Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Percentage of People Who Are Satisfied With Their 15" Al

View Poll Results: Has your 15" Al Powerbook had any defects?
Poll Options:
Yes 49 votes (53.26%)
No 43 votes (46.74%)
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Percentage of People Who Are Satisfied With Their 15" Al
NickKohn
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 11:46 PM

Apple says the defective 15" Al books are a very low percentage. From reading these forums, one would guess it's around 50%.

So, what is it? Anyone have a clue?

I'm in the market to buy one and want to know the Vegas odds of getting a bad Book.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 12:09 AM

i don't know if this is wishful thinking, but on a trouble-shooting forum, most people would be here to report a problem and ask for help or solution. you won't see that many "hey, i'm happy" thread. so of course apple can be right, but then again, they could be blatantly lying to protect their reputation. who knows..

i hope this poll would help.
Ryan

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 02:17 AM

Your Poll is somewhat miss leading. Your thread subject says percentage of satisfiied 15" PowerBook users, you get to the page and there is a Yes/No question, then you ask a question, which yields an opposite result if you don't read the poll question, which many might due because of the appearent staight forwardness of the thread subject. You would be a good poller for some company trying to promote their product I think M$ is hiring

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 05:03 AM

I agree that the way the post title vs. the poll question are worded, many people will click the opposite of what they meant.

But in addition, just as people are more motivated to post if there's a problem, they're probably more motivated to VOTE if there's a problem too! A few people will certainly post--or vote--out of satisfaction with their machine. But I don't think we'll get useful stats this way.

Which is too bad, because I'm curious too... seeing as how I have an AlBook 15 on backorder
nagromme

BenN
Nov 18, 2003, 07:50 AM

<-- One very satisfied 15" AlBook owner (no defects).

I sold my rev.A 12" AlBook to fund the 15" purchase, and if anything the quality control in the 15" is a lot better:

- No wobble
- Doesn't get hot, even with prolonged 100% CPU load
- No split between seams
- No dead pixels

I sympathize with people now thinking of ordering a 15", or waiting for delivery, with all the bad press & horror stories around. I guess its the luck of the draw - I've not suffered from the white spots, noises, latch problems etc.

I ordered a BTO model (5400rpm drive & single 512MB stick), and while my delivery was delayed, it was only for a couple of weeks (ordered on September 20th, delivered on October 11th).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 07:55 AM

Misleading poll I hit yes thinking I was satisfied with my 15 al. instead I voted that I have defects - not true I'm very happy (knocks on wood) and no issues with white spots.

Mike

bastion
Nov 18, 2003, 08:24 AM

LOL I hit yes too, meaning that I am satisfied.
Cheers,
Nick.

TiDual
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 08:48 AM

Me too ... I hit yes, meaning "I'm satisfied" ... this is a pretty robust effect. Do you design the Florida voting schemes too??

OMGWTFBBQ
Nov 18, 2003, 03:42 PM

I have a 15" AlBook that is 15 days old.

I have zero dead or always on pixels - for that, I am happy (knock wood).

But about 5 days into owning the thing I did start to get the white spots.

I don't really do graphic development at all on this machine and it is still entirely usable, so they aren't that big a deal to me.

Which is good, because I can't get it serviced here. The only way it would work for me is if I could take it into an Apple Store when I was in the States on a trip, and then they could swap out my hard drive into a working PowerBook and then let me leave with that.

Otherwise, I can't just not have a compter for any amount of time, and there are no repair places here.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:58 PM

I hit yes too, meaning satisified. Very misleading poll.

RGray02
Nov 20, 2003, 05:21 PM

er, nothing wrong with mine. However it does get bloody hot, especially when Im playing warcraft or playing divx.

thats kinda expected though isnt it?

What is totally cool though is that it cools down in about a minute.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

BlueCat
Nov 21, 2003, 11:01 AM

Another hands up here for "misleading poll", hence I'm replying with "YES I AM VERY SATISFIED AND NO I DO NOT HAVE ANY DEFECTS!"
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

patmcfar8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 02:14 PM

Yup, me to hit, "yes" and I love mine!

Blackstealth
Nov 21, 2003, 03:05 PM

I chose the 'yes' option as overall I'm very satisfied with mine, it arrived about a month ago after being ordered the day after they were announced (That's Apple Europe for you).

However over the last week some faint white spots have started to appear which are slightly annoying. You've got to look for them but they're definitely there. I've also had the backlit keyboard stop working once, but a restart fixed that. I'll probably send it into Apple for repair at some point in the New year as I can't afford to be without my 'Book for the next 3-5 weeks.
It's arrived - 15" PB 1.25Ghz - Damn is this a fine machine!

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 01:27 PM

Bought my 15"al IGhz Powerbook on November 9th - it has no defects and the screen is definately lacking any 'white spots', therefore I can say that 'YES I AM HAPPY and COMPLETELY SATISFIED!!' Its beautifully put together - a precision instrument - no creaks or groans - unlike various 'plastic' PC laptops I could name...!
Although 'Panther' doesn't seem to want to 'talk' to my Epson storage install software - but thats an issue to discuss in another part of MacNN forum.....
regards --- John

Forum Links
Forum Rules