Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" is now mine!

12" is now mine!
egg
Nov 28, 2003, 07:18 AM

So, as of last night, I'm now the proud owner of a nice 12" powerbook with superdrive. PC is being sold this weekend :-)

Just a few problems: no panther in the box + a slight wobble when on my desk.

Also, I have no idea how to do anything! In panther, you can tab between windows - how do you do this in 10.2 ???

Ah the joys of learning a new OS.. :-)

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 07:50 AM

ehhh, alt-tab should work in 10.2 as well, it just tabs through the icons in your dock instead of the cool popup :-)

congrats on your new albook...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

videian28
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 08:04 AM

congrats on the new purchase!

I unfortunatly also have the "wobble" have not yet had a chance to send it in to be fixed

other than that it is perfect

egg  (op)
Nov 28, 2003, 08:34 AM

im not going to send mine in just yet (having only just received it!!)... i'm gonna try the 'flexing' trick first, and see if that helps.

jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 09:27 AM

Add mine to the list of machines with the "wobble" - but the Airport Extreme is on my short list of things needing fixing, the wobble isn't. I rarely use it on a hard surface long enough for it to bother me, for now at least.

I love this machine. Once I get the wireless sorted out, this will be perfect for me.

J
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

BlueCat
Nov 28, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by egg:
So, as of last night, I'm now the proud owner of a nice 12" powerbook with superdrive. PC is being sold this weekend :-)

Just a few problems: no panther in the box + a slight wobble when on my desk.

Also, I have no idea how to do anything! In panther, you can tab between windows - how do you do this in 10.2 ???

Ah the joys of learning a new OS.. :-)
Congrats on your new PB. As for ALT-Tab, upgrade to Panther and you'll get the Alt-Tab you expect from Windows plus more (including the ability to click on an icon in the popup.

Oh another thing ... I don't you about you but when I first switched (4 weeks back) I had some time trying to figure out the CTRL-Tab equivalent in OS X. Just in case you're interested it's Alt-` ... i.e. the backquote character above the tab key.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 11:41 PM

All these wobbling 12 inch machines -- are they all warped or is the TABLE? I thought mine wobbled, but it turned out to be a slight warp of the table top. Might do to turn the machine 90 degreens and see if the wobble moves with the machine rotation vs stays aligned the same way relative to the table top.

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:05 AM

Mine showed up this morning, and I'm in heaven. This machine absolutely kicks..... Spent half of the day installing stuff, and now that I'm done with work, I can spend a little time just enjoying the thing!

CharD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 02:58 AM

We need to get used to the wobble. Same problem when I purchased mine a month ago (Panther 10% discount night). Took back to Apple Store, they said, "Yes, many 12" PBs wobble a bit...". As in, that's life with a 12" PB. So no problem - I just put a small rubber stick at the hinge end (from my Wacom tablet) and it is fine. The Apple Store guy strongly discouraged trying to flex it back to a wobbleless state. This is one sweet, little powerhouse.
G5 Dual, 12" Au PB, Nikon Coolscan IV ED, Epson 1200 scanner, Canon i950 printer; Sony GV-D900, Sony DCR-TRV900, Canon D60, Nikon 990, Canon S400 Yes, too much stuff :cool:

toans
Nov 29, 2003, 07:18 AM

Since I've had my Rev A 12 inch PB, I have always placed it on top of a magazine the same size - for two reasons. Firstly, I can slide it around my desk as much as I want without tearing the rubber feet off, and secondly, It doesn't wobble (I'm not even sure if my PB does wobble at all).

This works well for me, the magazine weighs hardly anything, and it can be picked up with the PB as if it's part of it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules