Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Overrated

Overrated (Page 4)
ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2021, 11:11 AM

I hadn’t combed through SBR’s ingredients. Now I’m going to have to do some serious research to find a better and safer sauce.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
May 17, 2021, 12:02 PM

SBR used to be no corn syrup. They must have been bought and changed the recipe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 17, 2021, 04:47 PM

Apparently SBR also make a "No Sugar Added" version that's sweetened with allulose (from figs and raisins) and sucralose (from a lab where they figure out the tastiest ways to get cancer).

andi*pandi
May 17, 2021, 05:11 PM

Stubbs has no corn syrup, but it does have corn starch. Gotta get those corn byproducts in somehow.

Thorzdad
May 17, 2021, 05:39 PM

It’s so easy to DIY bbq sauce, I just don’t see the need to buy any.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2021, 04:04 AM

I tried once, but it was awful, and I dropped the idea.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Stubbs has no corn syrup, but it does have corn starch. Gotta get those corn byproducts in somehow.
Corn goes great with tacos!

There’s a place here which has a pretty fantastic Hawaiian BBQ pork taco. They put jalapeños in it though, which I’d prefer they didn’t.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2021, 06:33 AM

French food is overrated, but French cooking is not.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2021, 11:39 AM

I’ll go along with “much of” French food being overrated. But escargot, if done even modestly well, is great. Honestly, it’s an excuse for eating garlicky melted cheese, so I don’t see a problem….

There’s a regional restaurant chain here called La Madeleine. They serve “French country cuisine.” AWESOME. They cook with “food” not ingredients, it’s always fresh, and the only fancy* dishes they do are a couple of desserts and baked goods. Sadly, they were to build a restaurant quite close to my home, but the stupid pandemic stomped on those dreams…. The most “local” to me of their restaurants are far enough away that to-go hot food becomes “warmish.” Stupid pandemic.

Anyway, to me it’s like “all smoked salmon is wonderful.” Not even close. “Good” smoked salmon is quite yummy - and I’m not a fan of fish at all. Not quite so “good” smoked salmon (maybe “less expensive?”) is not nearly as yummy, much fishier, and with a texture I just don’t care for.

*”Fancy” to me is Strawberries Romanov, or some more complex tortes and such. A galette, an omelette, some GOOD French roast coffee, and a quiet, yet not solitary dining experience is one heck of a breakfast outing for me. (Stupid pandemic….). They make - and sell in jars!!!! - a tomato basil soupe that is amazing; rich, well bodied, yet light. Crud. Now I have to go buy a couple of jars….

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
May 18, 2021, 11:46 AM

Was going to object to "French food is overrated" simply on the basis of escargot, too. So good.
Also, French pastries and other desserty things are heavenly. Also: croissants and baguettes.

andi*pandi
May 18, 2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

There’s a place here which has a pretty fantastic Hawaiian BBQ pork taco. They put jalapeños in it though, which I’d prefer they didn’t.
Corn itself I have no issue with, especially fresh... corn meal, tortilla chips, etc all good. I have a friend who is deeply allergic to sulfur, and part of the processing of corn byproducts involves soaking in sulfur, which makes HFCS, corn starch, etc, all suspect.

I love french food because BUTTER. and PORK. and JULIA CHILD.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2021, 01:17 PM

Never got into escargot, unfortunately.

Past that, I notice a distinct lack of actual dishes when it comes to singing the praises of French food.

French baked goods are not overrated.

And the corn thing was just me making up an excuse to talk about BBQ tacos.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2021, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It’s so easy to DIY bbq sauce, I just don’t see the need to buy any.
I made my own when we did Whole 30. It was...fine...but I think I like some kind of sweetness in my BBQ, and there just wasn't any.

Originally Posted by subego View Post

We like this Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad and usually eat it as a main dish. We use Feta instead of Queso Fresco.

Forum Links
Forum Rules