steve

ashishn  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2010, 07:10 AM

i will try today connecting both machines directly using ethernet cable.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2010, 07:15 AM

Huh? With target mode, the optical disk should mount on the Powerbook as just any other drive, allowing for an install. If it's just the drive that's not working in the 12", this should work following the procedure the OP just added.

Steve
But to get the optical disk mounted on the Powerbook would require that the Powerbook is able to boot up, wouldn’t it? He’d have to put the Powerbook in target mode (since that’s the machine that won’t boot), and then install from the MBP, which wouldn’t work.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2010, 07:22 AM

If you target mode the MBP and then option-boot the PB, it will see the DVD in the MBP drive as a viable boot disc just fine.
Are we talking about a retail (Black) Leopard DVD? The one which came with the MBP will almost certainly not work with the PB.
If you suspect the DVD is damaged, inspect it. You should be able to see the sort of scratch which causes a consistent failure.
There are some tricks for repairing discs involving toothpaste. Gotta be worth a go before you look for a replacement.
You might also try taking a disk image of the Leopard DVD on the MBP, then burning a new copy. You could also restore the image to a firewire disk instead, much faster to install from. If the disk image fails with a read error, then your DVD is indeed damaged.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ashishn  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2010, 07:54 AM

I tried creating dmg from DVD. It happened without any error. If disk was damaged then Disk Utils should have stopped, right?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2010, 12:37 PM

Right. Could be a problem with the PB hard disk, or possibly a memory error of some kind. Try pulling extra RAM chip if it has one. Then try the install again.
There is an outside chance that the optical drive you used to take the image is just better at reading slightly dodgy discs. You could still burn a fresh copy and try again too, but you'll need to get a dual layer DVD. Go careful with those, they scratch easy and fail after a very short period of time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ashishn  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2010, 07:35 AM

Steve
I connected PB and MBP directly via Ethernet cable, started Remote Install Mac OS X app, started CD/DVD sharing from Preferences, booted PB with Option key pressed but PB didn't detect remote drive.

Any idea why Powerbook is not detecting remote network drive shared over ethernet (via Wifi router) or WiFi? Is this meant only for Air or specific modes of Powerbook?

i have found some steps for installing from external USB driver. Will try it next. Have read USB doesn't work but people have reported success so I will try my luck.

-Ashish

ChrisF
Senior User
Oct 28, 2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ashishn View Post
Any idea why Powerbook is not detecting remote network drive shared over ethernet (via Wifi router) or WiFi? Is this meant only for Air or specific modes of Powerbook?
Remote install isn't going to work on any PowerPC Mac. As someone else suggested, your best bet is to put your Macbook Pro into target mode with the install DVD there, and hold the option key– or maybe the C key will work– on your Powerbook while booting.

ibook_steve
Oct 28, 2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ashishn View Post
I connected PB and MBP directly via Ethernet cable, started Remote Install Mac OS X app, started CD/DVD sharing from Preferences, booted PB with Option key pressed but PB didn't detect remote drive.

i have found some steps for installing from external USB driver. Will try it next. Have read USB doesn't work but people have reported success so I will try my luck.

-Ashish
You have to use TDM with a Firewire cable. It won't work otherwise.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules